RR short excerpt: Females, and other frustrations

Old November 19th 03, 05:02 AM
Kathleen

Default RR short excerpt: Females, and other frustrations

Mojo Deluxe wrote:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

A two foot drop would certainly have given me pause. Honestly, I'm sure
it would have brought me to a screeching halt.

You'll get to where you won't give it a second thought. With a momentum,
roll off with your butt over the back wheel. Now a four foot drop.....

I've been riding since '97. I won't do a two foot drop. It hurts way
too much when you mess up. I have people who count on me and I can't
afford to get banged up. There are risks inherent to the sport - I
accept those in exchange for the physical and mental benefits. But I
don't really push the envelope much. I think when your kids are little,
you don't really have the right to deliberately put yourself at risk.

Kathleen

Old November 19th 03, 05:23 AM
Paladin

Kathleen wrote:

tcmedara wrote:
I finally had to chalk it up to the fact that she must have been a
beginner with a lot of money, which requires a little grace and
patience
on my part. She was blonde, too.

paladino

Rich, blonde...maybe it was a sign from the

.....mtb gods that you were getting to obsessed with the bike and
needed other distractions

I think Paladin pegged it right; she was a beginner with nice stuff. She
might have bought it herself, or she may have been outfitted by an SO
optimistic about creating a new mtb convert. Even so, the subsequent
outburst was understandable under the circumstances, and, if it's any
consolation I suspect that she was probably far more unnerved by their
encounter than he was, whether she heard the "bitch" thing or not.

Kathleen

Well, here are some more details, fwiw. Her SO had passed me (he was a bit of a jerk trail hog, too) and told me there was one behind him. The right thing to do. And come to think of it, she did look fairly tentative and scared at the point she crested this rise, looked down to see me on this narrow trail.

But sometimes, things just hit you wrong, or push your buttons, and I seriously doubt she could have heard me yell back at her, as I stood there for about a minute trying to believe this really happened.

And yelling like that was good therapy.

Regarding the alternate route, she probably was a relative newb to this
trail, out with the boyfriend or husband. So I'll give that excuse to
her, that she either didn't know about it, or was too scared to take it.

This is a very popular trail (especially in the gravity-assisted
direction) and traffic control is a frequent challenge. I had hoped
that 30degf and nearly dark would free it up more.

I still love women.

paladin

Old November 19th 03, 06:18 AM
Mojo Deluxe

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Mojo Deluxe wrote:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

A two foot drop would certainly have given me pause. Honestly, I'm sure
it would have brought me to a screeching halt.

You'll get to where you won't give it a second thought. With a momentum,
roll off with your butt over the back wheel. Now a four foot drop.....

I've been riding since '97. I won't do a two foot drop. It hurts way
too much when you mess up. I have people who count on me and I can't
afford to get banged up. There are risks inherent to the sport - I
accept those in exchange for the physical and mental benefits. But I
don't really push the envelope much. I think when your kids are little,
you don't really have the right to deliberately put yourself at risk.

A two foot drop is about as risky as I like to get.

Old November 19th 03, 11:48 AM
Stephen Baker

Kathleen says:

But I
don't really push the envelope much. I think when your kids are little,
you don't really have the right to deliberately put yourself at risk.

Ssssshhhhhh....... My youngest is 18, and I'm still using that one.

Steve
Old November 19th 03, 12:24 PM
Kathleen

Stephen Baker wrote:
Kathleen says:

But I
don't really push the envelope much. I think when your kids are little,
you don't really have the right to deliberately put yourself at risk.

Ssssshhhhhh....... My youngest is 18, and I'm still using that one.

Uh, okay... Change "little" to "financially dependent".

Kathleen

Old November 19th 03, 12:30 PM
Stephen Baker

Kathleen says:

Uh, okay... Change "little" to "financially dependent".

Poifect! heheh...

Steve
Old November 19th 03, 01:53 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 04:45 GMT, Mojo Deluxe penned:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

A two foot drop would certainly have given me pause. Honestly, I'm
sure it would have brought me to a screeching halt.

You'll get to where you won't give it a second thought. With a
momentum, roll off with your butt over the back wheel. Now a four foot
drop.....

I hope I will get to that point. I was just trying to convey that maybe
the turn-off point described didn't look like an option to the oncoming
rider.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Old November 19th 03, 02:26 PM
Pat

Well, here are some more details, fwiw. Her SO had passed me (he was a

bit of a jerk trail hog, too) and told me there was one behind him. The
right thing to do. And come to think of it, she did look fairly tentative
and scared at the point she crested this rise, looked down to see me on this
narrow trail.

But sometimes, things just hit you wrong, or push your buttons, and I

seriously doubt she could have heard me yell back at her, as I stood there
for about a minute trying to believe this really happened.

And yelling like that was good therapy.

paladin

Yeah, so what did you yell at the boyfriend? Easy to yell at the woman,
right?

Pat in TX

Old November 19th 03, 02:57 PM
Mojo Deluxe

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 04:45 GMT, Mojo Deluxe penned:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

A two foot drop would certainly have given me pause. Honestly, I'm
sure it would have brought me to a screeching halt.

You'll get to where you won't give it a second thought. With a
momentum, roll off with your butt over the back wheel. Now a four foot
drop.....

I hope I will get to that point. I was just trying to convey that maybe
the turn-off point described didn't look like an option to the oncoming
rider.

Oh, your point was well taken. Sometimes, when I come up on something that
is a little extreme for my skills/courage, I come to a screeching halt. I
either get off, and walk it, or come up with a plan of attack, and ride it.
This only applies to trails I've 'never' ridden.

Old November 19th 03, 02:59 PM
Mark Hickey

"Mojo Deluxe" wrote:

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message

A two foot drop would certainly have given me pause. Honestly, I'm sure
it would have brought me to a screeching halt.

You'll get to where you won't give it a second thought. With a momentum,
roll off with your butt over the back wheel. Now a four foot drop.....

A planned two foot drop is one thing, but one that's "forced on you"
by circumstance can be much more intimidating. It sounds like she was
made a bad decision when faced with what she perceived as a choice
between two risky options - it's a shame she didn't consider the third
one - to slow/stop to let you by.

She probably drives an Escalade (to those lucky enough not to know
what that is, it's the biggest, ugliest SUV on earth*, by the worst
most inconsiderate drivers according to my anecdotal evidence).

*not counting the Hummer, but at least it's a real off-road vehicle
unlike the Escalade.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com