The School Run

Old December 15th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

Default The School Run

Today I was cycling local errands at 3pm. School Run time :-(

Twice a car/van half overtook and turned on left indicator while
still alongside! I think the kiddie in the first learned some new words....

.... the second lost some business because I was actually on my way to the
farm shop whose name was on the side of the van and I went elsewhere.
Their produce is good, so I'll go and have a quiet word when calmer.

Mike
Old December 15th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sam Salt

Mike Causer wrote:
Today I was cycling local errands at 3pm. School Run time :-(

Twice a car/van half overtook and turned on left indicator while
still alongside! I think the kiddie in the first learned some new words....

... the second lost some business because I was actually on my way to the
farm shop whose name was on the side of the van and I went elsewhere.
Their produce is good, so I'll go and have a quiet word when calmer.

Mike

For School Run madness,read this:-

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...505121,00.html

Sam Salt
Old December 15th 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

On 15/12/2006 20:09, Mike Causer said,

... the second lost some business because I was actually on my way to the
farm shop whose name was on the side of the van and I went elsewhere.

That to me is one of the surprising things about companies with their
name emblazoned all over the van. They're easily identifiable - I've
been carved up by a courier, but I won't mention TNT by name (oops),
then a few days later I had a call at work from a TNT sales rep
wondering if we would like to consider using them. I calmly explained
why I wouldn't be!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old December 15th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Paul Boyd wrote:

On 15/12/2006 20:09, Mike Causer said,

... the second lost some business because I was actually on my way to the
farm shop whose name was on the side of the van and I went elsewhere.

That to me is one of the surprising things about companies with their
name emblazoned all over the van. They're easily identifiable - I've
been carved up by a courier, but I won't mention TNT by name (oops),
then a few days later I had a call at work from a TNT sales rep
wondering if we would like to consider using them. I calmly explained
why I wouldn't be!

hence the "i am driving responsibly?" stickers on a number of firms
vans.

roger
Old December 15th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

"Paul Boyd" wrote in message
On 15/12/2006 20:09, Mike Causer said,

... the second lost some business because I was actually on my way to the
farm shop whose name was on the side of the van and I went elsewhere.

That to me is one of the surprising things about companies with their name
emblazoned all over the van. They're easily identifiable - I've been
carved up by a courier, but I won't mention TNT by name (oops), then a few
days later I had a call at work from a TNT sales rep wondering if we would
like to consider using them. I calmly explained why I wouldn't be! Paul
Boyd

When an "American Circus" motor carved me up in Bradford I took thei posters
and flyers out of our showroom and persuaded the sandwich shop opposite to
do the same.
A Hewden Hire van cuts me up most weeks. When their rep called I told him
why I won't use them.

--
John Clayton
www.ossettmouldings.com

Old December 15th 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Josey

"Paul Boyd" wrote in message
They're easily identifiable - I've
been carved up by a courier, but I won't mention TNT by name (oops),

A TNT Van nearly reversed over me while on a pavement today. It was *VERY*
close. First time I every recall being aided by a "vehicle reversing" noise.

I was of course walking at the time, not on the bike.

Jc.

Old December 15th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR

"Josey" nospam@josey wrote

A TNT Van nearly reversed over me while on a pavement today. It was
*VERY* close. First time I every recall being aided by a "vehicle
reversing" noise.

I was of course walking at the time, not on the bike.

You should post this on uk.transport. Motor vehicles are never driven on
pavements. Apparently.

Old December 16th 06, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"Roger Merriman" wrote in message
. uk...
Paul Boyd wrote:

On 15/12/2006 20:09, Mike Causer said,

That to me is one of the surprising things about companies with their
name emblazoned all over the van. They're easily identifiable - I've
been carved up by a courier, but I won't mention TNT by name (oops),
then a few days later I had a call at work from a TNT sales rep
wondering if we would like to consider using them. I calmly explained
why I wouldn't be!

hence the "i am driving responsibly?" stickers on a number of firms
vans.

After being cut up three or four times within a six miles by the driver of a
Telewest van in Bradford, I was angry and motivated enough to record the
'How's my driving' phone number and registration details of the offending
van. The phone numbers on vans and trucks belong to agencies which record
the complaints, collate them and then pass them on to fleet operators.

Apparently, the schemes reduce insurance premiums for fleet operators.

If the average driver's memory is a flakey as mine and writing materials are
not to hand in the car when bad van/truck driving is observed then a lot of
incidents will go unrecorded.

-=V=-

Old December 16th 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"DavidR" wrote in message
"Josey" nospam@josey wrote

A TNT Van nearly reversed over me while on a pavement today. It was
*VERY* close. First time I every recall being aided by a "vehicle
reversing" noise.

I was of course walking at the time, not on the bike.

You should post this on uk.transport. Motor vehicles are never driven on
pavements. Apparently.

Just don't crosspost, please!

Old December 16th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mark

vernon wrote:
After being cut up three or four times within a six miles by the driver of a
Telewest van in Bradford, I was angry and motivated enough to record the
'How's my driving' phone number and registration details of the offending
van. The phone numbers on vans and trucks belong to agencies which record
the complaints, collate them and then pass them on to fleet operators.

Apparently, the schemes reduce insurance premiums for fleet operators.

If the average driver's memory is a flakey as mine and writing materials are
not to hand in the car when bad van/truck driving is observed then a lot of
incidents will go unrecorded.

-=V=-

Lots of cell phones have a digital voice recorder built into them that
is quite handy for this kind of thing. Otherwise a digital voice
recorder is not that expensive.

I still think a polite phone call to the company owning the vehicle,
describing the offending behavior in a calm, objective manner, will
produce the best results.

mark

Highland Middle School Bicycle to School Day Claire Petersky General 5 May 23rd 06 02:25 AM
WTB: Gears for old-school XT 6SP Hub... Ron Mandel Marketplace 0 September 23rd 04 07:40 PM
Cokering to school nathan Unicycling 19 January 16th 04 12:24 PM
School run and run... Colin Blackburn UK 20 October 3rd 03 03:35 PM
Cycling to School Richard Bates UK 10 September 5th 03 12:36 AM