What has happened to this place??

Old March 6th 12, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

Default What has happened to this place??

I used to lurk here quite a lot, but not for many years. Today I
decided to see what uk.rec.cycling was like these days, and frankly I
am shocked at what has become of the group. Why are there so many
arguments? Why does every thread degenerate into mudslinging?

There aren't many people still posting that I remember from the old
days. However one person who I do remember is Simon Mason, and the
thing I am most shocked by is the way that he is behaving now. I'm
sure he used to be polite and mature, if utterly misguided. Now I find
him constantly making barbed and unhelpful remarks about other
posters, and generally trying to be as much of a pain as possible. It
seems that every single person who doesn't share his strange points of
view is branded a 'troll' or worse. He's even boasting about making
posts purely to waste other people's time, rather than for any
constructive reason! WTF? Is that not trolling? He also seems to be
replying to his own posts. Why?

And what is the deal with him changing the subject of every thread
that he doesn't like the look of? It seems that 'Mr. Benn' is not
allowed to start any threads praising helmet use or criticising
lawbreaking cyclists without Mr. Mason immediately replying with an
irrelevant article about what some random driver or drivers have done
wrong. Most of these replies don't even have anything to do with
cycling. What is the point of them? And what's wrong with discussing
helmets or lawbreaking cyclists anyway? It's not against cycling in
general to do that, so why attempt to even things up by making off
topic posts which always seem to be against driving in some way? Even
if Mr. Benn were having a go at cyclists in general, how does having a
go at drivers 'get back at him' at all? Most people here are, or were,
both cyclists and drivers.

It makes no sense, and it's so very odd that I can hardly believe that
this is the same Simon Mason who used to post. Why has he started
acting like this? Was it a conscious change or not? Is illness or
alcohol involved? All I know is that the changes have been radical,
disturbing, and to the detriment of all concerned, himself included.
He needs to go back to how he used to be before it's too late. In the
meantime, I doubt I will continue to read uk.rec.cycling. The level of
paranoia is too high, and every single post seems to be taken as some
kind of attack. Not good, people.
Old March 6th 12, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

"M Wicks" wrote in message

[...]

Yes that's a large part of the problem. as an extreme alcoholic he spends
such a large part of the day being completely ****ed and not really knowing
what he's doing or what he's replying to.
We have tried to help him by pointing out that he needs to realise that he's
got a big problem, but as with all alcoholics, he's still in denial.

Aside from which, as the old saying goes : You can always tell a
Yorkshireman - but you can't tell him much!

Old March 6th 12, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 5, 11:23*pm, M Wicks wrote:
I used to lurk here quite a lot, but not for many years. Today I
decided to see what uk.rec.cycling was like these days, and frankly I
am shocked at what has become of the group. Why are there so many
arguments? Why does every thread degenerate into mudslinging?

I am afraid the good old days of urc are largely in the past.
Like in a lot of internet fora, it has become a haven for trolls, some
really sick ones as well who will laugh at dead cyclists and decend
into cyber stalking and foul personal abuse.
I am sure you remember Guy Chapman - he was subject to the most foul
and vicious abuse imaginable, plus he got crank phone calls and home
visits off one troll who also published all of his personal details
here.

My "job" is to purge urc of troll activity by depriving them of what
they most crave - attention.
If the trolls post excessively then so do I to remove their influence.

And the posts you read by the likes of "Mr Benn", "J Nugent", "The
Medway Handyman", "Mr Cheerful" and "Judith" are not meant to
stimulate healthy debate, but are solely designed to stir up trouble,
anti cycling rhetoric, provoke outrage when they mock dead cyclists
and then decend into hateful personal attacks. And all because we
enjoy cycling.

If you wish to discuss cycling in a troll free environment then there
is now uk.rec.cycling.moderated.

Take care and thanks for your input.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 6th 12, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Mar 6, 4:51*am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 5, 11:23*pm, M Wicks wrote:

[...]

Yes, but it's slow because my input is censored.

Old March 6th 12, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"M Wicks" wrote in message
[...]

You started well M Wicks, reflecting what many think. I don't learn very
much about cycling here these days, shame. However your post developed in to
an attack on Simon Mason, who as you say has some 'non mainstream' views.
But I believe he has good intent. Most of his posts are regarding articles
from http://road.cc/ I think, I could be wrong. It's up to us all to make
this group about cycling and not car bashing.

Old March 6th 12, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Mar 6, 8:17*am, "Jolly polly" wrote:

[...]

I wonder if carrying a 14lb sledge hammer gives the bicycler more room
than he gets carrying a U-lock.
Old March 6th 12, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 6, 8:17*am, "Jolly polly" wrote:

You started well M Wicks, reflecting what many think. I don't learn very
much about cycling here these days, shame. However your post developed in to
an attack on Simon Mason, who as you say has some 'non mainstream' views.
But I believe he has good intent. Most of his posts are regarding articles
fromhttp://road.cc/I think, I could be wrong. It's up to us all to make
this group about cycling and not car bashing.- Hide quoted text -

The fact that I am on the white list in the moderated group tells you
all you need to know about me and my intentions.
In any case, apart from the trolls, there is only one person on this
newsgroup who wants me to stop posting, all of the others have
encouraged me to stay, as before I came back to this group in May last
year, it was just a hornet's nest of trolls baiting people and
laughing at dead toddlers and grannies, like the sickoes are now doing
on Twitter and Facebook.

The group should be grateful that they have a full time trollbuster
otherwise it would just decend into hateful and spiteful bile.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 6th 12, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 06/03/2012 04:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 5, 11:23 pm, M wrote:
[...]

You really are an abject, filthy liar.

*I* have never mocked any dead person, cyclist or otherwise. Neither have I
indulged in any "hateful personal attacks", though I do state that for as
long as you continue to post personal attacks (especially attacks on me), I
feel free to shed appropriate light and shade on your own self-confessed and
quite weird behaviour.

You can cause that to stop at any time. It's in your hands.

Old March 6th 12, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

"M Wicks" wrote in message

[...]

than he gets carrying a U-lock.- Hide quoted text -

Bloody hell.
As my bike already weighs 14lbs its mass would instantly double.
No thanks.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 6th 12, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
M Wicks wrote:

I used to lurk here quite a lot, but not for many years. Today I
decided to see what uk.rec.cycling was like these days, and frankly I
am shocked at what has become of the group. Why are there so many
arguments? Why does every thread degenerate into mudslinging?

It'd take a while and ICBA ...

There aren't many people still posting that I remember from the old
days. However one person who I do remember is Simon Mason ....

This is from where your post goes downhill, asking similar stuff to
what 'the trolls' have already asked many times, and for why I call
troll.

Plus, I don't recall your name at all, and a quick search also doesn't
shed much light ...

It's Mason messing about