Bike buying advice - new or used?

Old March 30th 05, 07:08 PM
Plin

Default Bike buying advice - new or used?

I'm planning to buy a road bike to get in shape. Shimano 105 or better.
I don't care about the weight nor do I need a lot of expensive
components. Basically, a decent, reliable bike that I'll keep for a
long time.

It looks like Shimano 105 bikes start at around $800 new. I'm wondering
if I'd be better off buying a used bike and either to save some money
or, to get a better bike for the same amount of money (for example dura
ace, etc.).

Supergo has a Scattante 105 bike for $850, which seems like a pretty
good deal, even though I'm not crazy about the name. Is this a good
brand to go with (it's their house brand)?

Also, it seems that most bikes nowadays are aluminum. Personally, I
think I'd rather have a steel frame for better shock absorption, since
light weight isn't a top priority. Does anyone still make steel framed
bikes in this range?

Thanks for any advice!

Old March 30th 05, 07:17 PM
Gearóid Ó Laoi

It's a myth that there's a difference in shock absorbtion between
steel and aluminium or anything else.
The shock absorbtion is in handlebar tape, saddle shorts g
gloves but mostly tyres.
Then I've nothing against steel or aluminium and given a choice
would rather steel myself.
I've several steel and aluminium bikes.

Old March 30th 05, 07:21 PM
Jim Flom

"Plin" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm planning to buy a road bike to get in shape. Shimano 105 or better.
I don't care about the weight nor do I need a lot of expensive
components. Basically, a decent, reliable bike that I'll keep for a
long time.

It looks like Shimano 105 bikes start at around $800 new. I'm wondering
if I'd be better off buying a used bike and either to save some money
or, to get a better bike for the same amount of money (for example dura
ace, etc.).

Thanks for any advice!

As with cars, you are almost always going to get better value buying a good,
late-model used bike than a new one. Try rec.bicycles.marketplace or e-Bay
and see what you can find. I got my wife a one year old bike that woulld've
cost $3000+ new for $1100.

JF

Old March 30th 05, 09:23 PM
maxo

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:17:09 +0100, Gearóid Ó Laoi wrote:

It's a myth that there's a difference in shock absorbtion between steel
and aluminium or anything else.

smart enough to use Knode as a usenet client, and stupid enough to
perpetuate that myth.

My steel roadie with 100psi tires is much more comfy than any aluminum
entry level bike I've test ridden--of course thats comparing apples to
oranges--but the difference is striking at the back end--up front the
carbon forks do the trick of taking the edge off.

Aluminum bikes at the lower end of the spectrum are often extremely harsh
riding, at a certain price point they gain carbon forks which helps, and
then at another price point the quality of the aluminum improves and the
frame is better engineered.

There's a reason that they don't make springs out of aluminum.

Old March 30th 05, 09:29 PM
maxo

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:08:27 -0800, Plin wrote:

I'm planning to buy a road bike to get in shape. Shimano 105 or better. I
don't care about the weight nor do I need a lot of expensive components.
Basically, a decent, reliable bike that I'll keep for a long time.

It looks like Shimano 105 bikes start at around $800 new. I'm wondering if
I'd be better off buying a used bike and either to save some money or, to
get a better bike for the same amount of money (for example dura ace,
etc.).

Used is good if the bike has either not been used or it's been overhauled.
Often used bikes need fresh cassette, chain, tires, cables--stuff that
adds up. You could easily spend a couple hundred just to bring something
even fairly new up to speed. The good thing is that you get to pick those
parts. Sometimes bike shops sell mildly used bikes that've been tuned
up--I got my first real roadie that way in '89, the shop took 300 bucks
off a Trek because it had a couple hundred miles on it.

Supergo has a Scattante 105 bike for $850, which seems like a

pretty
good deal, even though I'm not crazy about the name.

I'd peel off the tante and just ride a Scat. :P

Reviews seem decent--but it sucks not being able to test ride.

Is this a

good
brand to go with (it's their house brand)?

Also, it seems that most bikes nowadays are aluminum. Personally, I
think I'd rather have a steel frame for better shock absorption, since
light weight isn't a top priority. Does anyone still make steel framed
bikes in this range?

Thanks for any advice!

I love steel, but you probably ain't getting it for $850 unless you get a
cyclocross bike, a touring ride, or something used.

I love steel, but aluminum with the new carbon forks rides just fine.
Think about running a slightly wider tire for shock absorbtion, most new
road bikes can handle a 700x28 @90 psi--which feels a lot better than 21 @
115--believe me.

Old March 31st 05, 12:42 AM
Donald Gillies

"Plin" writes:

Supergo has a Scattante 105 bike for $850, which seems like a pretty
good deal, even though I'm not crazy about the name. Is this a good
brand to go with (it's their house brand)?

If you're old like me (43) and you know bikes pretty well, buy the
bike of your childhood dreams for pennies on the dollar. For example,
I bought a raleigh super tourer on ebay for $150 shipped. Mine is a
21-speed with 531 steel frameset, and about 25 lbs total, with light
27" wheels and campagnolo-quality french hubs (maillard 700.)

Back in 1974 it listed for about $300 which would be about $1250 today.

It takes patience to find a classic bike with good paint at a price
like this. If you'd like to trade $$$ for instant gratification then
the for $850 you should be able to find something almost as good that
is brand new.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old March 31st 05, 12:47 AM
Donald Gillies

If you're old like me (43) and you know bikes, then buy the bike of
your childhood dreams for pennies on the dollar. For example, two
weeks ago I bought a Raleigh Super Tourer, a reynold 531 throughout
bike with 21-speed gears and top-quality maillard 700 hubs, for $150
shipped (purchased on ebay.) This bike weighs about 25 lbs and came
with an aluminum rack and bluemels fenders.

That bike listed for about $300 in 1974 which would be $1250 today.

It takes patience to find an older bike with good paint that's in good
mechanical condition for a bargain price. If you don't have time to
invest in such a search, by all means trade $$$ for time and buy a new
bike today for $850, and it should work almost as well.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old March 31st 05, 12:55 AM
Donald Gillies

If you're old like me (43) and you know bikes, then buy the bike of
your childhood dreams for pennies on the dollar. For example, two
weeks ago I bought a Raleigh Super Tourer, a Reynolds 531 throughout
frame with 21-speed gears and top-quality maillard 700 hubs, for $150
shipped (purchased on ebay.) This bike weighs about 25 lbs and came
with an aluminum rack and bluemels fenders and upright bars.

This bike listed for about $300 in 1974 which would be $1250 today.

Mercian makes a similar frameset today (audax special 631) for about
$800 shipped and insured to the USA.

It takes patience to find an older bike with good paint in good
mechanical condition for a bargain price. If you don't have a month
or two to invest in such a search, by all means trade $$$ for time and

Old March 31st 05, 04:29 AM
Callistus Valerius

Thanks for any advice!

We all started out, trying just to get in shape, and before the year is
up, we all bought racing bikes. So you might want to keep that in mind.
105 is a good buy, but if you got the bucks go for an Ultegra. Depending on
your age, if you're older you might want to stick with a triple. Or if you
live in a area where you'll be doing a lot of steep climbing. Triples will
keep you in the game. But if you're young, and you haven't ruined your
knees running, maybe a double.

Old March 31st 05, 06:13 AM
Jim Flom

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thanks for any advice!

We all started out, trying just to get in shape, and before the year is
up, we all bought racing bikes. So you might want to keep that in mind.
105 is a good buy, but if you got the bucks go for an Ultegra.

This is absolutely true. If you once loved cycling and don't want to look
like a geek ("a "fred") pay more for at least Ultegra (better yet, get Campy
Chorus) and a nice frame. I refused to believe in '98 that a perfectly
wonderful bike couldn't be had for $750. I was being "practical" and
anti-trendy. Now, even as my rain bike that bike has been upgraded to
Ultegra and my "A" bike cost $3k in 1999.

JF