Do You Remember?

Old May 1st 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default Do You Remember?

On May 1, 10:40*am, "Sandy" wrote:

I, and at least one pro I know LOVE good pastries, and they taste
great, but I wouldn't call them healthy. Goes for a lot of things. You
can build them into a planned diet though, in moderate amounts quite
nicely.
*Bill C

Andouillette for dessert. *Impressive!

NO NO NO!!! I was trying to ignore that stuff....;-) My guilty, nasty,
pleasure is jalapeno pickled pigs feet occasionally. That grosses out,
and the smell clears the family out of the room pretty quick usually.
I just can't get anyone to SHARE (hug hug) with me no matter how much
I try.....
We use training plans, logs, computers, heart rate monitors, power
taps, etc...to do proper training and monitoring why would nutrition
be easier and less complex, especially for someone training hard and
competing?
Michael I'm sure you eat better than the vast majority of people out
there, and are healthier because of it. I'm also sure you have the
education, and experience to wing it pretty well. I'm a big fan of
measure twice cut once, belt AND suspenders, etc...so I toss a basic
multivitamin in just to help make sure. Those are my only two points
in all of this. We agree on just about everything you've said, and
Tom's points are right on the money too, pretty much. It's a whole lot
more fun, and a better quality of life to do it your way too than
stressing over it all and being totally anal. Unfortunately everything
seems to point to most of the Country doing neither though, and just
eating overprocessed garbage though.
Speaking of bad for you food; got any recipes for tasty Polish,
Baltic, or German foods? Always looking for recipes to add to that
collection.
Bill C
Old May 1st 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jack Hollis

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:57:29 -0700, Michael Press
wrote:

Remember that everything you eat regularly is habit
forming. Anybody here notice what happens when you stop
drinking coffee? Suppose that somebody takes daily large
doses of vitamin C, then for any number of reasons stops.
He is at risk for developing scurvy. Your body develops
a dependency on a vitamin regimen and suffers withdrawal
if the regimen ceases.

It's impossible to compare vitamins to psychoactive chemicals, like
caffeine. Caffeine mimics an endogenous neurotransmitter which has
receptor sites in specific neurons. Excessive caffeine use creates
changes in the functioning and number of these receptor sites. No
such process exists for vitamins.
Old May 2nd 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
Howard Kveck wrote:

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:

I am not trying to dictate. I do not put in the time you
outlined planning, shopping, and cooking. Regular good meals.
Every meal and every snack is a treat.

I agree with what you're saying, though I get uninspired at times with
the things that I make. I have to go through the books and see if I can find
some recipes that will make me think about trying a new combination of flavors
(or an old combination done in a different way).

It can be something easy or over the top:

http://www.playingwithfireandwater.c...-passionf.html

Neat. I like the way he thinks.

She, actually. I like that one a lot, as it takes a couple of very unexpected
turns. There's quite a bit of interesting stuff on that site.

http://www.playingwithfireandwater.c...n-beef-st.html

Equal masses of onion and potato in a mass of water equal
to double the mass of the veg. Goodly amount of salt, and
puree when tender. I do not hesitate to serve this in any setting.

I've always heard about double frying potatoes but wasn't sure about the temps
involved - now I am. I have a bunch of rendered duck fat that I've collected that I
may use to do the double fried potatoes with. Should be good...

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old May 2nd 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
Bill C wrote:

On May 1, 10:40*am, "Sandy" wrote:

[...]

Dough
3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3 tablespoon water

Hand knead for 15 minute, or shorter in a machine.
Divide into two balls.
Rest 15 minute.
Roll out the dough to noodle thickness.
Allow to rest for 2 hour.

Filling
Pare and steam
3 lb potato
Saute
1 medium onion
in
1/4 lb butter
Mash potato, mix in
1 teaspoon salt

Mix in onion and butter.

Cut the dough into 3 inch squares.
Drop filling into each square,
wet the border of the square,
fold on a diagonal,
and crimp the edges.

Cook in boiling water 5 minute,
5 at a time. Saute the cooked
pierogi in a hot buttered pan
for a minute and serve.

Did somebody say something about sour cream?

--
Michael Press
Old May 2nd 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On May 1, 11:23*pm, Michael Press wrote:

[...]

Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

Pierogis! Thanks. You can also fill them with shredded cabbage and
other good stuff. Grandmother regularly made potato&onion,
Potato&cheese, and cabbage for holidays. Still make em
occadsionally.
Bill C
Old May 2nd 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Default Do You Remember? Great baking book

On May 2, 8:06*am, Bill C wrote:

Don't know how much baking any of you do, but this is an incredible
book. Full of great recipes, tips, and stories. Good healthy stuff
too!

http://tinyurl.com/62pywe

Country Baking: Simple Home Baking with Wholesome Grains and the Pick
of the Harvest
by Ken Haedrich

About this title: Ken Haedrich's creative, delicious, and easy-to-
follow recipes celebrate the essence of country baking -- simplicity,
freshness, and regional flavors. Store-bought breads will be history
when bakers learn the simple steps for making Farm-Style Whole Wheat
Bread and Soft Oatmeal Sandwich Bread. Mornings are special with
Toasted Almond Pear Muffins, and coffee time is paradise with a warm
slice of Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake. Big Broccoli Calzones and Deep-
Dish Sausage and Shrimp Pie make hearty meals -- but remember to leave
room for a mouthwatering dessert such as Peaches and Cream Pie,
Maple ...

He's just an average guy living in the country in NH. Someone I'd love
to meet, and BS with. Just discovered he's written a bunch of others
too. The book reads the way Yankee magazine used to.
Copies are cheap through Abebooks.com who I also love, and they do
some no shipping stuff too, just got to search both shipping, and free
shipping lists to decide on the best deal though. I buy tons of stuff
through them and have had a grand total of one mix-up, with one book
dealer which they helped fix, as part of one order.
Bill C

Remember this? Tom Nakashima Racing 0 August 9th 06 07:59 PM
They ought to remember kudder Racing 1 January 11th 06 11:11 PM
They ought to remember steve Racing 0 January 8th 06 11:54 AM
Remember Me? Scott Stephens Unicycling 8 August 11th 04 07:04 AM