The spectral memorials that haunt our roads.

Old October 5th 08, 07:02 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default The spectral memorials that haunt our roads.

Is it any wonder that they choose to cycle on pavements to avoid
dangerous drivers'?

"They started in San Francisco, spread throughout the States and are
now appearing in cities worldwide ghostly white bikes adorned with
fresh flowers that mark the spot where a cyclist has been killed. As
they begin to appear across Britain, Geraldine Bedell talks to the
creators of these poetic shrines and the victims families..."

Mo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/oct/05/art

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
Old October 5th 08, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Doug wrote:

Is it any wonder that they choose to cycle illegally on pavements?

Isn't this a copy of an article you posted a short while ago?

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'
ebay stuff http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/paul-xxx
Old October 5th 08, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 23:02:26 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

Is it any wonder that they choose to cycle on pavements to avoid
dangerous drivers'?

"They started in San Francisco, spread throughout the States and are
now appearing in cities worldwide ghostly white bikes adorned with
fresh flowers that mark the spot where a cyclist has been killed. As
they begin to appear across Britain, Geraldine Bedell talks to the
creators of these poetic shrines and the victims families..."

Mo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/oct/05/art

Here's a report on the ghost bike left in Greenwich park after Leonard
Woods was killed by Coong Duong Voong who was driving on the wrong
side of the road.

Voong was fined £2,500 for his "momentary inattention".
Old October 5th 08, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
BOFH

"Doug" wrote in message
Is it any wonder that they choose to cycle on pavements to avoid
dangerous drivers'?

"They started in San Francisco, spread throughout the States and are
now appearing in cities worldwide ghostly white bikes adorned with
fresh flowers that mark the spot where a cyclist has been killed. As
they begin to appear across Britain, Geraldine Bedell talks to the
creators of these poetic shrines and the victims families..."

Mo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/oct/05/art

Quote from site

"A memorial to James Foster in Essex Road......
James, who was 37, was pushing his bike across the road when he was hit by a
car driven by 24 year-old Sabrina Harman. She was over the drink-drive limit
and speeding and had a previous conviction for drink-driving. She had been
banned for a year and still had not regained her full licence."

As a driver, parent and cyclist (along with ten year old son), I resent the
campaign to tar all "motorists" with the same brush, and particularly the
association with characters like the woman named above.

With respect, if less than 150 cyclists are being killed nationally, what's
the fuss ? Its a bloody tragedy for those concerned, but with the number
using the roads, alongside cars, lorries, busses etc, ****s gonna happen.
Accidents happen. Individual people occasionally behave appallingly and
irreparably.

Some people drink, fight, stab, glass people etc. Some people drink, have a
jolly good time, get a kebab, go home to bed. All drinkers, but all
individuals.

The anti "motorist" campaign is as insulting to the majority as it is
dangerous.

Old October 5th 08, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:11:24 +0100, "BOFH" wrote:

The anti "motorist" campaign is as insulting to the majority as it is
dangerous.

I fail to see how leaving a ghost bike at the spot where a cyclist has
been killed is "anti motorist".
Old October 5th 08, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
Is it any wonder that they choose to cycle on pavements to avoid
dangerous drivers'?

"They started in San Francisco, spread throughout the States and are
now appearing in cities worldwide ghostly white bikes adorned with
fresh flowers that mark the spot where a cyclist has been killed. As
they begin to appear across Britain, Geraldine Bedell talks to the
creators of these poetic shrines and the victims families..."

Mo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/oct/05/art

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"We aren't blocking traffic, we are traffic".

Rehashing old threads again?
Is that the best you can do?

--
Tony the Dragon
Old October 5th 08, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
BOFH

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:11:24 +0100, "BOFH" wrote:

The anti "motorist" campaign is as insulting to the majority as it is
dangerous.

I fail to see how leaving a ghost bike at the spot where a cyclist has
been killed is "anti motorist".

do you ?

Using the example of the repeated drunk driving woman gives the message...

Old October 5th 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:58:55 +0100, "BOFH" wrote:

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:11:24 +0100, "BOFH" wrote:

The anti "motorist" campaign is as insulting to the majority as it is
dangerous.

I fail to see how leaving a ghost bike at the spot where a cyclist has
been killed is "anti motorist".

do you ?

Using the example of the repeated drunk driving woman gives the message...

....that the woman's actions were an outrage.
Old October 5th 08, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_5_]

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:58:55 +0100, "BOFH" wrote:

"Tom Crispin" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:11:24 +0100, "BOFH" wrote:

The anti "motorist" campaign is as insulting to the majority as it
is dangerous.

I fail to see how leaving a ghost bike at the spot where a cyclist
has been killed is "anti motorist".

do you ?

Using the example of the repeated drunk driving woman gives the
message...

...that the woman's actions were an outrage which no sensible person would
condone.

Now, doesn't that read better?

Old October 5th 08, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
John Wright

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:11:24 +0100, "BOFH" wrote:

The anti "motorist" campaign is as insulting to the majority as it is
dangerous.

I fail to see how leaving a ghost bike at the spot where a cyclist has
been killed is "anti motorist".

There is probably an assumption, based on years of domination of
uk.transport by Duhg in one form or another, that all cyclist deaths are
caused by car drivers who set out having one intention only - to kill
someone.

We all know this is not true.

--
John Wright

I used to drive a car a lot also, which probably contributes to back
troubles. - Doug Bollen.

Riding on roads in PGH Brett Simmers General 4 August 31st 06 02:30 AM
So Cal Roads [email protected] Rides 0 January 13th 05 04:39 PM
Cyclist Memorials powinc Australia 9 May 18th 04 11:50 PM
Roadside Memorials Simonb UK 19 March 3rd 04 09:01 PM
Alaskan roads U-Turn Unicycling 12 November 8th 03 04:49 AM