How many ==========

Old July 18th 03, 01:09 AM
M&M

Default How many ==========

How many miles of MTB trails can be built on 2000+ acres of land with
1000 feet in elevation changes at 8500 feet above sea level . This
land has tons of varying degrees of terrain ,a variety of forest ,
meadows cliffs , waterfalls , canyons , lakes streams , wildlife . I
am comming into some money and I am considering purchasing this
property . I am also keeping this location secret until the deal is in
the bag . Maybe one or two people in AMB may have an Idea of the
location , but I will not reveal the location , even under torture

M&M
Old July 18th 03, 07:38 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"M&M" wrote in message
m...
How many miles of MTB trails can be built on 2000+ acres of land with
1000 feet in elevation changes at 8500 feet above sea level . This
land has tons of varying degrees of terrain ,a variety of forest ,
meadows cliffs , waterfalls , canyons , lakes streams , wildlife . I
am comming into some money and I am considering purchasing this
property . I am also keeping this location secret until the deal is in
the bag . Maybe one or two people in AMB may have an Idea of the
location , but I will not reveal the location , even under torture

2000 acres...

Ok so given a nice winding path, you can have approximately 72 miles of
trail per acre (with careful management), and let's say that 30% is left
alone for some straights, wildlife, dirt jumping, etc. If you have 1000
feet of elevation, that's a 20% increase in area.

(2000 * 72 * 70%) (20% + 1) = 120960 miles of trails.

If you ever fancy riding 1/2 way to the moon, you can train in your own
property! I say buy it.

Dear Mike Vandeman,
Take your Ph.D. and shove it. I don't want to listen to your "whinging."

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 18th 03, 01:25 PM
Dave

"M&M" wrote in message
m...
How many miles of MTB trails can be built on 2000+ acres of land with
1000 feet in elevation changes at 8500 feet above sea level . This
land has tons of varying degrees of terrain ,a variety of forest ,
meadows cliffs , waterfalls , canyons , lakes streams , wildlife . I
am comming into some money and I am considering purchasing this
property . I am also keeping this location secret until the deal is in
the bag . Maybe one or two people in AMB may have an Idea of the
location , but I will not reveal the location , even under torture

M&M

Phew, it's a toughie.....best pass it over to Mike Vanderman for an accurate
unbiast response.....
Mike?...over to you.......

Dave

(bugger!!, what have I done??....sorry guys :-( )

Old July 18th 03, 06:10 PM
Jon Bond

"M&M" wrote in message
m...
How many miles of MTB trails can be built on 2000+ acres of land with
1000 feet in elevation changes at 8500 feet above sea level . This
land has tons of varying degrees of terrain ,a variety of forest ,
meadows cliffs , waterfalls , canyons , lakes streams , wildlife . I
am comming into some money and I am considering purchasing this
property . I am also keeping this location secret until the deal is in
the bag . Maybe one or two people in AMB may have an Idea of the
location , but I will not reveal the location , even under torture

M&M

Depends a lot on the terrain. You want to leave some space and not too many
intersections, and have trails ranging from fast, flowing, swoopy stuff to
twisty stuff to technical stuff. And some fireroads for access and limping
out after you tried the technical stuff

I'd say easily a couple hundred miles worth though if you design it well,
although the building will be a bitch for that much trail!

Jon Bond

Old July 18th 03, 10:01 PM
M&M

Rich wrote in message ...
M&M wrote:
How many miles of MTB trails can be built on 2000+ acres of land snip

Well, we have a 2 city block space that we've measured 7 miles of trail
on. a map would look like a disorginized spider web though, and it's
not exactly an imba approved system.

I want to keep IMBA out of this one due to the fact they have the
tendancy to 'over sanitize' construction ( from personal experience in
several areas of the country and I have seen how well the locals have
constructed their trails over cow paths without IMBA), although IMBA's
methods on how and where a trail should be laid out are very good as
far as keeping erosion at bay ( I may consult with IMBA on this part
). These trails would be open on a Permit Only basis for locals and
their guest ( free and anually ) and open to AMBers who happen to be
in the area (easier to monitor traffic and keep the trails from being
overused ). Since this property is considered to be in snow country ,
the trails would be open from May to September , perfect for when the
weather is way too hot to ride in the lower altitudes.

I plan on having 2 access roads that can be used as 'Bail out
Points' or emergency fire and rescue . The meadows are perfectly and
stratigically located should any helicopter rescue be required . I
will have a sign in/sign out book at the trail head so it can be
checked to make sure everyone got back safely . Due to the nature of
the wild life , I will request No Solo Riding (Mountain Lions , Bears
, Bobcats ,Cougars and other possible critters that may find a solo
cyclist to be a tasty snack ).

Topo and trail maps will be offered at cost .
I will ask for local volunteers to help out in the construction and
maybe get the local bike shops involved .

That is , when this is a done deal .

M&M ( sounds like waaayyy too much work )
Old July 18th 03, 10:40 PM
M&M

"Jon Bond" wrote in message ...
"M&M" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Maybe several small cabins supplied with running water , a pot
bellied stove , and oxygen tanks for the deprived near-sea level
AMBers .
I'm figuring 500-700 possible miles for all skill levels and an area
for North Shore style riders ( Ladders , Teeters - for the Canadian
AMBers . And for UK AMBers , a blighty , rainy area to make them feel
at home ) .

This area is pretty pristine and I want to KEEP the developers away
..

M&M
Old July 18th 03, 10:43 PM
Penny S.

M&M scribbled : Maybe several small cabins supplied with running water ,
a pot
bellied stove , and oxygen tanks for the deprived near-sea level
AMBers .
I'm figuring 500-700 possible miles for all skill levels and an area
for North Shore style riders ( Ladders , Teeters - for the Canadian
AMBers . And for UK AMBers , a blighty , rainy area to make them feel
at home ) .

This area is pretty pristine and I want to KEEP the developers away
.

how do you propose to keep hikers and atv-ers out? ( seriously)

penny

Old July 18th 03, 11:12 PM
Craig Brossman

M&M wrote:

Rich wrote in message ...

M&M wrote:

[...]

There are lots of local organizations who would probably help and have
access to tools and a large volunteer pool. Trails 2000 is one here in
Durango.
This sounds like a good idea if you have the means, interest and
experience. No offense intended, but you do not sound like a mountain
local. Your comment regarding solo riding is filled with error, mountain
lions and cougars are the same thing and bob cats are absolutly no
threat. The biggest threat in solo riding is yourself, getting injured
because of a crash; pumas (another name for mountain lions) and black
bears are very rarely a threat, even less so in remote "pristine" areas
like you are describing.
What gives

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado