Any experience of threadless bottom brackets ?

Old September 14th 03, 12:23 PM
Alex Bird

Default Any experience of threadless bottom brackets ?

Hello,
I'm currently trying to make a salvaged frame into a bike, using parts
from my current bike, as cheaply as possible.
Before you start, I'm well aware how cheap a new bike can be, and the
implications of re-using old kit, it's what I tell people when they
ask me to fix cheap consumer electronics etc. I know that if you have
the time, and can risk the cost rising so it isn't really economical,
and you don't care, then it's fine ;0)
The frame is completely straight and sound. The problem is the length
of time it was outside; the alloy frame is fine, the bottom bracket
was immovable. A metal shop removed it, by welding leverage on.
There isn't a lot of thread left, though it's fine further in.
Once we've worked out the right length for my chainset, I intend to
fit a sealed bottom bracket that screws into itself. These seem to be
made by YST, and I am warned they are not of high quality.
Of course quality is relative, the bike is mainly used on city roads
here in edinburgh and is a bit of a stopgap, in 18 months I will have
finished uni. and might have a lot more money to spend, or need a
different kind of bike...

Are there higher quality options for a stripped bb thread?
Would thread-lok be advisable? I can't see what stops them undoing.
Are they _completely_ crap (I don't stamp on the pedals half as much
as I used to) ?

Sorry about long post, Big thanks for any Advice,
Alex
Old September 15th 03, 02:36 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 04:23:21 +0000, Alex Bird wrote:

immovable. A metal shop removed it, by welding leverage on. There isn't a
lot of thread left, though it's fine further in.

Shimano low-end bottom brackets are one-piece cartridges, and you can get
by with surprizingly little viable thread with one of them. I know. Probably
worth a try; they are cheap, and someone else can use it if it does not
work for you.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies

Old September 15th 03, 09:41 AM
Alex Bird

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 04:23:21 +0000, Alex Bird wrote:

immovable. A metal shop removed it, by welding leverage on. There isn't a
lot of thread left, though it's fine further in.

Shimano low-end bottom brackets are one-piece cartridges, and you can get
by with surprizingly little viable thread with one of them. I know. Probably
worth a try; they are cheap, and someone else can use it if it does not
work for you.

I think I might try this, think there might be enough metal there.
Fingers crossed, I'll be in the shop later...
Old September 15th 03, 11:30 AM
Steve McDonald

What I would do in this stripped-thread situation, to squeeze more
use out of the bike, is this: I'd clean all the grease out of the
bottom bracket and finish with an alcohol scrubbing. Then, I'd apply
some metal-mending epoxy putty (JB-Weld is good) to the threads, before
installing the inner parts. This would cause a permanent lock, so you
couldn't adjust the bearing cups or add grease later. I'd use the
standard putty, not the quick-set type, so I could properly set the
adjustable cup, before it hardened.
If only the right-side fixed cup is stripped, I'd use putty on it only
and the left-side cup could still be adjusted. Grease would need to be
added to the bearing cups, but kept out of their epoxied threads during
insertion.

This is a last-resort solution, but I've salvaged a longer
working-life out of many different things that had stripped threads, by
using it. I've even fixed broken frame tubes out on the road, by using
several wraps of fiberglass reinforcing cloth and epoxy resin, from my
extensive repair kit. Sometimes I've inserted part of a metal tire-iron
under the cloth, to make a splint. This might also be done using duct
tape, in a more urgent and temporary solution.

Steve McDonald