A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Dad, 59, knocked over by cyclist killed himself five weeks later

Old July 11th 20, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Dad, 59, knocked over by cyclist killed himself five weeks later

QUOTE:
A dad who suffered a fractured skull after being knocked down by a cyclist killed himself five weeks later - after becoming paranoid that his family was in danger.

David Sayer took his own life at his home on Tay Close, in Longton, after becoming 'consumed' by the incident.

An inquest heard the 59-year-old was knocked over on August 1, 2018 on a pavement in Longton.

Partner Soraia Sousa described her boyfriend as being on a 'state of alert at all times'. She returned home from work to find him dead on September 7, 2018.

They had been together for 10 years. The former warehouse worker had been treated for anxiety and depression by his GP.

In a statement, Soraia said: "In August, 2018 he was involved in an incident in Longton where he was struck by a cyclist and suffered a fractured skull.

"He contacted the police, but then he said he didn't want to prosecute. There was then an explosion of anxiety and paranoia, he became consumed by this moment.

"He would tell me we were in danger and so were our dogs. He said people had been stopping vehicles and staring at him.

"He stopped going to work and his behaviour was very erratic. He would get up in the middle of the night and open closed windows to make sure they were locked. He stopped eating and was on a state of alert at all times."

The inquest heard Soraia last saw David alive when she left for work at 10.45am on September 7, 2018. She said he 'seemed calm'.

She added: "When I came home at 8.30pm I saw there were no lights on in the house, but his car was in the drive. I thought it was very unusual and I was worried before I entered the house.

"I entered and our two dogs were in the living room. I called David's name and got no answer. I went upstairs and found him. He was deceased and I telephoned for help.

"I couldn't imagine him doing this. He was usually a happy person."

A suicide note was found at the property. A medical expert found David had a delusional disorder which was made worse by the accident.

North Staffordshire senior coroner Andrew Barkley recorded a conclusion of suicide.

He said: "He suffered with past mental health problems and was struck by a cyclist riding on the pavement. He fell and fractured the back of his skull.

"It was a small event that was the trigger for sadly what was to happen. It has been investigated thoroughly by Staffordshire Police. I am satisfied that he intended to take his life."

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news...yclist-4305510
Ads
Old July 11th 20, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

On 11/07/2020 10:45, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
A dad who suffered a fractured skull after being knocked down by a cyclist killed himself five weeks later - after becoming paranoid that his family was in danger.

David Sayer took his own life at his home on Tay Close, in Longton, after becoming 'consumed' by the incident.

An inquest heard the 59-year-old was knocked over on August 1, 2018 on a pavement in Longton.

Partner Soraia Sousa described her boyfriend as being on a 'state of alert at all times'. She returned home from work to find him dead on September 7, 2018.

They had been together for 10 years. The former warehouse worker had been treated for anxiety and depression by his GP.

In a statement, Soraia said: "In August, 2018 he was involved in an incident in Longton where he was struck by a cyclist and suffered a fractured skull.

"He contacted the police, but then he said he didn't want to prosecute. There was then an explosion of anxiety and paranoia, he became consumed by this moment.

"He would tell me we were in danger and so were our dogs. He said people had been stopping vehicles and staring at him.

"He stopped going to work and his behaviour was very erratic. He would get up in the middle of the night and open closed windows to make sure they were locked. He stopped eating and was on a state of alert at all times."

The inquest heard Soraia last saw David alive when she left for work at 10.45am on September 7, 2018. She said he 'seemed calm'.

She added: "When I came home at 8.30pm I saw there were no lights on in the house, but his car was in the drive. I thought it was very unusual and I was worried before I entered the house.

"I entered and our two dogs were in the living room. I called David's name and got no answer. I went upstairs and found him. He was deceased and I telephoned for help.

"I couldn't imagine him doing this. He was usually a happy person."

A suicide note was found at the property. A medical expert found David had a delusional disorder which was made worse by the accident.

North Staffordshire senior coroner Andrew Barkley recorded a conclusion of suicide.

He said: "He suffered with past mental health problems and was struck by a cyclist riding on the pavement. He fell and fractured the back of his skull.

"It was a small event that was the trigger for sadly what was to happen. It has been investigated thoroughly by Staffordshire Police. I am satisfied that he intended to take his life."

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news...yclist-4305510

It's impossible for a cyclist to injure anyone. We know that because
we've been told it here, many times. And we've also been told that
riding on the "pavement" (footway) is totally harmless to pedestrians.
Old July 11th 20, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 10:45:47 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

It reminds me of the sad case of a van driver also taking his own life after colliding with a suicidal ex-footballer.

QUOTE:
Van driver, 24, who swerved to avoid Clarke Carlisle when footballer (SIC) walked in front of a lorry is found dead after being 'plagued by nightmares'

Chris Kilbride, 24, helped tend to Clarke Carlisle after suicide attempt
He swerved to avoid footballer after he walked in front of a lorry last year
Mr Kilbride was traumatised by the bloody scene and suffered flashbacks
Family confirmed father-of-two has died and paid tribute to 'amazing' man

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...isle-dead.html

Old July 11th 20, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

On 11/07/2020 14:26, Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 10:45:47 AM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

It reminds me of the sad case of a van driver also taking his own life after colliding with a suicidal ex-footballer.

QUOTE:
Van driver, 24, who swerved to avoid Clarke Carlisle when footballer (SIC) walked in front of a lorry is found dead after being 'plagued by nightmares'

Chris Kilbride, 24, helped tend to Clarke Carlisle after suicide attempt
He swerved to avoid footballer after he walked in front of a lorry last year
Mr Kilbride was traumatised by the bloody scene and suffered flashbacks
Family confirmed father-of-two has died and paid tribute to 'amazing' man

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...isle-dead.html

Yes, any driver whose vehicle hits a person who has suddenly appeared in
front of them (especially from a totally unexpected direction) would
probably be traumatised.

Of course and unfortunately, there are those who would not let
considerations for the welfare of third parties deter them from doing
just as they like.

I'm sure you agree.