Waiting in traffic lines.

Old April 16th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_2_]

Default Waiting in traffic lines.

"Marz" wrote in message
When driving to work the other day (sorry, yes driving, cycling is not
really an option right now) I noticed the one cycling commuter ( a
very rare sight in Houston) and was surprised to see him wait in line
with traffic at the lights. For me, one of the reasons I did ride to
work is to avoid getting stuck in traffic lines and my question is, do
other folks wait in line or do you ride through stationary traffic?

laters,

Marz

9/10 I will ride to the head of the queue/line or past slow moving vehicles.
Sometimes if there is a bus or lorry in front and there is a chance the
lights will change before I can get past then it's not worth the risk.
Keeping in the queue just negates the advantage of being on a bike.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old April 16th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Marz" wrote in message
When driving to work the other day (sorry, yes driving, cycling is not
really an option right now) I noticed the one cycling commuter ( a
very rare sight in Houston) and was surprised to see him wait in line
with traffic at the lights. For me, one of the reasons I did ride to
work is to avoid getting stuck in traffic lines and my question is, do
other folks wait in line or do you ride through stationary traffic?

laters,

Marz

9/10 I will ride to the head of the queue/line or past slow moving
vehicles. Sometimes if there is a bus or lorry in front and there is a
chance the lights will change before I can get past then it's not worth
the risk. Keeping in the queue just negates the advantage of being on a
bike.

I often wonder what to do in Central London where I can't pass on the left
because it is too dangerous, can't pass on the right because I would be in
the path of oncoming traffic, can't filter between lanes because the gap is
too small, yet I often hear of people managing 12+mph averages in this area.
I wonder how.

Adam

Old April 17th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Adam Lea wrote:
[...]
I often wonder what to do in Central London where I can't pass on the left
because it is too dangerous, can't pass on the right because I would be in
the path of oncoming traffic, can't filter between lanes because the gap is
too small, yet I often hear of people managing 12+mph averages in this area.
I wonder how.

See http://digave.com/videos/london06-digave_com.mpg for advice on
riding in London.

Old April 17th 08, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
J. Chisholm

Simon Mason wrote:

"Marz" wrote in message
When driving to work the other day (sorry, yes driving, cycling is not
really an option right now) I noticed the one cycling commuter ( a
very rare sight in Houston) and was surprised to see him wait in line
with traffic at the lights. For me, one of the reasons I did ride to
work is to avoid getting stuck in traffic lines and my question is, do
other folks wait in line or do you ride through stationary traffic?

laters,

Marz

9/10 I will ride to the head of the queue/line or past slow moving
vehicles. Sometimes if there is a bus or lorry in front and there is a
chance the lights will change before I can get past then it's not worth
the risk. Keeping in the queue just negates the advantage of being on a
bike.

My advice is NEVER go in front of the first vehicle unless there is a
good ASL.
Take primary position behind first vehicle. The driver of the first
vehicle will be looking at the lights to see when they change, and even
if you think he should see you he may not. In addition an increasing
proportion of drivers don't realise that 'indicators' should be used in
advance of a manoeuvre to indicate intentions rather that show "I'm now
turning left", as if it isn't bloddy obvious by that stage. At a
junction I use almost daily I recon only half vehicles that are first in
Q indicate in advance that they're turn left, with the other half either
not indicating at all or only indicating as they move off to make the turn.

Similar applies to R'abouts, don't undertake first vehicle in Q but move
off behind him. In Cambridge a cyclist was killed when an HGV moved off
at a R'about when cyclist in front didn't.

Jim Chisholm
Old April 17th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

"Marz" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe with a 29er straight over the top? That would be classy.
Old April 17th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On Apr 17, 4:05*am, "J. Chisholm" wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

"Marz" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Chisholm- Hide quoted text -

Never seen an ASL in Houston and I doubt I ever will, but I agree with
not getting ahead of the first car. He's just watching for the light
to go green and has assumed that nothing is going to pull in front of
him after he's stopped for the red light.
Old April 17th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Adam Lea wrote:
[...]
I often wonder what to do in Central London where I can't pass on the
left because it is too dangerous, can't pass on the right because I would
be in the path of oncoming traffic, can't filter between lanes because
the gap is too small, yet I often hear of people managing 12+mph averages
in this area. I wonder how.

See http://digave.com/videos/london06-digave_com.mpg for advice on
riding in London.

Ah so that's the answer - use the "full width" of the road.

Old April 17th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

J. Chisholm wrote:
My advice is NEVER go in front of the first vehicle unless there is a
good ASL.

This is unduly restrictive, though I see your point. In front of the
first vehicle is much safer than beside it, so you MUST be sure you
can get into the driver's eyeline before he can move. If it's a lorry,
I'll look up at the driver and make eye contact. I also won't go in
front if that means I can't see the lights - I improve my safety a bit
more by reacting faster than the driver behind me when the lights change.

Similar applies to R'abouts, don't undertake first vehicle in Q but move
off behind him. In Cambridge a cyclist was killed when an HGV moved off
at a R'about when cyclist in front didn't.

Roundabouts (and unsignalled junctions) are different. You never know
when the first vehicle will move off, so don't try to pass it unless
there's gridlock.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Old April 17th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
No, just any bit you can squeeze through by tucking in your knees and
elbows. :-)

I have been toying with the idea of getting one of those cameras that
attaches to the bike so I can videotape my rides. I could then post the odd
one on here and ask for some advice..

Still waiting ... Steven L. Sheffield Racing 35 July 26th 06 07:16 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
muni lines steveyo Unicycling 0 January 13th 06 06:23 PM
muni lines goldenchicken Unicycling 14 January 2nd 06 08:33 PM
Waiting... PopeSamXVI Unicycling 3 June 5th 04 07:38 AM