My Impressions of the Sanya City Circuit Race [long]

Old October 31st 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marian

Default My Impressions of the Sanya City Circuit Race [long]

On Oct 31, 10:09 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article om,

Marian wrote:
On Oct 30, 9:07 pm, wrote:
On Oct 30, 2:02 am, Ewoud Dronkert
wrote:

Just cuz people do things for fun doesn't mean they don't take it
seriously. This is particularly true if you work in a particular field
and you see other people doing a ****ty job and not making good on
promises. It's irksome. You worry that others will think the entire
field behaves that way.

You're probably hinting at misgivings about your fellow statisticians
but in Marian's case of recreational bike racing, I don't buy it. I
didn't need convincing by Chang: it don't mean a thing. Actually,
that's how I approached my own sporting career. I admit this much,
that could be the reason it never went anywhere... However, it is
still the way I teach my pupils: I am serious about my investments,
they should be serious about their commitment but only because we all
intrinsically love doing what we do. Don't expect, and make sure you
don't need, rewards other than your own enjoyment.

I know, I'm an amateur.

No, I wasn't talking about the prize money. I don't give a rat's ass
about it. What I think is ****ty is saying they'll do something and
then not coming through, because it shows that the organizers weren't
serious about their commitment. Part of taking that commitment
seriously is keeping track of the number of laps and timing the damn
racers as they cross the line.

Yep.

Finding out why the ambulance has changed parking places is also a
part of that commitment. And I don't think I'm going too far out on a
limb to suggest that sending someone over to ask whomever is in the
ambulance if they are feeling alright is also a part of a commitment.

I am not, however, entirely sure that they did fail to keep results.
I was first told that I wasn't due prize money because only first
place got prize money. It was only after I argued that their own
specific regulations said that the first three finishers got prize
money that they decided to inform me that I wasn't in second place.

We're not talking about an insubstantial sum of prize money here
either. Even as a highly paid foreigner who can't find enough things
to spend all her money on it still represents about half my monthly
salary. But the point is that I can't find enough things to spend my
salary on already. The only part of my caring about the money they
didn't give me is that they published a set of rules that said they
would give it to me and then didn't.

Have to agree with Marian on this: if you say you're going to pay out a
prize, you had darned well better do so. And if you have a substantial
prize for your race, you ought to do a good job of keeping track of
placings.

It gets better. The fellow from the Sanya City Cycling Association
was here at lunch the other day and ended up at the same table with
(among others) one of China's three UCI Comissaires. This resulted in
his being asked all sorts of questions about how the race was
organized. He claimed that there was a lap board and that I was
approached at the finish line and informed that I was not a finisher
but because I was dehydrated and confused obviously forgot having been
told.

Today the domestic comissaires arrived including (among others) one of
my competitors. Since she's a lot more likely to pay attention to
things like the existence of lap boards and since she wasn't in bad
getting-on-the-ambulance condition at the finish line I tell her what
he said to confirm or deny that my impression of what happened was, in
fact, exactly what happened.

No lap board.

No one but our crowd around me at the finish line.

The local races I enter don't have any prize money and usually end up
with winners picking up the beer tab. This can be pretty expensive
and if you're a contender in your age category it's a good idea to
bring a big wodge of cash to the race just in case you end up winning.

Holy perverse incentives, Batman!

I think that sounds pretty good, actually, since in most races there's
no need to do much to encourage people to try to win (in my amateur
categories, bragging rights from outsprinting the other guy for
second-last are way more important than prize money, or even draw
prizes), but you do want to encourage participation. That means
reasonable entry fees and generally treating the non-podium racers right.

All my local races have are draw prizes. Racers do, however, get a
discount at the bike shop.

As much as I like to mock them, those joggers may be onto something with
their finisher's medals.

I've got more than a few finisher's certificates.

-M

Old November 9th 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc

On Oct 30, 2:07 am, Ewoud Dronkert
wrote:
Marian schreef:

As someone who lives in Sanya and who truly enjoys cycling as a sport

If you really do races because they're fun and to improve yourself, and
30.2 kph for 60 km was the fastest you ever went for the distance, and
you did not win, why did you get knickers in a twist over some prize
money and a 2nd place (loser's) trophy?!

BTW, I checked the ultra comprehensive "100 Years of road cyclists -
Dutch professional riders and their results" and no mention of a Jan
Kole, or Koole, Coole, Koelen or similar. Did he never leave the amateur
ranks despite his Giro and Vuelta exploits?

I did stumble upon the impressive palmares of Richard (Dick) Bukacki,
born 1946, professional 1968-1982, 4 full pages of results, 1 win each
for the 1st 2 years, several wins every year after that. A real sharp
shooter.

--
E. Dronkert

you know i think you have something wrong my dad raced in the 1980's
jan adriaan kole

sincerly Sander Kolw

Old November 9th 07, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc
Donald Munro

wrote:
you know i think you have something wrong my dad raced in the 1980's jan
adriaan kole

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Oh right, well in any case there is no-one by that name in the book,
purporting to hold all Dutch _professional_ road cyclists from 1895 to
1995 or thereabouts. Did your father have a contract as a professional
rider? If indeed he did, the book isn't complete after all...

Perhaps he wasn't registered/licensed in Holland ?

Old November 9th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc
Ewoud Dronkert

Donald Munro wrote:
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Oh right, well in any case there is no-one by that name in the book,
purporting to hold all Dutch _professional_ road cyclists from 1895 to
1995 or thereabouts. Did your father have a contract as a professional
rider? If indeed he did, the book isn't complete after all...

Perhaps he wasn't registered/licensed in Holland ?

No, doesn't matter, the scope of the book is all pro riders of Dutch
nationality.

--
E. Dronkert
Old November 10th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc
Stu Fleming

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Donald Munro wrote:
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Oh right, well in any case there is no-one by that name in the book,
purporting to hold all Dutch _professional_ road cyclists from 1895 to
1995 or thereabouts. Did your father have a contract as a professional
rider? If indeed he did, the book isn't complete after all...

Perhaps he wasn't registered/licensed in Holland ?

No, doesn't matter, the scope of the book is all pro riders of Dutch
nationality.

Dutch sporting names are always very confusing.
There was an English soccer manager in the late 70s who tried to sign
Hertz Van Rental.

My Impressions of the Sanya City Circuit Race [long] Marian General 19 November 10th 07 04:02 AM
Sanya Race Marian Racing 2 October 13th 07 11:17 PM
Cabrach Circuit - long ride report David Martin UK 3 September 6th 05 10:17 AM
A Grand Day Out or A Circuit of the Applecross Peninsula (long, for me anyway) the.Mark UK 5 May 10th 05 08:21 PM
Sunday LAX Circuit race cat6 Racing 0 March 15th 05 09:14 PM