How to get speeding drivers to slow down.

Old May 12th 09, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default How to get speeding drivers to slow down.

"TheMgt" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:
This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding
and you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down
lest it kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and
shout "speed trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to
the limit. Some even thank you!

If I was driving at much of a speed I doubt I'd even notice if a cyclist
across the road and coming the other way gestured at me. I certainly
wouldn't hear them shout anything.

That's how SMIDSY's occur; you are driving and cannot see another road user
even when they are waving at you. There is no way you could pass an advanced
test with such poor observation skills.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 12th 09, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"TheMgt" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:
This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding
and you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down
lest it kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and
shout "speed trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to
the limit. Some even thank you!

If I was driving at much of a speed I doubt I'd even notice if a cyclist
across the road and coming the other way gestured at me. I certainly
wouldn't hear them shout anything.

That's how SMIDSY's occur; you are driving and cannot see another road
user even when they are waving at you. There is no way you could pass an
advanced test with such poor observation skills.

HiVis and primary position, otherwise on two wheels you really are invisible
to a large number of drivers.

Old May 12th 09, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_3_]

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...
This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout
"speed trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the
limit. Some even thank you!

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

There are more important things in life to worry about than velocity and one
mere simplistic factor in road safety.

I, as hard core runner / cyclist, have no problem with fast moving cars. I'd
rather than danger be gone and away than lingering around me.

Old May 12th 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_3_]

"Toom Tabard" wrote in message
On 11 May, 10:45, "Simon Mason" wrote:
This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest
it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout
"speed
trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the limit.
Some
even thank you!

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

What's equally interesting is that, when I'm driving within the limit,
I get drivers coming the other way, flashing their lights to warn me
that there *is* a mobile camera or police check just down the road.
Some drivers apparently don't think they should co-operate with
measures to make the roads safer for them and others.

Toom

Speed enforcement isn't road safety. It's the scape goating of a number of
problems on one simplistic factor.

Old May 12th 09, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_3_]

"Sir Jeremy" wrote in message
On 11 May, 10:45, "Simon Mason" wrote:
This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest
it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout
"speed
trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the limit.
Some
even thank you!

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

How do you know the oncoming car is speeding? Have you fitted a speed
gun to you handlebars? What the **** is it to do with you anyway?

One of my ideas:

All cars to have a series of lights on the front, adding one light per 5
MPH.

Therefore 6 lights = 30, 7 = 35, 8 = 40, 14 = 70 MPH etc.

This would warn road users of their velocity, simplify "enfarcement", make
it easier to judge crossings and junctions, and cause
excessive-speed-dickheads to stick out from more normalised users.

Old May 12th 09, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Light of Aria" wrote in message

There are more important things in life to worry about than velocity and
one mere simplistic factor in road safety.

I, as hard core runner / cyclist, have no problem with fast moving cars.
I'd rather than danger be gone and away than lingering around me.

I am thinking more of other people down the road after they have passed by
rather than my own safety.

Old May 12th 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Light of Aria" wrote in message

One of my ideas:

All cars to have a series of lights on the front, adding one light per 5
MPH.

Therefore 6 lights = 30, 7 = 35, 8 = 40, 14 = 70 MPH etc.

This would warn road users of their velocity, simplify "enfarcement", make
it easier to judge crossings and junctions, and cause
excessive-speed-dickheads to stick out from more normalised users.

Or how about making it impossible to exceed the speed limit?

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...imiters-597820

Old May 12th 09, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keith T

Light of Aria wrote:

One of my ideas:

All cars to have a series of lights on the front, adding one light per 5
MPH.

Therefore 6 lights = 30, 7 = 35, 8 = 40, 14 = 70 MPH etc.

This would warn road users of their velocity, simplify "enfarcement",
make it easier to judge crossings and junctions, and cause
excessive-speed-dickheads to stick out from more normalised users.

I reckon I can get more lights showing than you.
These lights had better be pretty small as 24 of them could take up a
fair bit of space. 18 would be normal for the M1 and 12 for the ****s
that go down my road (30mph).

(No-one mentioned the spike on the steering wheel yet?)

Old May 12th 09, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 12 May, Light of Aria wrote:

There are more important things in life to worry about than velocity

I know. Nym-shifters for one.

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old May 12th 09, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Simon Mason twisted the electrons to say:
Or how about making it impossible to exceed the speed limit?
http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...imiters-597820

Isn't the usual argument at this stage that drivers will just leave their
right foot flat on the floor and stop concentrating on what speed they're
doing?

Of course, isn't the other argument that trying to remember the speed
limit is too complicated, so maybe if they're not having to remember it
they'll spend more time paying attention to the outside world!

Speeding! Unicorn Unicycling 19 September 4th 08 03:14 PM
drivers speeding away nash General 68 February 15th 07 07:13 PM
Another speeding idiot Zog The Undeniable UK 23 January 3rd 05 08:25 PM
Too slow in Italy. How slow? DaveB Australia 2 February 28th 04 10:38 PM
speeding ticket salmoneous General 16 October 18th 03 02:19 AM