Help with my Master's Thesis

Old March 22nd 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

Default Help with my Master's Thesis

On 22 Mar 2007 11:33:35 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Exactly. Maybe the study is on Usenet or on Usenet as a subset of
fans in general. Either way, it's a s(k){cr}ewed up way of getting
representative sampling.

Or it isn't the primary study. I'm somewhat associated with three
current grad students and not one of the two master or the doctorate
theses are the primary study. I think you really need to know where
they are in the whole panorama of what they are working with to know
whether this is hopelessly skewed. Sometimes you're the grad student
working with the characteristics of the skewed population.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 22nd 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Mar 22, 2:51 pm, Kyle Legate wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

I thought the whole idea of conducting surveys was that they were
supposed to be representative of a certain segment of the population
and not created in a way that builds in the bias. The wording the OP
chose, the commercial zoomerang site as portal, non-toll free numbers
for "verification" (I'm cheap as well as suspicious), etc., all create
significant bias from the get go. Does that seem like an acceptable
manner to attract survey participants to you?

The OP should have submitted it to social bookmarking sites and create a
number of dummy accounts to vote it onto the front page. Nobody said a
masters should be easy.

Indeed. Now that I know that Curtis is affiliated I feel much better
about screwing around with the study.

Q: How do you feel about your favorite athletes?
A: Much the same way that Günter Parche felt about Steffi Graf. I'm
willing to kill for them.

Or maybe a riff on Arlo Guthrie and the army psychiatrist...

Old March 22nd 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

wrote:

Exactly. Maybe the study is on Usenet or on Usenet as a subset of
fans in general. Either way, it's a s(k){cr}ewed up way of getting
representative sampling.

Or it isn't the primary study. I'm somewhat associated with three
current grad students and not one of the two master or the doctorate
theses are the primary study. I think you really need to know where
they are in the whole panorama of what they are working with to know
whether this is hopelessly skewed. Sometimes you're the grad student
working with the characteristics of the skewed population.

I'm not sure if I buy into the "two curves make a straight", but keep
talking - maybe you'll convince me.

Old March 22nd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Charles" wrote in message

Did you get the idea that this was really a company fishing for email
addresses?

Towson does have a Masters in that area. In fact his references are
correct.
He just posted the request in the wrong group. Only a bunch of knee jerk
ADHD juveniles would respond they way that many of you did. Shame on you
Thomas.

You mean respond with suspicion to a man asking for a poll and then when you
get there it's offering a "prize"? Grow up Charles. That was about as
suspicious a thing as possible.

Old March 22nd 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On 22 Mar 2007 12:53:50 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Indeed. Now that I know that Curtis is affiliated I feel much better
about screwing around with the study.

Q: How do you feel about your favorite athletes?
A: Much the same way that Günter Parche felt about Steffi Graf. I'm
willing to kill for them.

Or maybe a riff on Arlo Guthrie and the army psychiatrist...

Uh, no - I know them and almost understand what they are talking about
if they keep it simple. And the one master candidate just killed her
mice. I think she's finished.

So that's why I don't answer the survey myself. At some point, they
snuff the subjects. Yeah, sure, they give you a dollar bill and maybe
put you in a drawing for a free gift, then one day their study is over
and someone comes along and snaps your neck. Not me, brother...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 22nd 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

wrote:

Exactly. Maybe the study is on Usenet or on Usenet as a subset of
fans in general. Either way, it's a s(k){cr}ewed up way of getting
representative sampling.

Or it isn't the primary study. I'm somewhat associated with three
current grad students and not one of the two master or the doctorate
theses are the primary study. I think you really need to know where
they are in the whole panorama of what they are working with to know
whether this is hopelessly skewed. Sometimes you're the grad student
working with the characteristics of the skewed population.

I'm not sure if I buy into the "two curves make a straight", but keep
talking - maybe you'll convince me.

Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

--
tanx,
Howard
Old March 23rd 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Charles

You mean respond with suspicion to a man asking for a poll and then when

you
get there it's offering a "prize"? Grow up Charles. That was about as
suspicious a thing as possible.

Thomas, your reply is a prize to me.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Charles

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 22, 1:17 am, "Charles" wrote:

Yes it does have a Masters program with that emphasis. Google it.

I did before I posted.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...ns+Studies%22&

I'm curious, Chuck. I was teasing JFT, and cautioning him. You're
defending the OP and casting aspersions. You seem quite sensitive and
quite abusive at the same time. Why is that?

Geez man, you remind me of my therapist. Cut it out, or I will go into
relapse. Hey I like your buildings.construction posts. In that field I
presume ?

Just saying that his post seemed sincere if not misplaced. The only thing
unusual was his e-mail. The FQDN was from a retirement home company.

I did the survey and used Kunick's e-mail.
Maybe he will finally get a "prize".

Old March 23rd 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
So that's why I don't answer the survey myself. At some point, they
snuff the subjects. Yeah, sure, they give you a dollar bill and maybe
put you in a drawing for a free gift, then one day their study is over
and someone comes along and snaps your neck. Not me, brother...

But what if the incentive is free Belgian beer for the duration of the
study ?

Old March 23rd 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Charles wrote:
Thomas, your reply is a prize to me.

But he didn't even put you on his gaylist.

Help with my Master's Thesis genedipaula1 General 25 March 23rd 07 11:14 PM
Master's Fasttie Matt C Racing 0 September 23rd 06 01:42 AM
Master's Fatties Tom Kunich Racing 21 July 16th 05 09:15 AM
Help- Senior Thesis, win $25. Jack Kirby Social Issues 0 December 1st 04 04:45 PM
Help- Senior Thesis, win $25. Jack Kirby Social Issues 0 December 1st 04 04:45 PM