Freeways with bike lanes

Old March 8th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Freeways with bike lanes

ZBicyclist aka Mike Kruger wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
ZBicyclist aka Mike Kruger wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
says...
US 101, south of Seacliff, CA. Quite a few miles of bike lanes,
clearly marked as such on the pavement itself. It was basically
the shoulder demarcated with a solid white line, with the bike lane
itself being six feet wide.

Any others out there?
Not designated bike lanes per se, but in the State of Washington,
all freeway shoulders, including interstates, are open to bicycles
except for a few segments in dense urban areas.
There are some bridge crossings on expressways in Missouri. I've
crossed (1) and (3), which are marked with signage but no lines on
the pavement. (1) I-72 expressway from the last Missouri exit to the
first
Illinois exit near Hannibal. This is the result of lobbying by bike
groups in the area, who otherwise would have no way to ride across
the Mississippi River for many miles in either direction.

(2) US 67 bridge across the Mississippi at Alton. IIRC, this is a
bike lane. US 67 is limited access, but not a true expressway.

(3) MO 367 expressway across the Missouri at St. Charles.

(4) MO 364 expressway across the Missouri between St. Charles and
Weldon Spring. I think this is a bike lane separated by a barrier.

Bridge crossings are really a different category, of course.

Go to the Quad Cities some time. Five bridges across the Mississippi
River, and only two are accessible to cyclists and pedestrians.

Which two?

I see I-80, I-280, I-74, US 67, and 24th/2nd via Rock Island. I'm guessing
it's the last two, but as you know from my postings I've been wrong before.

The Centennial Bridge (US-67) is open to cyclists as is the swing span
at the Rock Island Arsenal. One must wear a helmet on the latter route,
or risk getting ticketed by the MPs (although one does NOT enter the
military base proper on that route).

Hopefully the new I-74 bridge coming in a decade or so will include
cyclist and pedestrian access.

There are a few places where separate bicycle lanes are really needed,
and interstate highway bridges (or other bridges with heavy traffic
where no alternative route exists) are one of them.

I have not crossed the US-52 Mississippi River bridge at Savanna/Sabula,
but since it has two narrow lanes with a metal grate deck, it would not
be pleasant.