Another popular bike hire scheme

Old August 9th 11, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Another popular bike hire scheme

QUOTE:
"HUNDREDS of people are saddling up to use Blackpool’s pay and pedal
cycling scheme.

So far the resort’s hire bikes have travelled just under 90,000 miles
and last month alone there were 1,500 rentals – the busiest month
ever.

It comes as new research shows bicycle rental schemes save lives by
encouraging urban dwellers to be more active. A report in the British
Medical Journal says they should be expanded to more towns and cities.

Blackpool was the first town in the UK to adopt one of the schemes and
now boasts 52 rental stations and 500 bikes.A study of the Barcelona
equivalent of Blackpool’s Hire a Bike scheme found that short, regular
cycle rides reduced the number of annual deaths by 12.

Researchers concluded: “Low cost public bicycle sharing systems are
worth implementing in other cities, not only for the health benefits,
but also for potential co-benefits such as a reduction in air
pollution and greenhouse gasses.”

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/ne...me_1_36 59903

--
Simon Mason
Old August 9th 11, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
[...]

I am in Blackpool one day per week. Those bikes are in their racks all day
long, **** wet through and covered in bird ****.The Gazette is a two bit rag
which has a reputation for telling bull****.
The story is utter bull****.

Old August 9th 11, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

I am in Blackpool one day per week. Those bikes are in their racks all day
long, **** wet through and covered in bird ****.The Gazette is a two bit
rag which has a reputation for telling bull****.
The story is utter bull****.

One may wonder how those 90000 miles were clocked up and who on earth was
renting them out to the tune of 1500 times last month, Mr P.

Indeed, some of the commentators would beg to differ with you, Sir.

artyme
Tuesday, August 9, 2011 at 02:17 PM
"I use these bikes on a regular basis and think its a fab idea! I ride
approx 8 miles a day along the prom for keeping fit and love the convenience
of the scheme. Never go a day without seeing a few people on the bikes! Just
an idea... stop wingeing about it, get off your sofas and give it a try!!"

Grumpy Geeza
Tuesday, August 9, 2011 at 02:00 PM

"I travel along the prom every day to and from work. In the evening I have
seen lots of people using these bikes. Some tourist looking with children
and some are people taking advantage of cheaper transport to get home. At £1
for an hour and half they are a lot cheaper and faster to get down the prom
than public transport. If the council could build a secure car park and
either end i think a lot more workers in Blackpool would use them."

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old August 10th 11, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

[...]

I do not care what the commentators say Mr Mason. The bikes stand there
mostly unused.
Nobody in their right mind is going to use/pay for them to get to work; even
skint merchants can afford a bike. Work???? Unemployment in Blackpool is
28%.
The weather in Blackpool is horrendous. There is no such thing as a nice
ride down the prom. You would be hard pressed to survive.
I lived there for 41 years. Just trust me on this one. Or ..... take a drive
to Cesspool and have a look for yourself.

Old August 10th 11, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 09/08/2011 09:34, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

A typical post by the retard Simple Simon I'm afraid.

'Last month alone there were 1500 rentals'. Simple Simon fails to note
there are 500 bikes, so each one was hired 3 times in a month.

A recent survey of Blackpool residents reveals that 88% have not hired a
push bike.

Blackpool has about 140,000 people living residents and it's estimated
there are 16.5 million tourists a year. And they managed to get 1500
rentals. Wow what a ****ing success.

Great value for the £7.1 million it cost to set up.

University
Old August 11th 11, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

[...]

I have been there, they have special Scottish centres of culture.

Also known as park benches.

--
Simon Mason
Old August 11th 11, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

"Dave - Cyclists VOR" wrote in message
[...]

at that rate it would be cheaper to give bicycles away, you could get
cheapies for about thirty quid each wholesale.

Old August 12th 11, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Another Skyride in Blackpool this Sunday will see the town flooded
with cyclists.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/ne...ycle_1_3672828

--
Simon Mason