Worse even than a typical bicycle thief

Old June 1st 19, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Worse even than a typical bicycle thief

https://ktla.com/2019/05/30/men-arre...icycle-police/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 1st 19, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 8:20:39 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://ktla.com/2019/05/30/men-arre...icycle-police/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Very confusing story. I saw "Ontario" and thought "Canada". Then I read it and saw "shooting" and "attempted murder" and guns. And thought, that does not sound like Canada. That is USA all the way baby. Then I saw the pictures of the perpetrators. And they did not look like Canadians. They were Mexican, Hispanic, Central American. I didn't know Canada had such a population. Then I read "San Bernardino County". And thought, why would Canada have a Mexican named county? Then I did some clicking on the website and found out this Ontario is a suburb of Los Angeles California. America!!!!! Then it all made perfect sense. Mexicans stealing and trying to murder with guns. That is America!!!!!
Old June 2nd 19, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/1/2019 3:36 PM, wrote:
[...]

Gutsy 13 year old and good for him.

Old June 2nd 19, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 9:28:19 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/1/2019 3:36 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have a different opinion. “The 13-year-old owner of the bicycle confronted Chavez outside the store,” the police statement said. Maybe this was done in the heat of the moment and without any thought. OK. But any thinking would have told the kid to just look at the perpetrators, and then run for help. This is LA. A dozen or more people are murdered everyday of the week. The news everyday is filled with murders. A 13 year old would be aware of this. He is not that young. And seeing a bigger, older 18 year old taking his bike, he thinks he can stop him? The kid was lucky the shots fired missed the kid. But if he had not engaged the perpetrators, no shots would have been fired. Much better. And if no shots were fired, and the kid engaged him, then the perpetrator could have punched the kid and smashed his head into the pavement. Not good. The smart thing to do was just watch from a distance, get license plate number, call the cops. Few material possessions are worth possible death. I know Hollywood makes it seem heroic to stand up and be a hero. But I bet the real police statistics show a much, much greater percentage of good Samaritans are injured or killed while helping than any crimes they stop.
Old June 3rd 19, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/2/2019 11:05 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

snip

Perhaps the point is that the 13 year old kid didn't think that
someone would shoot at him over a bicycle. Frankly, neither would I.

Or has the U.S. become so violent that one should expect a bicycle
thief to be armed and dangerous?

"China Warns Its Tourists: Beware Gun Violence in America"
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/02/world/asia/china-travel-warning-america.html

Old June 3rd 19, 11:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 14:37:11 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

Au contraire Pierre! They got my stolen Roubaix back. The officer even
rolled it over to my office where I picked it up. No impound. No
nothing. And they busted the meth-head who stole it.

For something else. I'll et it didn't make the crime stats as that would
have requred pd to write a report on it. Instead they would have used it
to bust the meth head on drug charges.

BTDT and plod doesn't give a flick unless they have a prior interest in
"the perp".
Old June 3rd 19, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 3:08:35 AM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 14:37:11 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

Au contraire Pierre! They got my stolen Roubaix back. The officer even
rolled it over to my office where I picked it up. No impound. No
nothing. And they busted the meth-head who stole it.

For something else. I'll et it didn't make the crime stats as that would
have requred pd to write a report on it. Instead they would have used it
to bust the meth head on drug charges.

BTDT and plod doesn't give a flick unless they have a prior interest in
"the perp".

Not true. Bike Index found the bike on Offer Up, and PPB went and got it. While arresting the guy, they found a back-pack full of computers and cell phones. I think there were drugs, but I don't recall. It started with reporting the theft to Bike Index through the BikePortland.org website. I also filed an on-line report with PPB. Yes, they're not interested in investigating thefts apart from having you file a report on-line. They were very responsive, however, when the bike was located.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 4th 19, 09:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 03 Jun 2019 06:44:10 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I suspect the reason they took action was other factors and recovery of
your bicycle was just collateral, such as a way to approach someone
offering stolen goods and see what else they can get them on.

Over here, bicycles rate low on the totem pole as the PKI they measure
with is $$$$$ and that sounds like items like cell phones and computers
quickly add up to big dollars.

Either that was one stupd thief or plod where you are has powers of entry
that are not available here. Perhapd knowing that a "stolen bicycle" was
being offered, and when that checked out, that gave them the right to
search the rest of his property. Over here, you would not had recieved
your recovered property until months later when they had been tried and
sentenced. Anyway.

When my bicycle was rammed and I reported it to plod, I had to do use
the complaints system about no action to get any effort. It was simply
that I was able to give a description of the driver that turned ot to be
the owners brotyher and a recent parolee, that it turned out hsd stolen
from a mate of the PR plod that was dealig with my complaint, that any
investigation was made. I blieve her returned to free board and
acommodation after that.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 9th 19, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:
[...]

Hey man, we gots lawz her permitting you to Stand Your Ground, which is
what every red-blooded 'Mercan man is supposed to do. Man up and buy
some of that Neugenics stuff.