Has a.r.b.r. bit the dust?

Old April 18th 05, 12:42 PM
Al Kubeluis

Default Has a.r.b.r. bit the dust?

Hi arbr'ers,

I haven't been following arbr for months but decided to check in a
couple of days ago. Very few posts. What's happened?

Al K
Old April 18th 05, 12:59 PM
Dave Larrington

Al Kubeluis wrote:
Hi arbr'ers,

I haven't been following arbr for months but decided to check in a
couple of days ago. Very few posts. What's happened?

The trolls went away.

Flies are the work of Stan, and should be killed by all means available.

Old April 18th 05, 01:41 PM
BentJay

Why did the trolls go away? Is someone monitoring this newsgroup now?

BentJay
GS GTO

See my tour journal at: http://aroundthelake.crazyguyonabike.com

Old April 18th 05, 01:47 PM
Dave Larrington

BentJay wrote:
Why did the trolls go away? Is someone monitoring this newsgroup now?

I suspect they got bored coz eveyone ignored / killfiled them. That is the
way it is with trolls. 'tis still and unmoderated 'froup.

Flies are the work of Stan, and should be killed by all means available.

Old April 18th 05, 03:45 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Dave Larrington" wrote
BentJay wrote:
Why did the trolls go away? Is someone monitoring this newsgroup now?

Many of us "monitor" the newsgroup, as in "read it", but no one can
censor the content of others (other than their service providers). ARBR
is, as it has been, an unmoderated newsgroup. Any apparent "moderation"
now is self-imposed. It would take an RFD and vote to change it to be
formally moderated now.

I suspect they got bored coz everyone ignored / killfiled them. That is

the
way it is with trolls. 'tis still and unmoderated 'froup.

Trolls bored, perhaps, temporarily,-- they likely will return in same guises
or others. Contentiousness for contentiousness sake is cheap. We've seen
how far it can degenerate pretty quickly. These things seem to go in
cycles,
but in my experience, the ARBR episode lasted longer than most,-- more
than a year.

Maybe we've learned something, maybe not... In the end, little can
be done if someone is dedicated to "vandalizing" a newsgroup. It's the
nature of the beast. One of the things some people learned is that there
are other forums, less subject to derailment.

Taking the opportunity of this lull to build/rebuild the community is
advised.
Fewer messages is not necessarily bad.

Jon Meinecke

Old April 20th 05, 08:16 AM
Edward Dolan

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message
news:1113835488.aa05edfff32d304e4f4457b28ef89f4f@t eranews...
"Dave Larrington" wrote
BentJay wrote:
[...]

Poor Jon Meinecke never had a clue about this group, not from day one and
not from the last day either. It was the criminal troll Ed Gin who killed
this group. But Meinecke thinks all trolls are equal. Ed Gin was a criminal
troll and that is what killed the group.

It was the likes of me who gave life to the group. But Meinecke prefers
things to be dead like he is. That is the way it is now so he should be
happy. A dead man consorting with other dead men. No one with any
intelligence or a spark of life will have anything to do with this group.
But that is what happens when a group takes the cowardly way out and lets a
criminal troll like Ed Gin dominate the group with his totally insane posts.

I will look in on this group periodically to see just how dead it is going
to get. I think eventually it will end up with Meinecke babbling to himself
like the crazy old man that he is.

We great ones who were once the heart and soul of ARBR are now gone, most
likely never to return. Now you have dwarfs like Meinecke and criminal
trolls like Ed Gin to amuse you. Enjoy! You all deserve one another.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old April 22nd 05, 05:24 AM
LoGo USA

Trolls... likely will return...

One whose name should not be mentioned responded:

We great ones... are now gone, most likely never to return.

Inspiring me (once again) to have a bit of funky fun:

Jon was right in his doubts that non-trolls won a victory.
With a message itself just a tad contradictory,
One annoying old TROLL, who berated and cussed us,
Like a zombie, came back - non-poetic injustice!

When you read where a TROLL makes a promise (or threatens)
That he's gone, disappeared, like those furry Tibetans
Which most people suspect are just mythical creatures,
Don't believe it; TROLL bookings may be double features.

You relax, and the TROLL (much more vile than a Yeti)
May pop up like a landmine - SURPRISE! Bouncing Betty!
Though he swears he's "most likely to never return",
Don't take bets unless you have some money to burn!

Keep smiling,
Wayne

Old April 22nd 05, 06:56 AM
nget

LoGo USA Wrote:

[...]

There can be no victory in cowardice for those who post nonsence.Will
you as a spider spin a web for others and rewrite the history of ARBR?I
believe before the Chicago gang of monkeys came to this place there was
an order to the posting.In their extreme hatred they trashed the
place.
Ed Dolan is mostly right about this group.I for one would like to say
that his post was refreshing to see.
Can those on the far left only have fun if they shout down the
conservative and limit free speech?

--
nget

Old April 22nd 05, 08:05 AM
LoGo USA

Nget posted (somewhat nonsensically, AFAICS):

There can be no victory in cowardice for those who post nonsence.

If it's nonsence you're seeking (however you spell it),
It's most likely to come from the pen of a zealot.

I'm just trying to lighten this up, 'cuz it seems
That some folks may be going to rabid extremes
With their ranting and raving about who's to blame
For the 'death' of this newsgroup; they fume and they flame!
But I'd like to remind you: it's isn't that serious,
That although an old TROLL is a tad deleterious -
He's obtrusive, unpleasant, a bit of a bragger -
In the end he is merely a virtual tagger.

So he postures and lectures, he's rude and insulting -
There's a lot more that's said than is done, thus resulting
In an e-hood that's littered with too much graffiti,
But it's merely a nuisance. My honest entreaty
Is to please mellow out, and to keep your perspective;
What's the point of a battle with bitter invective?
It's a newsgroup - GOOD GRIEF! - mostly chatting and prattle,
Why defend it as though it is real (or chattel)?

I for one have enjoyed these few weeks without TROLLS;
Would a motion to keep it that way sweep the polls?

Keep smiling [PLEASE!],
Wayne

Old April 22nd 05, 03:17 PM
nget

LoGo USA Wrote:
[...]

Only a liberal like Wayne could say that he wants to lighten things up
while at the same time he attacks and flames away.Who has Time for such
nonsense?I wrote what I know to be true for me.
You now have an option to reread my post and let it sink in or perhaps
you and flash can go bounce off a few walls just for your enjoyment.
Life is good without the mental disorder of liberalism.

--
nget