Vermont cycling

Old September 8th 03, 03:35 AM
Hal Jordan

Default Vermont cycling

My wife and I just came back from a weekend trip to central Vermont.
We biked Rt 106 & 100 going through Woodstock, Reading, Tyson, and
Bridgewater, and also the roads betwen Quechee, Hartland, and South
Woodstock. The weather was gorgeous, and the scenery was just as
spectacular as I imagined it to be. Just some random notes:

- it's probably not a good idea to take road bikes off the main
routes. We found out the hard way that most side roads are unpaved,
and even if they are paved, they sometimes quickly become unpaved.
Oddly enough, most of the maps don't differentiate between
paved/unpaved roads. I guess they assume that most roads are unpaved.
After spending $20 for a Delorme atlas, we found the best map to be
the free "Official Vermont Attraction" state map. It appears to
include the town-to-town paved roads, and accurately showed the
unpaved roads. Wider tires with light treads might have some of the
back roads more enjoyable.

- my usually cycling routes are around the suburbs West and South West
of Boston, and I'm used to seeing lots of cyclists on the road. The
lack of fellow riders made some section seem much more isolated and
remote than they probably are. The next time we go, I'm defintely
going to carry more tools, more tubes, and a pump. We had a mini tool,
two tubes, a patch kit, and four cartridges, and I was worried about
flats the whole time. Probably just psychological.

- we had two incidents of big guys in big trucks yelling stuff at us.
I commute to work, so I'm not completely unaccustomed to getting
harrassed, but it's just much more threatening when you're on a lonely
stretch of road. Sort of put a damper on the blue sky and
hills-and-dales view.

- if you're in the area, stop into the Harpoon Brewery for some great
IPA. We found out that my wife's old-fashioned rat-trap pedals can
double as bottle openers. How come that never comes up in the
Speedplay vs. XXX threads?

Tuyen Tran
Old September 8th 03, 01:26 PM
Steve

"Hal Jordan" wrote in message
My wife and I just came back from a weekend trip to central Vermont.
We biked Rt 106 & 100 going through Woodstock, Reading, Tyson, and
Bridgewater, and also the roads betwen Quechee, Hartland, and South
Woodstock.

- it's probably not a good idea to take road bikes off the main
routes. We found out the hard way that most side roads are unpaved,
and even if they are paved, they sometimes quickly become unpaved.
Oddly enough, most of the maps don't differentiate between
paved/unpaved roads. I guess they assume that most roads are unpaved.
After spending $20 for a Delorme atlas, we found the best map to be
the free "Official Vermont Attraction" state map. It appears to
include the town-to-town paved roads, and accurately showed the
unpaved roads. Wider tires with light treads might have some of the
back roads more enjoyable.

You need to get a copy of the "Vermont Life Bicycle Vermont Map and Guide",
printed by Green Mountain Maps and Guides, 33 Perkins Drive, Essex Junction,
VT., 05452. This map is available at many of the cycling shops around the
state, I got mine at Mountain Cycology in Ludlow.

The map clearly shows which of the "side" roads are unpaved and includes
distances between road intersections, making route planning a cinch.

- if you're in the area, stop into the Harpoon Brewery for some great
IPA. We found out that my wife's old-fashioned rat-trap pedals can
double as bottle openers. How come that never comes up in the
Speedplay vs. XXX threads?

You may want to avoid cycling Rt 4 between Bridgewater Corners and West
Bridgwaters (near Killington) as 1/2 mile west of the Rt 4 / Rt 100A
intersection is the Long Trail Brewery. Should you happen to stop for a
"Taste Test" you might find yourself getting lost on the way home, but
suddenly enjoying that dirt road you just hopped on to.

SB

Old September 8th 03, 07:34 PM
trg

Default Pickup yellers

- we had two incidents of big guys in big trucks yelling stuff at us.
I commute to work, so I'm not completely unaccustomed to getting
harrassed, but it's just much more threatening when you're on a lonely
stretch of road. Sort of put a damper on the blue sky and
hills-and-dales view.

What is it with guys in pickups yelling at bicyclists for no reason? Is this
a uniquely American phenomenen? (The yelling part, not the pickup). The only
time I get yelled at from a car for no reason in Europe is to be offered
encouragement (bad weather, big climb, ...).

And what do the pickup guys say? I never have been able to understand it.
Are these the same people who make announcements in train stations? Are they
just practicing for their day job?

---

Old September 8th 03, 10:04 PM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:34:23 +0200,
, "trg"
wrote:

Are these the same people who make announcements in train stations?

Likely just the same people who shout at their television sets.
--
zk
Old September 8th 03, 11:27 PM
Chalo

"trg" wrote:

What is it with guys in pickups yelling at bicyclists for no reason?

Dogs bark.

Chalo Colina
Old September 9th 03, 12:00 AM
Dick Durbin

"trg" wrote in message ...
What is it with guys in pickups yelling at bicyclists for no reason? Is this
a uniquely American phenomenen? (The yelling part, not the pickup). The only
time I get yelled at from a car for no reason in Europe is to be offered
encouragement (bad weather, big climb, ...).

Interesting. In 30 years of riding I can't recall ever being yelled
at by someone in a pickup truck. Teenagers in Hondas, yes, but no
pickup trucks.

The folks in rural South Georgia and North Florida where I ride
usually wave, using all five fingers, as they pass.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee
Old September 9th 03, 12:50 AM
Patrick O'Grady

In article ,
(Dick Durbin) wrote:

"trg" wrote in message

What is it with guys in pickups yelling at bicyclists for no reason? Is this
a uniquely American phenomenen? (The yelling part, not the pickup). The only
time I get yelled at from a car for no reason in Europe is to be offered
encouragement (bad weather, big climb, ...).

Interesting. In 30 years of riding I can't recall ever being yelled
at by someone in a pickup truck. Teenagers in Hondas, yes, but no
pickup trucks.

The folks in rural South Georgia and North Florida where I ride
usually wave, using all five fingers, as they pass.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

The only times I've been hollered at from pickups has been in towns of
some size, like Denver or Colorado Springs, where the drivers favor little
copyright-violating cartoons of Calvin ****ing on the logos off other
truck-makers. In the boonies of Custer County, where I lived for six years
-- and where people use pickups for various necessary chores, instead of
mindless cruising about with an Olde English 40 between the knees -- I got
waves from pickup pilots while cycling and offers of assistance while
fixing flats. Hell, I have four trucks myownself, and I only yell at
cyclists who won't subscribe to VeloNews or buy worthless O'Grady-label
knickknacks assembled by child slaves in China. Yes, we know who you are.

Cheers,

Adm. John Poindexter
Total Velo Awareness
A Division of Mad Dog Media
http://www.maddogmedia.com
Old September 9th 03, 12:54 AM
di

They are a unique species of animals called "red neck *******s", their
primary habit is in the rural south, but rapidly expanding to all areas.
They are only noisy when in the company of peers, because without an
audience there is no one to show off to. For the most part they are
harmless as they have very small balls when it comes to backing up their
actions. Their favorite gathering places are World Wrestling Federation
events, stock car races, and bait houses. They are easy to identify, they
dress very sloppy, don't shave often or comb their hair, can't seem to
figure how to put a dirty baseball cap on their head straight. Most didn't
get out of grade school because any grade number above 5 was to much for the
to comprehend, beside going to school took to much time away from their
fishing.

I know, I've grown up with them, some are my relatives.

Old September 9th 03, 02:27 AM
Art

You're fortunate. During yesterday's Watermelon Century Ride that ran
from Baldwin, FL (near Jacksonville) to Folkston, GA and back, we had
more than a couple of trucks come by with guys yelling and waving one
finger. To be fair, some folks did honk, wave and smile. Then again,
we rode by a group of guys on their front porch shooting their guns at
something. Luckily, it wasn't us.

Art

Old September 9th 03, 02:55 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:34:23 +0200, trg wrote:
And what do the pickup guys say? I never have been able to understand it.

Personally, while driving my pickup, I'd
probably say "This hill is tough, want a
ride?"
--
Rick Onanian