Bloody London Bus

Old December 6th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Bloody London Bus

I took a group of six Year 6 children (ages 10/11) out for a training
session today using busy roads including a section of 40mph dual
carriageway (South Circular Road).

I then led the group through busy shopping areas and a gyratory system
(Rushy Green, Catford). Finally we cycled through a market Street,
(Lewisham High Street/Lewis Grove, closed to all motor traffic except
busses and access).

With lights and hi-viz jackets, we made a very visible group of eight.
I passed a 180 bus, reg LF 52 TGN, and five children followed before
the bus pulled out, leaving a child and my rear instructor cut off.
When I next looked over my shoulder the bus was driving on the wrong
side of the road, overtaking others in my group, but I could see the
child who had been cut off and my co-instructor. Expecting the bus to
turn right at the lights (juction with Lee High Road), I continued
over the junction into Belmont Hill. The bus turned left, cutting off
three more children - except it couldn't. The children, realising
their peril, stopped - then the lights changed, with the bus stuck on
the wrong side of the road, me and two children across the junction,
four children and an instructor the other side, and an old lady
shaking in terror at the schizophrenic behaviour of the bus driver.

Another bus came in the opposite direction, wanting to turn right into
the road where the first bus was coming from. Of course he couldn't
turn into the road - so the jucntion became gridlockled.

Pure madness.

Hybrid satellite/map of the area:
http://tinyurl.com/y6jdyg from
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...07231&t=h&om=0
Old December 6th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Tom Crispin wrote on 06/12/2006 19:07 +0100:

Pure madness.

I hope you have written to the bus company and TfL explaining how the
bus driver put at serious peril a group of school children undergoing
qualified instruction on the roads.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old December 6th 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:23:54 +0000, Tony Raven
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote on 06/12/2006 19:07 +0100:

Pure madness.

I hope you have written to the bus company and TfL explaining how the
bus driver put at serious peril a group of school children undergoing
qualified instruction on the roads.

After I got back to school at 5pm I spent an hour on the phone to
Sainsburys Energy about a £421 overcharge for gas and electricity over
the last year! That issue was resolved with a £50 goodwill payment.

I've yet to start drafting the email.
Old December 6th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M-gineering

Tom Crispin wrote:
The children, realising
their peril, stopped - then the lights changed, with the bus stuck on
the wrong side of the road, me and two children across the junction,
four children and an instructor the other side, and an old lady
shaking in terror at the schizophrenic behaviour of the bus driver.

Another bus came in the opposite direction, wanting to turn right into
the road where the first bus was coming from. Of course he couldn't
turn into the road - so the jucntion became gridlockled.

Pure madness.

Pah, you got it easy, here a busdriver shot a cyclist today!
(ok, it was a minibus driver, the cyclist was a motorcyclist, and it was
Amsterdam)

--
---
Marten
Old December 6th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Tom Crispin wrote:
a 180 bus, reg LF 52 TGN

You should not post details like this on the internet ;-) could be libellous

Martin.
Old December 6th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin

Martin Dann writes:

Tom Crispin wrote:
a 180 bus, reg LF 52 TGN

You should not post details like this on the internet ;-) could be libellous

It's only libellous if it's untrue...
Old December 6th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:07:48 GMT, Martin Dann
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
a 180 bus, reg LF 52 TGN

You should not post details like this on the internet ;-) could be libellous

It's not a private vehicle.
Old December 6th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

Martin Dann wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
a 180 bus, reg LF 52 TGN

You should not post details like this on the internet ;-) could be libellous

As would be reposting it ;-)

John B

Old December 6th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

"M-gineering" wrote in message

Pah, you got it easy, here a busdriver shot a cyclist today!
(ok, it was a minibus driver, the cyclist was a motorcyclist, and it was
Amsterdam)

Marten

Oh dear, another of my stereotypes destroyed.
I really imagined "Amsterdammers?" to be a fairly relaxed group of road
users.
Never mind, I'll have to be careful there also now.

--
John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

Bloody media wafflycat UK 25 September 26th 06 11:06 AM
Bloody AUK Arthur Clune UK 75 March 1st 06 11:25 AM
bloody redheads the unicycle man Australia 0 September 22nd 05 11:19 AM
2005 London Edinburgh London Audax Information Gavin Gilbert UK 74 January 19th 05 02:59 PM