Somebody mail the Page Family a copy of the U.S. Constitution

Old December 26th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

Default Somebody mail the Page Family a copy of the U.S. Constitution

On Dec 26, 12:22*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Amit Ghosh wrote:
On Dec 25, 11:27*pm, MagillaGorilla

When you get a permit to run a bike race, that does not include the right
to regulate the speech of people in public places.

Do you think the drunks on Manayunk Wall in Philly who yell at the
cyclists are arrested? *What the hell are you going to arrest them for?

dumbass,

sometimes when we have events with a beer tent we are required to have
(private) security. they certainly can remove someone for being
"rude", though the reason cited would be intoxication.

Being "rude?" *What does that mean?

Do you think if I go to a professional baseball game and heckle some guy
making $20 million/year because he keeps striking out, that gate security will
kick me out because I'm being "rude?"

If you were ever sued, you would likely lose. *Being "rude" is some standard
you just made up in your own mind.

dumbass,

that is why i put "rude" in quotes. the KC heckling was a total non-
incident compared to what happens in clubs and bars every weekend.

cycling people, especially delusional underachievers need to grow
thicker skins.
Old December 26th 08, 07:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Dec 26, 12:15*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Amit Ghosh wrote:
On Dec 25, 11:55*pm, MagillaGorilla

It doesn't matter if it's pre-race, during race, or post-race. *A public park
is a public park.

dumbass,

when we hold events in a public park we will have a permit and a duty
of care to the attendees. that permit may require us to hire a certain
number of security (as well as other staff such as medics) depending
on the expected turnout and whether alcohol is being served.

when the venue is a public road though, we are required to have police
and the police can control access to the road (even though it's
public) and they can cite drivers that interfere with the event.

Booing is not interfering with the event.

i wasn't talking about booing.

but just because it's a public place doesn't mean the organizer can't
deal with a person that's intoxicated or say making threats - in fact
they may have a responsibility to be prepared if there is that
potential.
Old December 26th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
On Dec 25, 7:55 pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
On Dec 25, 7:12 pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
I thought you didn't know what the 'heckling mess' was about.
There is a difference between heckling a participant during an event
(although Wellens didn't seem to know that) and heckling/disrupting an
interview.
Dumbass -
Didn't know until this thread.
As for the difference - I disagree, not if it's in a public place.
Analogy. after a football game, if the sideline reporter is
interviewing a player and fans are in the background
interrupting, booing, heckling, cheering, whatever.
well, that's just part of the gig.
thanks,
K. Gringioni

If that is the case, then like the sideline reporters, the organizers
should have held the awards/interviews in a more controlled forum.
However, I suspect what happened was unexpected, if not unprecedented.
Unfortunately, that just means that in the future organizers may feel
compelled to budget for a secured interview area or for security to
manage the interview area.

Dumbass -

It's all part of the show. They have a lot of police/security at the
football games, but they don't stop people from cheering/booing or
whatever. Oftentimes you'll see drunk fans in the background waving
their arms, doing all sorts of stupid things in the background of the
postgame sideline interview. They don't do anything unless it starts
to get profane.

Same goes for people in the stands during the game. Unless a fan gets
ridiculously profane, the paid security lets it happen. It's part of
the show.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Tolerance of cheering/booing is relative to conditions and traditions.
What is acceptable in football or pro wrestling isn't necessarily in
golf. Even so, I'm not taking issue with booing during the event. We see
all sorts of dorks on long mountain climbs. Nobody cares.

The shouting precipitated the actions that made situation worth
mentioning and reporting. At this point I don't know who started those
actions.
Old December 26th 08, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Amit Ghosh wrote:
[...]

Yes. And their area of responsibility is not limited strictly to the
race course itself, but the entire area where the event is being run.
Old December 26th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Carl Sundquist wrote:

Tolerance of cheering/booing is relative to conditions and traditions.
What is acceptable in football or pro wrestling isn't necessarily in
golf. Even so, I'm not taking issue with booing during the event. We see
all sorts of dorks on long mountain climbs. Nobody cares.

I stand corrected: Eric the photographer cared.
Old December 26th 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
[...]

Here's the video:
http://cyclofile.com/

Here are some stills:
http://tinyurl.com/9k6jax

Brad Huff's page. Read what he says, scroll down to see him with his
pal the heckler. Note the heckler's hat, helps to recognize him in the
video.
http://bradhuff.missingsaddle.com/20...rcation-truth/

Key quote from the article: "According to Cori Page and film maker Sam
Smith, who filmed the fight, McAninch shoved Book first and continued
to push him back toward the bikes."

The video does not show who shoved first, but it leaves no doubt as to
who the aggressor was, and who caused the damage to the bikes. If
you're disrupting an event and someone tells you to STFU it doesn't
give you the right to start a brawl and damage other people's
property.
-Paul

Old December 26th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

Carl Sundquist wrote:

How would you handle hecklers at a band gig?

Hire a bunch of Hells Angels for crowd control

Thanks

Bill
Old December 26th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Do you think the drunks on Manayunk Wall in Philly who yell at the
cyclists are arrested? What the hell are you going to arrest them for?
Goddamn. This was POST RACE. You're moving the goalposts again. More
pussification of rbr.

It doesn't matter if it's pre-race, during race, or post-race. A public park
is a public park.

Magilla

If someone chose to hold up a sign in the middle of the race course
stating that they thought Page sucked, they would have the right to do
so because it's a public place?

No, not in the middle of the course. That part of the course is closed to the
public. But everywhere else is fair game.

Magilla

Breaking news: Hinault says you are a pussy.

The Badger is the only one who knows how to make the gerbil wheel look cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdjP4TFwDEc

Magilla