Newbie clipless questions

Old August 14th 04, 12:22 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Default Newbie clipless questions

I spent some time with my orthopedist today discussing foot / ankle
issues, and one of his suggestions is to change the pedals on my 'bent
(RANS V-Rex). Since I was toying with the idea of switching to clipless
pedals anyway, this may kill two birds with one pedal (or is that two
pedals?)

Any suggestions on pedals that are easy for beginners to get in/out of?
(Yeah, yeah, I know, practice.) Pedal weight is not an issue, but I do
need to spread out the pressure on my feet, while hopefully not tweaking
my knees in the process.

And when I go to the LBS to look at pedals, what questions should I be
asking???

Thanks!
--

Kathy A.
Old August 14th 04, 02:45 AM
tin kicker

Kathy Applebaum Wrote:
Any suggestions on pedals that are easy for beginners to get in/out of?
(Yeah, yeah, I know, practice.) Pedal weight is not an issue, but I do
need to spread out the pressure on my feet, while hopefully not
tweaking
my knees in the process.

I recently went to Look 3.1 pedals. I have been VERY pleased with
them. The large platform combines with my Shimano shoes and I have not
had any problems with pressure points. These pedals have a large float
and that helps with my knees. The float is not adjustable on the 3.1s
but I haven't seen any problems because of that.

--
tin kicker

Old August 14th 04, 11:46 PM
PreciousBbird

Hi Kathy - I really like the EggBeaters, too. They are easy to get used
to. I don't know about knee problems and 'float'. They seem comfortable
to me and they never get gritted up. I have a HepCat, BTW. Have fun and
hope your kees like whatever you end up purchasing!

--
PreciousBbird

Old August 14th 04, 11:46 PM
M. Chandler

The most newbie-friendly clipless pedals I've found are Speedplay Frogs.
Also VERY knee friendly due to their ample float/rotation.

Old August 15th 04, 12:13 AM
®

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
.. .
I spent some time with my orthopedist today discussing foot / ankle issues,
and one of his suggestions is to change the pedals on my 'bent (RANS
V-Rex). Since I was toying with the idea of switching to clipless pedals
anyway, this may kill two birds with one pedal (or is that two pedals?)

Sounds like a good idea; but I'd also look into getting some custom
orthotics for your clipless cycling shoes. Everybody I know who has gone
with custom orthotics has said it was the best investment they've ever made
in foot comfort.

Any suggestions on pedals that are easy for beginners to get in/out of?

Yes: Be Bop pedals are by far the easiest to clip-in/and clip-out of any
pedal I have tried. They are also the most knee-friendly pedals I've tried,
with 22 degrees of free float (SPD's only have about 4 degrees of float).

Pedal weight is not an issue, but I do need to spread out the pressure on
my feet, while hopefully not tweaking my knees in the process.

They have a large cleat area to spread pressure evenly across the shoe sole.
Unlike Egg Beaters or SPD's, BeBops can be ridden with regular street shoes
in a pinch. They are also some of the lightest pedals on the market at
between 190 and 290gm/pr.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, practice.)

You will be amazed how easy it is to get used to BeBop's. I also ride
SPD's, and the difference is astounding. I hate SPD's - very difficult to
find the "pocket" when clipping in. With BeBop's, you just step down and
go. The cleat "pocket" is huge, and very easy to find by feel. Speedplay
pedals are similar in design, and may provide similar features and benefits;
but I wasn't as impressed with their cleat design. The BeBop system is a
very durable all-metal design with only one moving part.

And when I go to the LBS to look at pedals, what questions should I be
asking???

I've been riding the same 3 pairs of Be Bops for about 4 years now, and
recommend them unconditionally. Two of my Be Bops are the CrMo spindle
model, and they work great. Very tough, and suitable for any kind of
cycling.

Best of luck on your search,

Old August 15th 04, 12:33 AM
Mark Leuck

"bill marsh" wrote in message
Kathy Applebaum wrote:
I spent some time with my orthopedist today discussing foot / ankle
issues, and one of his suggestions is to change the pedals on my 'bent
(RANS V-Rex). Since I was toying with the idea of switching to clipless
pedals anyway, this may kill two birds with one pedal (or is that two
pedals?)

Any suggestions on pedals that are easy for beginners to get in/out of?
(Yeah, yeah, I know, practice.) Pedal weight is not an issue, but I do
need to spread out the pressure on my feet, while hopefully not tweaking
my knees in the process.

And when I go to the LBS to look at pedals, what questions should I be
asking???

Thanks!

Hi Kathy: I've had both SPD and now I have Eggbeaters and I have
found that the eggbeaters are a lot easier to get in and out of. I need
to lubricate my spd's with wax to make it easier it get in and out of.
The eggbeaters are great IMHO
Bill M
me and my aero

I went from SPD's to the Eggbeater Candy, while I never waxed my SPD's like
you (never knew I needed to) the Eggbeaters are much better

Old August 15th 04, 01:31 AM
Kathy Applebaum

® wrote:
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
.. .

I spent some time with my orthopedist today discussing foot / ankle issues,
and one of his suggestions is to change the pedals on my 'bent (RANS
V-Rex). Since I was toying with the idea of switching to clipless pedals
anyway, this may kill two birds with one pedal (or is that two pedals?)

Sounds like a good idea; but I'd also look into getting some custom
orthotics for your clipless cycling shoes. Everybody I know who has gone
with custom orthotics has said it was the best investment they've ever made
in foot comfort.

That was suggestion number two, but he said to get the pedals now, since
it would take a few weeks to get the orthotics done.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm reading them all and taking lots of
notes.

Kathy A.
Old August 15th 04, 03:25 AM
Jon Shinefeld

oh boy, I guess as many opinions about clipless pedals as bents.

Contrary to a previous opinion (R?) . .. based on several thousand miles,
I'd suggest avoiding Bebops. I agree, the pedals are top notch, but the
clip mech is in the shoe which leads to a couple of issues. One, you will
likely have to trim the shoe sole to accomodate the pedal's very low
profile. Two, there is a large and slippery platform to walk on that makes
hard surfaces as slippery as goose grease. Three, the clip mech on the shoe
fouls easily by walking on dirt etc, making it tough to clip in and out and
causing a really gritty float. Lubing the clip mech causes even more
fouling. I still use them because I am too cheap to replace them, but I
regularly switch pedals between BeBops and platforms for various rides.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Jon Shinefeld
Philadelphia, PA
2001 VRex
1975 Peugeot UO-10
1982 Raleigh Clubman
1997 Stumpjumper

Old August 15th 04, 03:25 AM
Gene

Kathy,

I use and like Speedplay-Frogs(Get the Mountain bike, not the Road).
They have lots of float, and are pretty easy to get in and out of,
after a little practice. They are also pretty easy to walk in when
you are off your bike. Have many miles on mine and have had NO problems.

GeneB