Trek Pure Sport or Electra Townie 28 or Trek Lime ???

Old September 7th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Ozark Bicycle

Default Trek Pure Sport or Electra Townie 28 or Trek Lime ???

On Sep 6, 11:25 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

snip

For info on bicycle-friendly
communities-http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/communities/

And for another point of view:

http://www.labreform.org/BFC.html

I have my doubts that Mr Oswald & Hoffman have actually been to one of the
DC Bike Summits.

Perhaps you should ask them.

At any rate, I think another point of view deserved an airing. With a
greedy corporate juggernaut such as Trek beating the drums for the
'other side', I think these guys need all the exposure they can get.

Old September 7th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Mike Jacoubowsky

At any rate, I think another point of view deserved an airing. With a
greedy corporate juggernaut such as Trek beating the drums for the
'other side', I think these guys need all the exposure they can get.

Could you, please, provide a definition of what this "other side" is, and
what makes it so evil?

Is it something that happens when you get "too big?" How big would that be?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 7th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 7, 11:25 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
At any rate, I think another point of view deserved an airing. With a
greedy corporate juggernaut such as Trek beating the drums for the
'other side', I think these guys need all the exposure they can get.

Could you, please, provide a definition of what this "other side" is, and
what makes it so evil?

Did I mention "evil"? Perhaps you have something on your mind?

Your Freudian slips aside, the 'other side' is the side that wants to
relegate bicycles to bike lanes, bike paths, etc. The side Trek, in
their quest to sell more bikes, is supporting. The side that, in the
long run, works against the use of bicycles as legitimate means of
transportation.

As opposed to this:

http://www.labreform/BFC.html

Old September 7th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
vey

Ozark Bicycle wrote:

As opposed to this:

http://www.labreform/BFC.html

Maybe that site is off line?
Old September 7th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Ozark Bicycle

On Sep 7, 3:49 pm, vey wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:

As opposed to this:

http://www.labreform/BFC.html

Maybe that site is off line?

Mea culpa!

http://www.labreform.org/BFC.html

Old September 8th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Could you, please, provide a definition of what this "other side" is, and
what makes it so evil?

Did I mention "evil"? Perhaps you have something on your mind?

Your Freudian slips aside, the 'other side' is the side that wants to
relegate bicycles to bike lanes, bike paths, etc. The side Trek, in
their quest to sell more bikes, is supporting. The side that, in the
long run, works against the use of bicycles as legitimate means of
transportation.

As opposed to this:

http://www.labreform/BFC.html

Are you arguing just to argue, or are you actually involved in advocacy in
some manner?

Just because you support bike lanes & paths does not mean you're against
complete access to the roads for cyclists. If you were to visit Trek, you'd
find the majority of its employees would be the sort who'd rebel radically
against an attempt to force anyone onto a multi-use bike path (the worst of
all possible worlds, in my humble opinion, for those of us who ride
competently).

Trek presently makes money selling bikes largely to competent, experienced
cyclists. They're not a stupid company. They're not going to kill the goose
that laid the golden egg.

We can have both. That's what I push for, that's what you should be pushing
for. There's room in this world for all manner of cyclists, not just those
who ride the same as either you or I.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old September 8th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:45:05 -0700, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:

Your Freudian slips aside, the 'other side' is the side that wants to
relegate bicycles to bike lanes, bike paths, etc. The side Trek, in
their quest to sell more bikes, is supporting.

My Trek Portland is quite suited for actual roads, and it proves
itself every workday morning.

Bike lanes? Roads? Whatever works for the individual riding the bike.

More bikes = better. Always!
Old September 8th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
landotter

On Sep 7, 4:58 pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Sep 7, 3:49 pm, vey wrote:

Ozark Bicycle wrote:

As opposed to this:

http://www.labreform/BFC.html

Maybe that site is off line?

Mea culpa!

http://www.labreform.org/BFC.html

I agree with them to a point. Back in Gothenburg we have dedicated
bicycle roads completely separated from traffic with their own lights--
they're incredible. Of course you're free to use the roadway as well.
My neighborhood here has cycle lanes on a couple major routes, and
they're there simply because there was enough room to paint them. They
were done well. Cycling is up hundredfolds here on the east bank of
the holler, probably due to folks seeing my magnificent bod hauling
dog food in an ancient Timbuk2 bag.

To be honest, I'm more worried about the local evening peloton of
yuppies that fly through stop signs en masse, even when they don't
have the right-of-way. I'm thinking thumbtacks. Beautiful thumbtacks--
even more badass than the pump scene in Breaking Away. Damn Townies.

Old September 8th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Are you arguing just to argue, or are you actually involved in
advocacy in some manner?

Mike, why are you protecting (hiding) this person's identity? Shall I
assume it's Ozark (or some other long-ago plonkee)?

Bill "quotation, please" S.

Bill: Sorry, in my haste to keep the relevant portion of text brief, I
clipped too much. Yes, this is a conversation with Ozark.

{Who wrote???:}

Did I mention "evil"? Perhaps you have something on your mind?

Your Freudian slips aside, the 'other side' is the side that wants to
relegate bicycles to bike lanes, bike paths, etc. The side Trek, in
their quest to sell more bikes, is supporting. The side that, in the
long run, works against the use of bicycles as legitimate means of
transportation.

As opposed to this:

http://www.labreform/BFC.html

Are you arguing just to argue, or are you actually involved in
advocacy in some manner?

Mike, why are you protecting (hiding) this person's identity? Shall I
assume it's Ozark (or some other long-ago plonkee)?

Bill "quotation, please" S.

{rest relegated to the bike path...}