ghent tragedy

Old November 27th 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

Default ghent tragedy

Phil Cook wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:

Keeff57 wrote:
Phil Cook Wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP
-Gah! What a tragedy.-

-I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke-
-and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody-
-ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails. I suppose that there-
-will now be a long hard look at the rails at velodromes with a view
to replacing them with boarded fences.-

There's a new velodrome in Gent now. Built a couple of years ago.
Presumably the 6 is held there now?

Judging by this pic they still have the metal rails
http://www.cyclingnews.com/track.php...nt065/DSC_0098

Those are the outside rails, they must be somewhere on the high
banking in that pic.

This shows the inside rails which are pretty frightening
http://www.lancsroadclub.org.uk/phot...t/PICT0322.JPG

Ice hockey style perspex walls would be great. Even better, a perspex
track and all round seating. You can fit a lot more people in that way.
;-)

...d

Old November 27th 06, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

I'm sure they still race at the "outmoded" c.1967 stadium.
They only track fatality I can ever recall is a Japanese bloke (Hirama?) who
fell in a motor pace race and got run over by some 2008cc beast following
behind.
F*c*nk noisy things they were too.
John
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

"Dan Gregory" wrote in message
Keeff57 wrote:
Phil Cook Wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP
-Gah! What a tragedy.-

-I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke-
-and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody-
-ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails. I suppose that there-
-will now be a long hard look at the rails at velodromes with a view
to-
-replacing them with boarded fences.-

Hi

Old November 27th 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Phil Cook tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

No, the "new" track is a 250m one (a bit big for a six day race) which
was built in 1988 and recently had a roof built over it.

Izzat the Blaarmeersen one, or have the greedy wossnames got THREE
velodromes? Blaarmeersen has a roof over the track itself, but is open in
the centre, which means that under certain wind conditions, things can get a
little fraught.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old November 27th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

David Martin wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:

Judging by this pic they still have the metal rails
http://www.cyclingnews.com/track.php...nt065/DSC_0098

Those are the outside rails, they must be somewhere on the high
banking in that pic.

This shows the inside rails which are pretty frightening
http://www.lancsroadclub.org.uk/phot...t/PICT0322.JPG

Ice hockey style perspex walls would be great. Even better, a perspex
track and all round seating. You can fit a lot more people in that way.
;-)

They already fit a shedload in, standing in the middelplein with a
beer or two in you is a good way to get dizzy, and there is something
very evocative about the thundering sound heard under the track where
there are more bars. BEER is the real reason to go to the Ghent Six,
the cycling is secondary :-)
Old November 27th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Dave Larrington wrote:

In ,
Phil Cook tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

No, the "new" track is a 250m one (a bit big for a six day race) which
was built in 1988 and recently had a roof built over it.

Izzat the Blaarmeersen one, or have the greedy wossnames got THREE
velodromes? Blaarmeersen has a roof over the track itself, but is open in
the centre, which means that under certain wind conditions, things can get a
little fraught.

I thought Keeff was confusing the roofing over of Blaarmeersen and
it's renaming as the Eddy Merckx Velodrome as a new one. As I
understand it there are just two 'dromes in Ghent, and it's the 166m
one in a smoky shed that is used for the six day. IIUC it was rebuilt
after a fire in the 60's
Old November 27th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

Dave Larrington wrote:

In ,
Phil Cook tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:

No, the "new" track is a 250m one (a bit big for a six day race)
which was built in 1988 and recently had a roof built over it.

Izzat the Blaarmeersen one, or have the greedy wossnames got THREE
velodromes? Blaarmeersen has a roof over the track itself, but is
open in the centre, which means that under certain wind conditions,
things can get a little fraught.

I thought Keeff was confusing the roofing over of Blaarmeersen and
it's renaming as the Eddy Merckx Velodrome as a new one. As I
understand it there are just two 'dromes in Ghent, and it's the 166m
one in a smoky shed that is used for the six day. IIUC it was rebuilt
after a fire in the 60's

(Googles)

I am out of date. Blaarmeersen has been properly roofed since I was there
(summer 2000).

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
Drugs are good, except when they kill you.

Tragedy John B UK 32 March 23rd 10 04:52 PM
Ghent tragedy Dan Gregory Racing 16 November 29th 06 02:03 PM
Another cycling tragedy. [email protected] UK 12 January 8th 06 02:11 PM
Maybe some good by this tragedy Jamie Wilson Australia 5 July 20th 05 09:54 AM
The tragedy of Vandeman. Eamon Stanley Social Issues 2 October 22nd 03 07:01 PM