Performance Bike: finances?

Old February 8th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Performance Bike: finances?

Last night's "Special!" email from PerfBike tickled something in my
brain. Why are they so desperately seeking business that has to hit
the bank by February 11? Not exactly one of the traditional financial
deadlines. Are they having cash flow problems? Anyone here know the
inside skinny on Performance?
Old February 8th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Last night's "Special!" email from PerfBike tickled something in my
brain. Why are they so desperately seeking business that has to hit
the bank by February 11? Not exactly one of the traditional financial
deadlines. Are they having cash flow problems? Anyone here know the
inside skinny on Performance?

There is a rumor that the company is being packaged for sale to... the same
folk who just purchased Cannondale. Rumor only at this stage.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old February 8th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Feb 8, 5:04*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Last night's "Special!" email from PerfBike tickled something in my
brain. *Why are they so desperately seeking business that has to hit
the bank by February 11? *Not exactly one of the traditional financial
deadlines. *Are they having cash flow problems? *Anyone here know the
inside skinny on Performance?

There is a rumor that the company is being packaged for sale to... the same
folk who just purchased Cannondale.

With Cannondale and Schwinn as "house brands" . Wow.......

Rumor only at this stage.

Old February 9th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
peter

On Feb 8, 3:53 pm, Ben Pfaff wrote:
writes:
Last night's "Special!" email from PerfBike tickled something in my
brain. Why are they so desperately seeking business that has to hit
the bank by February 11? Not exactly one of the traditional financial
deadlines. Are they having cash flow problems? Anyone here know the
inside skinny on Performance?

Wouldn't surprise me if they're having cash flow problems:
they're closing my local store.
--
"The road to hell is paved with convenient shortcuts."
--Peter da Silva

OTOH, they just opened one a few miles from me (in Dublin, Calif.).
Old February 9th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Wouldn't surprise me if they're having cash flow problems:
they're closing my local store.
--
"The road to hell is paved with convenient shortcuts."
--Peter da Silva

Where us that???

We're losing one here in Redwood City. Not real happy about that. I'd rather
see them stay in town, and keep more cycling money "local." My first choice
would be to have a store as close as possible to one. Could always be one of
those "be careful what you wish for" things though! :)

So far, we've outlasted quite a number of bike shops in the area. That's
unfortunate; well-run bike shops support cycling and increase the popularity
of the activity. If enough shops close, support could fall below the level
where cycling is something convenient, and then even the remaining stores
see declines in sales.

"Bruce Gilbert" wrote in message

"Ben Pfaff" wrote in message
writes:

Last night's "Special!" email from PerfBike tickled something in my
brain. Why are they so desperately seeking business that has to hit
the bank by February 11? Not exactly one of the traditional financial
deadlines. Are they having cash flow problems? Anyone here know the
inside skinny on Performance?

Wouldn't surprise me if they're having cash flow problems:
they're closing my local store.
--
"The road to hell is paved with convenient shortcuts."
--Peter da Silva

Where us that???

Bruce

Old February 9th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 8, 5:04 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Last night's "Special!" email from PerfBike tickled something in my
brain. Why are they so desperately seeking business that has to hit
the bank by February 11? Not exactly one of the traditional financial
deadlines. Are they having cash flow problems? Anyone here know the
inside skinny on Performance?

There is a rumor that the company is being packaged for sale to... the same
folk who just purchased Cannondale. Rumor only at this stage.

Eurrgh...

Su-perf-bar-go-dale? [1]

Sounds like a new yuppie candy bar, I mean, energy bar.

Pat

[1] Sugoi, Performance, Nashbar, Supergo, Cannondale
Old February 9th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
sally

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
:
We're losing one here in Redwood City. Not real happy about that. I'd
rather see them stay in town, and keep more cycling money "local." My
first choice would be to have a store as close as possible to one. Could
always be one of those "be careful what you wish for" things though!
:)

The Redwood City Performance store has been terrible for 10 years or more.
If it was an independent store, it would have gone out of business long ago.
Their stock is terrible; only a fraction of what is in the catalog or most
independent shops. Stuff in their sale fliers was rarely in stock at the
store. The Performance store down the street in Mountain View is much
better, though that one has gone sharply downhill since Performance took it
over from Supergo.

To me, Performance stores in general don't make a lot of sense. Their
catalog might work because of the wide variety of products they sell.
However, if the stores carry only a fraction of the selection, what's the
point? If I want a part today, I'll just go to an indepent store that is
more likely to have it in stock.