Testosterone Used During Race Wouldn't Have Helped, Experts Say

Old August 4th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan

Default Testosterone Used During Race Wouldn't Have Helped, Experts Say

Yes, I wrote that at 5 am, when I am imprecise. The statement is not
false,
just meaningless. For example, I am just slightly less popular than
testosterone dealers: Results 1 - 10 of about 726,000 for ilan vardi.
Oh, and I have exactly one namesake, as pointed out earlier.

-ilan

Stu Fleming wrote:
ilan wrote:
``You just push a button, do a Google search and you can get 300,000
hits for people selling these drugs,'' Ungerleider said. ``It's very
disturbing.''

Yes, so disturbing that he would say something which is obviously
false. The
rest of the article isn't much better.

Results 1 - 10 of about 961,000 for testosterone dealers. (0.24 seconds)

Old August 4th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 04:07:50 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
RonSonic wrote:

I am amazed at how much more knowledgeable 5 dozen bike dorks on the internet
are compared to the tens of thousands who've been to the big game. They all must
be nothing but superstitious morons. Go over to RBT and you'll see how stupid
the pro's are for using sewups.

Not entirely fair. Only the ignorant say this, they are
easier to notice than the less ignorant, and they will
always be with us. Tubular tires are great if you do not
have to maintain them; the aging process requires a
special cabinet in the cellar. Heck, tubulars are great if
you want to maintain them yourself, but if you have no
cellar in your apartment, you are SOL. They are light, the
rims are light, they ride better flat than a clincher, and
are a faster change on the road. If you can find a truly
slick clincher it will ride as well as a tubular.

I know, you know, but someone once tested rolling resistance and found a good
clincher very slightly better in that one characteristic, so.... The geniuses
have extrapolated that into "clinchers are faster."

Anyway, the broader point is that there's a world of empirical knowledge that
gets thrown out when some study of some thing some where is contrary. And that
the collection of dorks who argue on the internet (yeah, that's me too) are fall
to prone to falling into that trap.

Ron

Old August 4th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frank Drackman

"Scott" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ningi wrote:
Klay Anderson wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/s2p5h

The people who have actually used disagree.

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/10613.0.html

Pete

Right.... so you've got people involved in the study of the drug and
it's effects, as well as experts within the anti-drug testing
organization saying it wouldn't do any good, but you'll take the word
of a few people who've used it and say it would?

What about baseball? The experts said that baseball was a sport where
taking steroids would have no positive effect on performance. Then they
said it would only help sluggers hit the ball farther but would have no
positive effect on pitchers and position players.

In reality, many baseball players had been taking steroids for years and
pitchers were among the biggest users. The pitchers used steroids to recover
quickly instead of bulking up. Position players used them to get stronger
and to recover from injuries...all during the time when experts said that it
would be stupid for the players to use them because there was no performance
increase.

Old August 5th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Joe Cipale

wrote:
Start with the idea that it is easy to go undetected. So it has to be a
mistake or sabotage.

Klay Anderson wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/s2p5h

--
Regards,

Klay Anderson
http://www.klay.com
+801-942-8346

Arent we forgetting that his sample contained exogenous testosterone?
I am/was hoping that this was a mistake as well as the next Floyd Fan,
but it
seems pretty clear that something was put into his body by someone.

Either that, or Conspiracy Theory His sample was tampered with to
produce the
desired 'result'... /Conspiracy Theory

And so Round 2 begins.
Old August 6th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Joe Cipale" wrote in message

Arent we forgetting that his sample contained exogenous testosterone?
I am/was hoping that this was a mistake as well as the next Floyd Fan, but
it seems pretty clear that something was put into his body by someone.

Either that, or Conspiracy Theory His sample was tampered with to
produce the desired 'result'... /Conspiracy Theory

As I pointed out, I don't believe that you can state with any degree of
certainty that there was exogenous testosterone unless you had the sample
tested in at least 3 labs for C12/C13 ratios. Separation science is only a
science in the hands of a thoroughly compentent spectroscopist.

We would develop tests for other companies so that we could sell them our LC
equipment. One of the dumbest jackasses I EVER heard on the phone was a
French Nobel Prize winner who was running a lab in France. He couldn't
follow the simplest directions and was in fact so silly that I began to get
the idea that he couldn't read. The point of this isn't to denigrate French
in general but to underscore that being a highly educated Chemist doesn't
make you an highly skilled detection equipment user.