Mavic Equipe front wheel bearing noise

Old November 11th 13, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Mavic Equipe front wheel bearing noise

On Monday, November 11, 2013 3:30:07 PM UTC-5, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Monday, November 11, 2013 8:37:15 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Monday, November 11, 2013 9:55:24 AM UTC-5, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:11:11 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:30:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I would say, it feels like a brake vibration, humm (with the brakes pads clear of the rim) like a rummble strip in a car going at highway speeds.

Weird. Could it have something to do with contact between spokes? ...

The Equipe front is radially spoked.

Well, that kills my idea. Back to the mystery.

It sounds like a bad bearing (notwithstanding the prior replacement). As mentioned above, it could be a damaged tire. I would throw on a different wheel to rule out problems elsewhere, although I can't imagine what problems could cause a buzzing in the front end, at least not on a rim brake bike. I can get a buzzing sound when a return spring on a warn disc pad starts to contact the rotor. The other possibility are really loose spokes, but that problem would be obvious, unless all spokes loosened evenly, and it would sound like a rattle.

Datakoll does make a good point, which you confirm: It can be very hard to tell where a bike noise is coming from.

The only other thing I'll say now is that I'm really careful about fixing bike noises. Some things that sound like mild irritations can suddenly throw you.

Besides, even a benign noise, like a slight chain squeak, can add subliminal dismalness to a bike ride.

- Frank Krygowski

Another cause of a buzz is a FD cable end being bent over on to the tire -- or anything contacting the tire (crap under the crown). So if he has high speed buzz, maybe its because the FD is on the big ring, and a cable is contacting the tire. You can even get a sort of buzz feeling out of a dry chain, but not a buzz noise.

You can get a sort of high frequency buzz (more like a rattle) if the compression cap on the steerer loosens, which can happen on some steerers. E.g.., you put on the stem, adjust pre-load with the compression cap and lock down the stem -- and that takes some load off the compression cap, which can allow it to loosen and rattle without changing the HS adjustment. You can also get lever rattle on STI (at least the older stuff). But rattles are different from buzzes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Thanks everyone for the ideas/things to check. I am pretty sure the noise is coming from the front wheel, it stops if I hop the front wheel off the ground (while riding). I swear it sounds like the bearing is spinning or vibrating, but the bearing is pressed in. I know some bearings should be installed with loctite, the shop had never heard of that...
If I do find out the cause I will come back and post what is was.
Old November 12th 13, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

when the shop does that, spit on their floor.

http://www.thinkbluela.com/wp-conten...le-Spokes-Jim- Degerstrom.jpg

so what goes: rattle rattle clink clink clink ?

Old November 12th 13, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:35:02 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
when the shop does that, spit on their floor.

http://www.thinkbluela.com/wp-conten...le-Spokes-Jim- Degerstrom.jpg

so what goes: rattle rattle clink clink clink ?

No rattle or clink, it is almost like a shopping cart oscillating, but faster cadence. The wheel has no play installed on fork,(bearings)spin smoothly on/off bike. Happens while freewheeling or pedaling. Happens after hitting a bump and only happens at higher speed, 20 plus. Seems to have some drag, when happening, not confident inspiring. Very strange.
Old November 12th 13, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/11/13 08:27, wrote:
On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:35:02 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
when the shop does that, spit on their floor.

http://www.thinkbluela.com/wp-conten...le-Spokes-Jim-
Degerstrom.jpg

so what goes: rattle rattle clink clink clink ?

No rattle or clink, it is almost like a shopping cart oscillating,
but faster cadence. The wheel has no play installed on
fork,(bearings)spin smoothly on/off bike. Happens while freewheeling
or pedaling. Happens after hitting a bump and only happens at higher
speed, 20 plus. Seems to have some drag, when happening, not
confident inspiring. Very strange.

Does it have bladed spokes?

I wonder if they are somehow vibrating with the air passing over them
after a bump sets off the oscillations?

It might be that the spokes just need to be tightened to increase the
resonant frequency?

Perhaps get a bike shop with wheel building tools to check the spoke
tension is something like 100kgf

--
JS
Old November 12th 13, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:05:23 PM UTC-5, James wrote:

Does it have bladed spokes?

I wonder if they are somehow vibrating with the air passing over them
after a bump sets off the oscillations?

It might be that the spokes just need to be tightened to increase the
resonant frequency?

Or, as a temporary test, fasten a bit of extra mass to the middle of each spoke, to lower the resonant frequency? See if it happens at a different speed? I suppose a bit of solder taped in place on each spoke might suffice.

Some might say a "tie and solder" job would be in order. But if those are radial spokes, it would be tricky!

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 13th 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:41:07 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:05:23 PM UTC-5, James wrote:

Does it have bladed spokes?

I wonder if they are somehow vibrating with the air passing over them

after a bump sets off the oscillations?

It might be that the spokes just need to be tightened to increase the

resonant frequency?

Or, as a temporary test, fasten a bit of extra mass to the middle of each spoke, to lower the resonant frequency? See if it happens at a different speed? I suppose a bit of solder taped in place on each spoke might suffice.

Some might say a "tie and solder" job would be in order. But if those are radial spokes, it would be tricky!

- Frank Krygowski

NNNNNN

YEAH AFIX 6 1OZ CLAMP ON FISHING SINKERS TO 6 ADJACENT SPOKES SEE IF THAT CURES THE NOISE
Old November 14th 13, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:45:20 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
[...]

I think I am going to take the wheel back to the shop and try a ride with a spare front wheel that I have. I will have the shop check the spoke tension.
Old November 17th 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:01:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Update it is the freewheel howling.....

Old November 23rd 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 8:52:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have these Mavic Equipe 2009 wheels, very solid wheels lots of miles. They are making a buzzing sound after hitting a bump over 20 mph. The buzzing goes on until

I slow down. I did find play (in the bearing) with the wheel installed. I tightened the bearing, but the issue came back. I had a local bike shop replace the bearings and the vibrating bearing are back again with the new bearings. The headset is tight, no play and brakes are normal.

Anybody have any ideas?

Is was the free hub making the sound. It was louder when pedaling backwards, so I knew right away that I was wrong. But now know for sure what it is.
I took the cassette and freehub off and found out the the bolt and nut holding the freehub on was loose (could turn by hand). Cleaned everything, lubed with mineral oil and reassembled. Have not ridden the bike yet, will ride today.
Old November 23rd 13, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 8:58:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Congratulations.

As I said, noises on a bike are notoriously hard to locate! If a noise from a rear hub can sound like it's coming from the front wheel, it makes diagnosis really tricky.

- Frank Krygowski