Water bottle for a criterium race

Old February 9th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
mike

Default Water bottle for a criterium race

Artoi wrote in news:artoi-96D279.21550707022007@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.
--

I just did a 20mile, 61 minute fixedgear ride with 4 friends. Wasn't race
conditions, plus about 30 degrees. I didn't see anyone touch there water
Old February 9th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"mike" wrote in message
Artoi wrote in news:artoi-96D279.21550707022007@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.
--

I just did a 20mile, 61 minute fixedgear ride with 4 friends. Wasn't race
conditions, plus about 30 degrees. I didn't see anyone touch there water
bottles. I am sure the warmer it is and the faster you are going the
greater the need for water.

Actually no. The harder you breath the more water you burn. In particularly
dry conditions - such as sub-freezing weather - you lose a lot more
hydration through your breath than in more moderate conditions.

BUT, most people that are well hydrated won't have any problems with a 1/2 -
1 hour crit.

Old February 9th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:22:44 GMT, mike wrote:

I just did a 20mile, 61 minute fixedgear ride with 4 friends. Wasn't race
conditions, plus about 30 degrees. I didn't see anyone touch there water
bottles.

So what? It's silly to not drink at 30C, even if you didn't feel the
need to.

--
JT
Old February 9th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 7, 4:55 am, Artoi wrote:
I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.

Camelback. Great to land on, too. --D-y