Mountain Bike

Old July 28th 03, 04:50 PM
Pete

Default Mountain Bike

"R R" wrote
I have a relatively inexpensive Mountain Bike I bought several years ago

for
pleasure riding.
Question is, could a cheap mountain bike handle real mountains and tough
terrain? The last thing I want to do is be stuck carrying my bike home

when
I'm far from it.

Define cheap.

Dept store cheap, or bike shop cheap?

I have a '99 Specialized HardRock, $350(?), that has served well for many
thousand miles, on and off road.

Pete

Old August 2nd 03, 03:00 AM
James Messick

"Pete" wrote in message

Dept store cheap, or bike shop cheap?

I have a '99 Specialized HardRock, $350(?), that has served well for many
thousand miles, on and off road.

Really. My theory is that cheap bike-store bikes are actually more durable
than the more expensive ones. That's because the cheaper gruppos are heavier
so should be pretty strong, right?

Old August 2nd 03, 03:35 PM
Rick Onanian

On 2 Aug 2003 02:00:22 GMT, James Messick wrote:
Really. My theory is that cheap bike-store bikes are actually more
durable
than the more expensive ones. That's because the cheaper gruppos are
heavier so should be pretty strong, right?

No such luck. When you get that cheap, they're made out of very
cheap alloys that break easier.

--
Rick Onanian