Tour-de-France stage 14 summary

Old July 18th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Default Tour-de-France stage 14 summary

wrote in message
ups.com...
Carl Sundquist wrote:

What is the US system? Has it developed riders of such quality and
quantity
that it can hold its own closed national criterium championship?

Do any of the other major cycling countries even have
a national criterium championship?

Thanks for reinforcing my point. We're the only 'major' cycling country with
a national criterium championship and still can't fill out the field
qualitatively.

Old July 18th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Carl Sundquist wrote:
wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

What is the US system? Has it developed riders of such quality and
quantity
that it can hold its own closed national criterium championship?

Do any of the other major cycling countries even have
a national criterium championship?

Thanks for reinforcing my point. We're the only 'major' cycling country with
a national criterium championship and still can't fill out the field
qualitatively.

That was my point - we're the only 'major' cycling country
(AFAIK) whose domestic circuit is so reliant on
round-the-block races that we have a championship for them.

Ben
crits are hard and I sucked at them

Old July 18th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:00:11 +0200, Donald Munro
wrote:

You could have even more champions in the US if you introduced
championships for various types of crits like round-the-block crits and
parking lot crits etc. Even crit-pro might be a champion that way.

Yeah. And crits with a hill in them. Though some masters fatties
have been known to say "That's not a crit, it's got a hill."

And crits without corners too -- like on race tracks. Though some say
no corners = not a crit. I've been known to whine like that.

So:
"Classic round-the-block"
"Parking lot"
"Hilly"
"Swoopy"

With an age group every two or three years for men and women -- sweet!
That's like hundreds of jerseys!

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old July 18th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

wrote:

You could have even more champions in the US if you introduced
championships for various types of crits like round-the-block crits and
parking lot crits etc. Even crit-pro might be a champion that way.

Yeah. And crits with a hill in them. Though some masters fatties
have been known to say "That's not a crit, it's got a hill."

And crits without corners too -- like on race tracks. Though some say
no corners = not a crit. I've been known to whine like that.

So:
"Classic round-the-block"
"Parking lot"
"Hilly"
"Swoopy"

With an age group every two or three years for men and women -- sweet!
That's like hundreds of jerseys!

So there's hope for me after all.

Ron
Old July 18th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark Fennell

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:00:11 +0200, Donald Munro
You could have even more champions in the US if you introduced
championships for various types of crits like round-the-block crits and
parking lot crits etc. Even crit-pro might be a champion that way.

Yeah. And crits with a hill in them. Though some masters fatties
have been known to say "That's not a crit, it's got a hill."

And crits without corners too -- like on race tracks. Though some say
no corners = not a crit. I've been known to whine like that.

So:
"Classic round-the-block"
"Parking lot"
"Hilly"
"Swoopy"

With an age group every two or three years for men and women -- sweet!
That's like hundreds of jerseys!

And bifurcated into clockwise- and counter-clockwise-lap championships...