new question

Old November 5th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default new question

I am training hard to race next year and I even talked to my boss
about time off to do some of the bigger races I read about in those
links you posted for me, like the Altoona one. but now I leanred
about something else. it seems they do a lot of drug testing in this
sport, so I wonder if the homopathic medicine I take for my allergies
will be a problem. Can someone tell me. I have to take it so what
would I do?

LYNDA

Old November 5th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Nov 5, 9:51 am, wrote:
I am training hard to race next year and I even talked to my boss
about time off to do some of the bigger races I read about in those
links you posted for me, like the Altoona one. but now I leanred
about something else. it seems they do a lot of drug testing in this
sport, so I wonder if the homopathic medicine I take for my allergies
will be a problem. Can someone tell me. I have to take it so what
would I do?

First I need a list of all the things you put in your body. Thanks.

Old November 5th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frank Drackman

ups.com...

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/prohibitedlist.ch2

Old November 6th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Frank Drackman" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am training hard to race next year and I even talked to my boss
about time off to do some of the bigger races I read about in those
links you posted for me, like the Altoona one. but now I leanred
about something else. it seems they do a lot of drug testing in this
sport, so I wonder if the homopathic medicine I take for my allergies
will be a problem. Can someone tell me. I have to take it so what
would I do?

LYNDA

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/prohibitedlist.ch2

Never mind homeopathic preparations, I of course went straight to the
alcohol proscriptions.

http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/d...07_List_En.pdf
(page 10)

Good news! Alcohol is prohibited only for in-competition use, and only
in a very restricted set of sports.

Alcohol (ethanol) is prohibited in-competition only, in the following
sports. Detection will be conducted by analysis of breath and/or blood.
The doping violation threshold (haematological values) for each
Federation is reported in parenthesis.

€ Aeronautic (FAI) (0.20 g/L)
€ Archery (FITA, IPC) (0.10 g/L)
€ Automobile (FIA) (0.10 g/L)
€ Boules (CMSB, (0.10 g/L)
IPC bowls)
€ Karate (WKF) (0.10 g/L)
€ Modern Pentathlon (UIPM) (0.10 g/L)
for disciplines involving shooting
€ Motorcycling (FIM) (0.10 g/L)
€ Powerboating (UIM) (0.30 g/L)

If I've calculated correctly, these are very low thresholds for alcohol.
The famous .08 standard, widely used as the threshold of legal
intoxication, is 0.80 g/L. It's fun to speculate on why powerboaters are
allowed to be a little more drunk than pilots, who can be a bit more
drunk than karate fighters (clearly, it's banned there due to the
dreaded "drunken master" style).

Notably, cycling isn't on the list! Woo hoo! Cyclocross is saved! And
notably, Geoff Kabush, who after an early flat or something at Star
Crossed, was seen taking "hand-ups" in the beer garden as he rode out
the race.

Anyone want to explain why, however, Boules has an alcohol prohibition?
I don't see Bocce pulling that sort of thing. The French should know
better!

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
Old November 6th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frank Drackman

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Frank Drackman" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

We had a cross race a few weeks ago in a park that was being strictly
enforced with a no alcohol policy. Many communications were sent out not to
bring any and it was highly stressed at the event that any alcohol use would
automatically stop us from using the park in the future.

I think that we made it but it was close. So many riders are used to
drinking beer at cross races.

Old November 6th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article

x.net],
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
"Frank Drackman" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

As in archery they want to prevent the tragedy of
a wayward missile. Can you imagine the carnage
should a boule find its way into the spectators?
They would be falling over like ... well, like
things that fall over a lot.

--
Michael Press
Old November 6th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ewoud Dronkert

Frank Drackman wrote:
it was highly stressed at the event that any alcohol use would
automatically stop us from using the park in the future.

Why?!

1. Pour in plastic or paper cups.
2. Have a ground clean-up crew for after the race.
3. Arrange to be in the vicinity of good public tranportation or hire
some extra coaches yourself.
4. Perhaps announce breath tests at the car park after the event.

And don't forget to only sell beer in spots that also sell bratwurst
and burgers. It helps you, it helps them.

--
E. Dronkert
Old November 6th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Nov 6, 4:02 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
"Frank Drackman" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I recall some Canadian Snooker player who had a degenerative nervous
disease who thought alcohol suppressed the symptoms, so would drink
beer during his matches. OK, I just looked this up, his name was Bill
Werbeniuk, he died in 2003 at the age of 56. Anyway, alcohol was
eventually banned in snooker, but he managed to get a medical
dispensation from his doctor:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...2Fdb2301.x ml

-ilan