Water bottle for a criterium race

Old February 8th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

Default Water bottle for a criterium race

Artoi wrote:
I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

Fluid ingestion begins to be a substantial factor after approximately 40
minutes of intense exercise in the heat:
http://www.gssiweb.com/Article_Detai...evel=2&topic=2

For 20km in hot weather, I'd bring a full bottle, and an empty bottle,
to the start line. I'd drink half the full bottle on the line, saving
the rest for the race.

Bottles on the bike reduce wind resistance on standard bikes:
http://www.analyticcycling.com/RiderAeroStudy.html

Dan
Old February 8th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On 7 Feb 2007 09:00:56 -0800, "
wrote:

On Feb 7, 5:41 pm, "ilan" wrote:
On Feb 7, 2:20 pm, "ilan" wrote:

On Feb 7, 11:55 am, Artoi wrote:

That water may cause you to want to urinate during the race. Since
there won't be time to stop during the
criterium, I suggest wearing a diaper. All the top racers to it.

On the other hand, I've never been able to find a Motorman's Friend,
an item which I've
only seen once in the movie Semi Tough. I couldn't find it by doing a
Google search either.
It consists of a rubber hose and a little flask, which
allows you to relieve yourself discreetly at any time. In the movie,
Burt Reynolds uses it for
an EST marathon seminar. The one time I really needed it was driving a
RAAM support vehicle all
night: You are obliged to follow the rider continuously at
approximately 18 mph for hours at a time, and
you end up drinking soft drinks continuously, but then you don't want
to force the poor rider to stop for your
bathroom break.

-ilan

Once on the Interstate in Arizona I stopped to retreive a hat that had
blown out the window of my car. Walking around looking for the dumb
hat, I saw more than one soda bottle containing suspicious yellow
fluid. I don't think any special apparatus is needed. For males that
it. What with those wide-mouth bottles and all.

I recall one highway department asking people to PLEASE discard the bottles
properly. Seems they build up pressure in the sun and then the poor bastid who
cleans up or mows is faced with a hot **** filled explosive device.

Ron
Old February 8th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"SLAVE of THE STATE" wrote in message
oups.com...
For every race I've won, I had a water bottle. Therefore water
bottles are required to win.

Also, I had a cadence for each win, proving that cadence is not a red
herring.

Also, I had a 12t cog for every win, therefore 12t cogs are required
to win.

I wonder how many of the weally wapid ******s here remember that discussion?

Old February 8th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 7, 3:55 am, Artoi wrote:
I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.

It's not like there's any real downside to carrying a bottle.
The tiny extra weight doesn't matter, especially in a crit,
and if you drink the water before the start, you're carrying
the weight anyway.

Also, if you have to throw a bidon at some guy in the sprint
to look pro like Tom Steels, and you don't have a bidon,
you'll just be kicking yourself.

Ben

Old February 8th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 7, 3:55 am, Artoi wrote:
I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.

It's not like there's any real downside to carrying a bottle.
The tiny extra weight doesn't matter, especially in a crit,
and if you drink the water before the start, you're carrying
the weight anyway.

Also, if you have to throw a bidon at some guy in the sprint
to look pro like Tom Steels, and you don't have a bidon,
you'll just be kicking yourself.

Ben, you really have to stick to discussions about bicycling where you
actually sound clever and urbane.

Old February 8th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marty

"ilan" wrote in message
oups.com...

--

I suggest wearing a diaper. All the top racers to it.

Only crazy female astronauts wear diapers when racing or when driving 1000
miles to hunt down their victims:
http://news.yahoo.com:80/s/nm/200702..._astronauts_dc
--
Marty

Old February 8th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 7, 6:20 am, "ilan" wrote:

I suggest wearing a diaper. All the top racers to it.

-ilan

Top astronauts too!

Seems like it would be the bottoms who really need it.

Old February 8th 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

ilan wrote:
I suggest wearing a diaper. All the top racers to it.

gds wrote:
Top astronauts too!

You'd think NASA would be able to come up with a more hi-tech solution,
even for women. Perhaps they'd better take some Coke bottles when they go
to Mars.

Old February 8th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

gds wrote:
Top astronauts too!

You'd think NASA would be able to come up with a more hi-tech solution,
even for women. Perhaps they'd better take some Coke bottles when they go
to Mars.

You're just trying to **** off some Martians. Especially the ones who
have to mow around the landing sites.