Wal-Mart Italian Road Bike for $1198

Old May 2nd 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Wal-Mart Italian Road Bike for $1198

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

But for the larger sizes, there is some hope. Completely out of the blue,
Trek decided to build a 64cm Madone this year.

Thank g-d there is some hope! All those tall riders were sitting at home
watching television and eating junk food, waiting for Trek to give them
hope. Actually, believe it or not, there was hope even before Trek, as
hard as that is to believe.

There were several good quality 64cm road bicycles before the Madone,
I.e. the Douglas Fusion Ultegra SL, made by Litespeed, for Colorado
Cyclist is available in 64cm and is popular for taller riders. A good
deal at $1499 too. "http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/kit/DXXAASU1".

Carbon frames that large tend to have problems of too much flex, which
is what the reviews of the 64cm Madone found. Colnago seems to have
solved this problem in their carbon fiber frames and they go up to 65 cm.

Old May 2nd 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Harry Brogan wrote:
On Thu, 1 May 2008 23:48:02 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
t...
While it's no great deal, at least Wal-Mart appears to be at
least
making an effort to move up-market with their offering of a 105
equipped Italian-made road bike with carbon fork and seat stays
for
around $1200.

"http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5751045"

Now we just have to figure out who's buying $1200 road bikes at
Wal-Mart. Are these professionally assembled by that high school
kid in the bike department?

I'll bet WalMart could save a lot of SKUs if they stocked
everything, not just higher-end bikes, in S/M/L sizing. Think of
how
much better use of floorspace you'd have if apparel only came in
S/M/L sizing!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Your forgot one...the sizing of XXXXXL for quite a few of the
Wally
World shoppers!!!!!

Yes, "Size 3" in the women's section is XXXL, "Size 5" is XXXXXL,
etc.

You don't have to be morbidly obese to shop at Wal-mart, but it
helps.

Old May 2nd 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Larry Farrell

wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
t...
| While it's no great deal, at least Wal-Mart appears to be at least
| making an effort to move up-market with their offering of a 105 equipped
| Italian-made road bike with carbon fork and seat stays for around $1200.
|
| "http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5751045"
|
| Now we just have to figure out who's buying $1200 road bikes at
| Wal-Mart. Are these professionally assembled by that high school kid in
| the bike department?

I'll bet WalMart could save a lot of SKUs if they stocked everything, not
just higher-end bikes, in S/M/L sizing. Think of how much better use of
floorspace you'd have if apparel only came in S/M/L sizing!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Your forgot one...the sizing of XXXXXL for quite a few of the Wally
World shoppers!!!!!

Not needed. Those XXXXXL customers won't be shopping for bikes or any
other exercise equipment!
Old May 2nd 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Harry Brogan wrote:

Your forgot one...the sizing of XXXXXL for quite a few of the Wally
World shoppers!!!!!

Bicycle sizing is more by inseam, height, and arm length than by weight.
Old May 2nd 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On May 1, 9:58 pm, SMS wrote:
While it's no great deal, at least Wal-Mart appears to be at least
making an effort to move up-market with their offering of a 105 equipped
Italian-made road bike with carbon fork and seat stays for around $1200.

"http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5751045"

Darn, I was hoping to see a big cardboard plate in the front wheel
that said "700c!"
Old May 2nd 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

landotter wrote:
On May 1, 9:58 pm, SMS wrote:
While it's no great deal, at least Wal-Mart appears to be at least
making an effort to move up-market with their offering of a 105 equipped
Italian-made road bike with carbon fork and seat stays for around $1200.

"http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5751045"

Darn, I was hoping to see a big cardboard plate in the front wheel
that said "700c!"

Amusingly, the "26" Men's Kent GMC Denali Road Bike" has 700C wheels.

"http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046"
Old May 2nd 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

SMS wrote:
Now we just have to figure out who's buying $1200 road bikes at
Wal-Mart. Are these professionally assembled by that high school kid in
the bike department?

Why settle for the cheap one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5751048

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
Old May 3rd 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]
But for the larger sizes, there is some hope. Completely out of the blue,
Trek decided to build a 64cm Madone this year. We sell quite a few of them.[...]

Was it really "completely out of the blue" or did people like you (Trek
dealers) ask for the larger size?

Old May 3rd 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Large CFRP Frames (was: Wal-Mart Italian Road Bike for $1198)

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
[...]
Carbon frames that large tend to have problems of too much flex, which
is what the reviews of the 64cm Madone found. Colnago seems to have
solved this problem in their carbon fiber frames and they go up to 65 cm.

The larger CFRP frames being too flexible is just poor engineering, and
has nothing to do with the inherent properties of CFRP.

Old May 3rd 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cathy Kearns

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
| One significant implication is that very large and very small frames
| have mostly vanished from the scene.

Very small sizes have been a consumer "problem" for years. Customers
shorter
than, say, 5'2 or so, may very well benefit from having 650c wheels
instead
of 700c. But such bikes sit & rot on the floor, because they don't look
"normal" or because some ill-advised friend says you don't want 650c
wheels
because you won't be able to get tires & tubes easily.

So I can find blue tires for my 650c wheels? Where? (Your brother's store
is close....)

I have a women's geometry 5000 trek from a few years back. I remember test
riding a slightly larger 5000, which we determined was too large. And a
different model women's trek the size of my bike. Both had 700c wheels. I
ordered the my bike, and didn't ask if it would have smaller wheels, since
the neither of those I test road had the smaller wheels. Yes, they
certainly look precious, but the bike does fit me.

However, the guys and girls on my rides all have 700c tires. When someone
has an extremely bad day, and goes through their stash of tubes, the others
can loan them tires. If I have an extremely bad day I'm getting a ride
home. (But with the cute little wheels the bike will fit in any car.) My
husband and I needed two different stashes of tubes at home. I have 650c
wheels, and I can tell you, you don't want 650c wheels.