Gold Rush (or Ti Rush) v. Bacchetta Aero

Old September 25th 03, 01:23 PM
EZ Biker :-\)

Default Gold Rush (or Ti Rush) v. Bacchetta Aero

Thanks Jude! Just what I was going to say... Grin I think the appeal of
Bacchetta's is that they truly are an enthusiast kind of bike. Some how,
looking geeky in that SWB position doesn't really mean a lot; in that I may
look geekey going down the road, but I'm MOVING at a pretty fair geeky clip.
Plus you do earn some respect and perhaps Aw from DFer's, in that they just
can't seem to perceive ever trying to ride in THAT kind of position, keeping
a bike like that up and going reasonable FAST. The Bacchetta's allow you to
give all that you have, in a comfortable way and still give a rider the
feeling of being on a performance diamond frame bike. The Bacchetta line
also offers you a choice of what kind of cycling you want to do. Giro's for
casual type of cycling (Although Shari Bernhard KICKS SOME SERIOUS AS...
with hers) Strada for more moderate type of cycling, Corsa, more performance
type of cycling, being just a tick under the Aero speed wise, but a lot less
$$$ and the Aero, Take No Prisoners; an all out thoroughbred high race /
performance kind of bike.
EZ (Don't like faired bikes anymore) Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Aero
Pilot)

"Jude T. McGloin" wrote in message
Mike,
As EZ knows I had one of the first production Stradas and my AERO

was
one of the first also. I had in the past experimented with fairing vrs no
fairing and it varied from bike to bike.
Why all the interest in the Bacchettas? Their different and

brought
to you by a designer that had a hand in the V-REX and the Barcroft

designs.
Having experience with both I will say that a properly set up Strada or
Corsa out performs (speed) either of these fine bents. However, I am
comparing different apples due to the front wheel difference. Comparing a
Giro to a V-REX or Barcroft Dakota is a fair comparison. IMO the Giro is a
superior ride due to its longer than most SWB wheelbase. Its rock solid at
40+ mph downhills. I installed a Pantour on my V-REX to smooth out the
jitters on fast downhills.
To date the highest downhill speed I have attained on the AERO is

44.4
MPH and it, like the Giro rock solid.
IMO the key to the Bacchetta is its wheelbase, additionally on the
highracers its the aerodynamic advantage of the high BB among other

things.
The AERO when properly set up presents a very small profile to the wind

thus
the knife feel that EZ espouches.
Post Isabel ride was 55 mile Saturday, not all that much debris to
dodge.

--
Jude....///Bacchetta AERO
St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland
"Mike" wrote in message
om...
"EZ Biker :-\)" wrote in message

(IMHO) In head winds, it's clearly NO CONTEST! The Aero knifes through

the
wind, while the Faired GRR Ti, is significantly taxed and slower, due

the
wind resistance hitting the fairing. (And all these years I thought a
fairing was suppose to make you more aerodynamically fluid flow

through
head
winds. NOT TRUE, in my personal experience) It's like a large hand,

pressing
on your fairing, holding you back. A body sock might make a

difference;

EZ, are you sure the fairing isn't on backwards!! Just kidding. Good
luck with the aero. But I'm wondering why everyone is making such a
fuss over the Bacchetta bikes. It seems to me that the Barcroft bikes
appear to be just as good a design if not better. I don't ride either
one so I quess shouldn't comment. Anyone care to comment?

Mike

Old September 25th 03, 01:53 PM
Robert Siegel

Don't have an Aero but I had the same experience going from a P-38 Xt to a
Ti Rush.
"Andy" wrote in message
Gator Bob,

Did you have the same experience with the Ti Rush and the Aero as EZ?

Andy

"Robert Siegel" wrote in message
Rarely in my experience does a two recumbent owner ride his/her two
different bikes on an equal time basis.
Long term, only one wins out and gets ridden.

Sorry EZ, I told you so ....
-))

Gator Bob Siegel

"EZ Biker :-)" wrote

Hello Andy, I'm one of THOSE that has both a GRR Ti and Aero. (Owned a
Rotator Pursuit Ti too) Both are wonderful bikes

....I honestly prefer my Aero over my GRR Ti, for the
sheer less weight factor, better speed

Old September 25th 03, 06:39 PM
mike s

"EZ Biker :-\)" wrote in message news:o7Bcb.574519$Ho3.106642@sccrnsc03...
Thanks Jude! Just what I was going to say... Grin I think the appeal of
Bacchetta's is that they truly are an enthusiast kind of bike.

Disclaimer: My opinion only. I think Bacchettas are still in their
honeymoon phase. Concluding their second year they are still the new
kid on the block as concerns performance oriented recumbents. More
and more you see them turning up used. When they first came out the
impression was they were the panacea for all that ails you. I have
never felt comfortable on the bike. It just doesn't fit me well. On
the other hand I can't say enough good things about the Barcroft
Virginia, especially with the carbon fiber seat (I had adapted, now
the company offers them). Not only is performance based in large part
on the engine, but the desirability of the bike is also determined by
how the engine feels riding it. That's why we have so many options.
No question the high racers are fast. But they tend to be less
manuverable at slower speeds than their 26/20 cousins. I think you
could put the Volaes, Bacchettas, Barcrofts (to mention three) into a
category and whichever you picked would be a fine bicycle. My
Virginia is fast, stable, manuverable and comfortable. It provides me
the level of comfort and performance that the high racers can't
provide for me. I would take it over a high racer in a heartbeat.
Others will have a different opinion. Individual preference rules.
There is no universal solution. Upcoming might be a nice compromise,
Bacchetta's titanium 26/20 model. That tends to narrow the design gap
between the two styles. Sigh, another choice.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo

Barcroft Virginia
Barcroft Columbia
RANS Rocket
Old September 26th 03, 12:36 AM
Andy

Dear Gator Bob,

Interesting. Years ago (1997?) I bought a P-38 as I thought it would be
better than my Tour Easy. Every day for a season, I rode a different bike
until fall. By then I could not get myself to ride the P-38 any longer, I
just liked riding the TE much better. (Of course, I know someone who likes
his P-38 much better than his Gold Rush.) What was your experience changing
from the P-38 to the Ti Rush.

Old September 26th 03, 01:47 AM
Robert Siegel

Same as yours ... but I still miss the P-38's speed and feeling of
lightness, especially up hills. It provided an excellent "fit" for my body.
However, I found it impossible to switch back and forth from one to the
other and concluded the GRR design was "best" for me. I still miss the P-38
though.

Old September 26th 03, 05:35 AM
EZ Biker :-\)

Good opinion Mike, although I'm not seeing THAT many used Bacchetta's
(Except perhaps Stradas) and haven't seen any used Aero's for sale, yet.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Aero Pilot)

"mike s" wrote in message
m...

news:o7Bcb.574519$Ho3.106642@sccrnsc03... Concluding their second year

Old September 26th 03, 06:34 PM
harryo

"EZ Biker :-\)" wrote in message .net...
Good opinion Mike, although I'm not seeing THAT many used Bacchetta's
(Except perhaps Stradas) and haven't seen any used Aero's for sale, yet.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Aero Pilot)

I agree with Mike. I have been a bit surprised about the amount of
delirium
about the Bacchetta bikes, particularly the big wheeled models, and
more particularly, the Aero After all, Bacchetta was not the first
to produce big wheeled bents. Don't misunderstand me. I think the
Bacchetta high racers are excellent bikes and I might own one myself,
in the future. Bacchetta has pushed the envelope of design and
performance and this, coupled with the reputation of the people
involved with the company, probably have a lot to do with the
Bacchetta frenzy.

Stradas do account for most of the used Bacchettas that I have seen
offered, along with a few Giros. I haven't seen any used Aeros but
when someone shells out almost $4000 for a bike, I imagine they will
keep it for a while.

Harry Jiles
Old September 26th 03, 10:27 PM
PJ

(harryo) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I think the amount and frequency of used recumbents appearing on the
market to a great degree is a funciton of how many of them there are
out there. Initially it was very difficult to find a used Bacchetta
but because there numbers and sales are growing it is natural to see
some go back on the used market. This is not a reflection of problems
with the bike but more a reflection of their grwoing volume and
acceptance.

I also think you will also find that the reason that you are seeing
some of the Bacchettas coming on the market is because the owners are
upgrading to Aeros and I can cite several examples of that happening.
As a matter of fact if I were to sell my Strada/Corsa it would only be
to upgrade to an Aero,which I have thought about more than once.

Pat McShane
Old September 26th 03, 10:36 PM
Don

Please note that as a member of the Bacchetta Yahoo group, I know some
of the Stradas and Corsas (and probably some Giros) were sold to make
room and $$$$ for Aeros. Lots of Bacchetta riders were so pleased
they decided to upgrade. Not unlike TE/GRR riders selling to finance
a Ti-Rush. Don't put a lot of significance on bikes being sold. And
remember, some people are never happy and have to keep moving on.
They are also not the perfect bike for everyone so there will always
be some selling. Don

Old September 27th 03, 03:36 AM
harryo

Originally posted by Pj [I think the amount and frequency of used
recumbents appearing on the market to a great degree is a funciton of
how many of them there are out there. Initially it was very difficult to
find a used Bacchetta but because there numbers and sales are growing it
is natural to see some go back on the used market. This is not a
reflection of problems with the bike but more a reflection of their
grwoing volume and acceptance.]

Agreed, I never said, nor did I imply that it was a reflection of
problems.

[I also think you will also find that the reason that you are seeing
some of the Bacchettas coming on the market is because the owners are
upgrading to Aeros and I can cite several examples of that happening. As
a matter of fact if I were to sell my Strada/Corsa it would only be to
upgrade to an Aero,which I have thought about more than once.]

I'm sure this id the case for some but it is also quite likely that some
are sold for other reasons as well.

Harry