Yet more trail work...

Old November 11th 03, 11:55 PM
John Harlow

Default Yet more trail work...

Suzanne and I set out Saturday morning to meet a friend (Dave Yohe) to work
on reopening one of our favorite local trails "Buttermilk West". It was
heavily damaged from Isabel.

At the trailhead, we meet about 10 guys all wearing black T-shirts. We
introduced ourselves and said we were going to do some trail maintenance. I
suppose it was pretty obvious as we were carrying a rake, loppers and a
chain saw.

They said they were also there to work on the trails. They all work for the
local cable company (Comcast) and had volunteered to help build a new
section of the trail. The part they were to build included a perpendicular
crossing of a steep hill; it required shoring up the lower side with several
telephone poles held in place with rebar.

They were waiting for materials to arrive so they said they'd help us in the
meantime "as long as none of us owned a satellite dish!" they added jokingly
(I think!). These were some big fellas (Dave said "That's 2,000 pounds of
Comcast") and they were anxious to work. I got busy cutting up some large
trees spanning the trail; they quickly muscled the large log sections away.
Then we heard some metal clanging off in the distance and one said "They
dropped off our rebar! We'll be back later!" and off they went to build
their trail.

We cut, cleared and rerouted the trail all the way down to the habitually
wet sandy semi-creekbed part. It's pretty much a full fledged creek now; we
will have to do some bridging or rerouting to get past it.

Then we saw just past the creek where the trail used to be. It is a huge
quagmire of trees. We were quite bummed as we thought we'd cleared the bulk
of the blockage, but we discovered we hadn't by a long shot. We don't think
it's going to be practical to reopen the old trail; it looks like a
significant reroute will be needed.

We hiked back out of the trail and on the way out one of the Comcast guys
said "We're done; want to see it?" Of course we stopped to look at their
handywork. They did an enormous amount of work in a very short time. We
will definitely enjoy the fruits of their labor for years to come - thanks
Comcast!

Some pictures of the event are on
http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/su...st/gallery.asp

Old November 12th 03, 12:12 AM
Michael Dart

"John Harlow" wrote in message
snip

We cut, cleared and rerouted the trail all the way down to the habitually
wet sandy semi-creekbed part. It's pretty much a full fledged creek now;

we
will have to do some bridging or rerouting to get past it.

Plenty building materials now though.

Then we saw just past the creek where the trail used to be. It is a huge
quagmire of trees. We were quite bummed as we thought we'd cleared the

bulk
of the blockage, but we discovered we hadn't by a long shot. We don't

think
it's going to be practical to reopen the old trail; it looks like a
significant reroute will be needed.

I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it looks
really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.

We hiked back out of the trail and on the way out one of the Comcast guys
said "We're done; want to see it?" Of course we stopped to look at their
handywork. They did an enormous amount of work in a very short time. We
will definitely enjoy the fruits of their labor for years to come - thanks
Comcast!

Very good! Was that the section under the Nickel (25¢ toll) bridge?

Mike

Old November 12th 03, 01:17 AM
Lou Sir

I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it looks
really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.

As you are far more experienced than I at this, I'd definitely appreciate
your input. I might be able to take off some time friday afternoon - or I
can rouse a work party Saturday morning - or both. Let me know what's best
for you.

Very good! Was that the section under the Nickel (25¢ toll) bridge?

You got it.

Old November 12th 03, 02:22 AM
Paladin

Lou Sir wrote:

I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it looks
really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.

As you are far more experienced than I at this, I'd definitely appreciate
your input. I might be able to take off some time friday afternoon - or I
can rouse a work party Saturday morning - or both. Let me know what's best
for you.

Very good! Was that the section under the Nickel (25¢ toll) bridge?

You got it.

That's some major trail clearing and rebuilding you guys are doing. Guess it pays now and then to ride the desert.

Paladin

Old November 12th 03, 03:38 AM
Michael Dart

"John Harlow" wrote in message
I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it

looks
really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.

As you are far more experienced than I at this, I'd definitely appreciate
your input. I might be able to take off some time friday afternoon - or I
can rouse a work party Saturday morning - or both. Let me know what's best
for you.

I should be up for both if you want. Name the time.

Mike

Old November 12th 03, 06:15 PM
JD

"John Harlow" wrote in message ...
Suzanne and I set out Saturday morning to meet a friend (Dave Yohe) to work
on reopening one of our favorite local trails "Buttermilk West". It was
heavily damaged from Isabel.

That's much better than wakeboarding in a polluted river now, isn't it?

JD
Old November 12th 03, 06:47 PM
John Harlow

Suzanne and I set out Saturday morning to meet a friend (Dave Yohe) to
work
on reopening one of our favorite local trails "Buttermilk West". It was
heavily damaged from Isabel.

That's much better than wakeboarding in a polluted river now, isn't it?

JD

I'd certainly rather have the option!

Old November 13th 03, 12:52 AM
D H

"Michael Dart" wrote in message

[...]

Great CAN DO attitude, Mike. Great work, John. Take the trails back
ASAP. It gets harder to do the more time goes by. Everything that stays
there through the winter will increase the number of weeds and other brush
that will try to grow up under and around these downed trees.
I salute your work!!!! \
And thanks to the Comcast tonnage, too! Now if you can get those boys
hooked on crankin' pedals, you'll have the ultimate trail crew for the
future!! I wonder if they're available to come to Douthat and help
shore up some sidehill sections with more poles? Hmmm.......
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Old November 13th 03, 03:47 AM
Michael Dart

"D H" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! If you can figure out a way to get 'em up there we got's some poles
for those sidehills! ;^)

Still want to get up there and ride but probably will have to wait till
spring now.

Mike