entry level full suspension

Old August 9th 04, 10:21 PM
Doug Jordan

Default entry level full suspension

What is a good budget full suspension bike that can take 3-4 foot drops,
roots and fairly technical singletrack? I have a trek 4300 but need
something that can take more rugged terrain. I am 41yrs old , 6'4"and weigh
210lbs. The bike must also hold up under my weight.
What about the specialized FSR/XC?

Doug Jordan

Old August 9th 04, 10:31 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-09, Doug Jordan penned:
What is a good budget full suspension bike that can take 3-4 foot
drops, roots and fairly technical singletrack? I have a trek 4300 but
need something that can take more rugged terrain. I am 41yrs old ,
6'4"and weigh 210lbs. The bike must also hold up under my weight.
What about the specialized FSR/XC?

What does "budget" mean to you?

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old August 10th 04, 12:19 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
What is a good budget full suspension bike that can take 3-4 foot drops,
roots and fairly technical singletrack? I have a trek 4300 but need
something that can take more rugged terrain. I am 41yrs old , 6'4"and weigh
210lbs. The bike must also hold up under my weight.
What about the specialized FSR/XC?

I'm trying to get rid of my Ellsworth ISIS frame. I'm almost exactly the same
height/weight...but such a wimpy rider that I have no idea of whether it will
take that level of use. Anybody care to comment?

--
PeteCresswell
Old August 10th 04, 12:22 AM
Dan

"Doug Jordan" wrote in message
news
What is a good budget full suspension bike that can take 3-4 foot drops,
roots and fairly technical singletrack? I have a trek 4300 but need
something that can take more rugged terrain. I am 41yrs old , 6'4"and

weigh
210lbs. The bike must also hold up under my weight.
What about the specialized FSR/XC?

Doug Jordan

I wouldn't be attempting 3-4 foot drops on an FSR/XC. Well, I would but
it's not designed for them... Try the Enduro perhaps. The new (2005) ones
are looking sweet. Oh hang on, you said budget... No idea then. The
FSR/XC will do all the technical singletrack / roots you can throw at it but
it won't handle the drops for long.

Dan

Old August 10th 04, 12:57 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Doug Jordan wrote:

What is a good budget full suspension bike that can take 3-4 foot drops,
roots and fairly technical singletrack? I have a trek 4300 but need
something that can take more rugged terrain. I am 41yrs old , 6'4"and weigh
210lbs. The bike must also hold up under my weight.
What about the specialized FSR/XC?

Doug Jordan

Entry level? Look at a Kona Kikapu.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 10th 04, 01:39 AM
Loomer

"Doug Jordan" wrote in message
news
What is a good budget full suspension bike that can take 3-4 foot drops,
roots and fairly technical singletrack? I have a trek 4300 but need
something that can take more rugged terrain. I am 41yrs old , 6'4"and

weigh
210lbs. The bike must also hold up under my weight.
What about the specialized FSR/XC?

Doug Jordan

Haro Ex1, 2 or 3.

I have a 2003 ex3 and it great, feels like a baby Bullit. Great trail bike.
At your weight it would match you well. I am about the same weight and I
would stay away from the FSR XC for sure especially if you want to do small
drops.

Old August 14th 04, 12:21 AM
Doug Jordan

I ride singletrack where there is 10-20 ft hills to climb and go down as
well as some small jumps and drop offs. How is the Haro extreme in climbing
and steep downhills?

Doug Jordan
ink.net...

Old August 14th 04, 07:07 AM
bomba

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:21:09 +0000, Doug Jordan wrote:

I ride singletrack where there is 10-20 ft hills to climb and go down as
well as some small jumps and drop offs. How is the Haro extreme in climbing
and steep downhills?

Unless that 10-20ft is going to be spent in freefall, the Haro is
total overkill. Get a hardtail or fully rigid.
Old August 15th 04, 05:00 PM
JD

"Doug Jordan" wrote in message ...
What is a good budget full suspension bike that can take 3-4 foot drops,
roots and fairly technical singletrack? I have a trek 4300 but need
something that can take more rugged terrain. I am 41yrs old , 6'4"and weigh
210lbs. The bike must also hold up under my weight.
What about the specialized FSR/XC?

A "budget" bike will break. Save your money and buy a high quality full suspension.

JD

Full Suspension peter.kidwell Off Road 2 July 27th 04 08:43 PM
Wanted: XC full suspension racing frame 18-19" Todd Marketplace 2 March 9th 04 04:31 PM
Entry level mountain bikes Andrew Lighten Australia 22 December 23rd 03 09:53 PM
Newbie question - mudguards for full suspension bike Alan UK 6 December 21st 03 10:08 PM
entry level bike -- most of money goes towards wheelset and frame? tsp General 3 September 14th 03 09:38 AM