epic stage 3 in TOC

Old November 13th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

Default epic stage 3 in TOC

prologue: the Tour decides supporting so many of SF's finest isn't in it's financial best interest, and goes south for an easy-to-run course in Palo Alto. Nice viewing ops, with plenty of time to walk the entire route.
stage 1: same as last year
stage 2: same as last year. Watch those Botts dots.
stage 3: serious upgrade from last year: through Patterson, Del Puerto Canyon Road (steep climb) to the junction, San Antonio Valley Road (quite steep) to Mt Hamilton summit, 4200 feet of descending over 19 miles into San Jose, short jaunt on Piedmont, 1900 vertical feet with extended 10% grades on Sierra Road, technical descent of Felter Road, run-in into San Jose. It's too bad about that long run-in, but the addition of a second 1st category climb (replacing Patterson Pass) is going to be really interesting. Expect plenty of HD. I've ridden all of these roads west of Patterson.
stage 4-6: basically the same
stage 7: big upgrade, but the finishing circuits will neutralize the mountain pass
Old November 13th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Nov 13, 7:11 am, Dan Connelly
wrote:

stage 3: serious upgrade from last year: through Patterson,
Del Puerto Canyon Road (steep climb) to the junction, San
Antonio Valley Road (quite steep) to Mt Hamilton summit [...]
Sierra Road

This has always been the "obvious" route for a challenging stage in
Northern California, but the February date sometimes makes it iffy.
I've had an end-of-April ride up Hamilton from that side side
shortened due to snow. OTOH, it could set the stage for a fabulous win
like Hampsten's over the Gavia.

Old November 13th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ewoud Dronkert

wrote:
OTOH, it could set the stage for a fabulous win
like Hampsten's over the Gavia.

I'm still here.

--
E. Dronkert
Old November 13th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Nov 13, 8:01 am, Ewoud Dronkert
OTOH, it could set the stage for a fabulous win
like Hampsten's over the Gavia.

I'm still here.

Of course, with global warming, I guess we don't have to worry about
snow.

Old November 13th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark Fennell

Dan Connelly wrote:
stage 3: serious upgrade from last year:

Hamilton from the backside. Wow!

It's too bad about that long run-in, but the addition of a second 1st
category
climb (replacing Patterson Pass) is going to be really interesting.

Personally, I thought that chase (not sure if it was this year or 2006) into
SJ was pretty exciting. Now the descent down the Hamilton will be crazy even
though it's a ways from the finish.

I've ridden all of these roads west of Patterson.

Is Del Puerto Cyn in good shape?

stage 7: big upgrade, but the finishing circuits will neutralize the
mountain pass

You may be right, but I wouldn't be surprised if the total climbing in stage
7 is more than stage 3 or at least close to it. I've ridden a lot of those
roads between Santa Clarita and Angeles Crest and there are quite a few ups
and downs... it's not just a single pass.

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Old November 13th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Nov 13, 8:57 am, wrote:
On Nov 13, 7:11 am, Dan Connelly
wrote:

stage 3: serious upgrade from last year: through Patterson,
Del Puerto Canyon Road (steep climb) to the junction, San
Antonio Valley Road (quite steep) to Mt Hamilton summit [...]
Sierra Road

This has always been the "obvious" route for a challenging stage in
Northern California, but the February date sometimes makes it iffy.
I've had an end-of-April ride up Hamilton from that side side
shortened due to snow. OTOH, it could set the stage for a fabulous win
like Hampsten's over the Gavia.

Not to put too fine a point on things, but Hampsten didn't win that
day on the Gavia. That honor goes to E.Bruekink. Hampstend did
effectively win the Giro that day, though.

Old November 13th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
tacos[_2_]

I have never climbed the backside of Mt.Hamilton I am famileur with the
twisty downhill to Grants Ranch as for Seirra Rd if they climb it I
don't envey them the climb hurts

--
tacos
tacos's Profile: http://www.trianglecycling.com/member.php?userid=438

Old November 13th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Scott wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on things, but Hampsten didn't win that day on
the Gavia.

We like putting a fine point on Ewoud.

Old November 13th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Nov 13, 9:21 am, WeaselPoopPower wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 13, 8:01 am, Ewoud Dronkert
OTOH, it could set the stage for a fabulous win
like Hampsten's over the Gavia.
I'm still here.

Of course, with global warming, I guess we don't have to worry about
snow.

Snow or not the sport could use some more epic stages, not as epic as
the Gavia perhaps but something that represents the side of the sport
that isn't generated by computer, wind tunnel or lab.

5 June, 1988 - The Day the Strong Men Criedhttp://www.hampsten.com/Bikes/ClassicRoad/5June.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wPEymv-oQ

One thing that I find incredibly urksome about Andy is that he never
mentions the fact that Bob Roll brought him up the warm clothes -
actually running him down on the climb up the Gavia and that Bob was
one of the very few actual finishers of that stage.

I always wonder if Andy and he had some sort of disagreement that
caused Andy to never mention him. Hell, Lance mentioned Roll!

RR: Epic monsterman Australia 16 September 6th 06 01:56 AM
Utah Epic aspenmike Unicycling 14 May 23rd 06 12:44 AM
RR: Cyle Epic [QLD] adam85 Australia 8 September 7th 05 03:08 AM
Cape Epic jg Mountain Biking 2 April 11th 05 02:34 PM
More AM-B Epic ID Xtc Mountain Biking 2 July 16th 03 09:28 PM