Switched saddles....OUCH!

Old August 13th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

Default Switched saddles....OUCH!

On Aug 10, 1:55 am, (Dennis P. Harris)
wrote:
yep. once yer sitbones get used to it, you'll do much better.
just work up to those long rides by taking short rides on it
every day.

I tried a Terry Fly, which I wouldn't call "hard". I found it hard on
my taint despite the groove up the middle, so I returned it.

I'm curious enough to give hard saddles another shot. What kind of
shorts have you found comfortable with hard saddles? Do you prefer
thin, simple chammies, or the ones with lots of different padding
"zones"?

Also, how long should someone expect to take to get used to a hard
saddle? Two weeks/250 miles? A month/500 miles? (I know, tough
questions even for an expert, but I'll accept a good guess...)

- JR

Old August 13th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Myron Hobson

SlowRider wrote:
I tried a Terry Fly, which I wouldn't call "hard". I found it hard on
my taint despite the groove up the middle, so I returned it.

I'm curious enough to give hard saddles another shot. What kind of
shorts have you found comfortable with hard saddles? Do you prefer
thin, simple chammies, or the ones with lots of different padding
"zones"?

On my Specialized Alias, I'm good to go in jeans up to about 30 miles.
I can deal with up to 40. In my cheap Nashbar shorts, I rode a metric
century and was just starting to feel the presence of the saddle at the
very end.

Also, how long should someone expect to take to get used to a hard
saddle? Two weeks/250 miles? A month/500 miles? (I know, tough
questions even for an expert, but I'll accept a good guess...)

Took me a couple of days.
\\paul
Old August 13th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

SlowRider wrote:
[...]

A couple of days, eh? Sounds to me like you've got an iron butt, but
I'll give it a try. ;-)

Thanks!

- JR

I just switched to an XT [email protected] Australia 11 July 25th 07 10:13 PM
I switched to running too. Callistus Valerius Racing 10 November 9th 06 06:56 PM
Saddles, ouch D.M. Procida UK 11 July 26th 05 10:10 PM
Who's actually switched to longer cranks? colnalu Techniques 16 May 3rd 05 09:19 PM
Just switched from MTB to Road bike General 6 August 11th 04 11:19 PM