One can only wonder...

Old February 1st 05, 03:31 PM
Arne

Default One can only wonder...

I visit here rarely. I read in disbelief the notes being posted. This news
group used to be a decent source of information. It has now become a
battleground of hate-mongers.

I notice many of the former intelligent sources have left. Now, it mostly
contains lowest common denominator types, slopping around in their personal
offal....

Any new visitor would probably read the posts wondering if these
were the nice recumbent riders they have been hearing about.. they would be
sorely disappointed.

You have become a shameless, bitter bunch.
..
Arne, USA
..

Old February 1st 05, 06:27 PM
Freewheeling

Arne:

There's a division in the country, and it may be unrealistic to expect it
not to show up in a Usenet group like this. However, it seems to be
confined to certain threads that are clearly off topic. I'm open to keeping
it off entirely, but suspect that the attempt would be like keeping slavery
out of the conversation in the 1860s. It'd work for awhile, but would
eventually begin to strike people as somewhat unnatural. As for "bitter,"
I'm bitter that we now have totalitarian terrorism and that, through people
like Michael Moore, they've found a few cuts or skin breaks to insinuate a
bit of their infection into our culture... but those are the same weaknesses
that the pro-slavery folks exploited in that earlier episode, and that the
Nazis exploited in 1930s France. We've got a flaw. Maybe it's partly me.
Hopefully it's not a fatal one.

Anyway, this weekend was a big victory for the good guys. Ultimately I hope
you're well, and that the worst these events do to you is drive you to a
little drink now and then. Let me know if you're in the area and we can
have a falafel at the Mediterranean Bakery and Cafe in Alexandria.

--
--Scott
"Arne" wrote in message
I visit here rarely. I read in disbelief the notes being posted. This news
group used to be a decent source of information. It has now become a
battleground of hate-mongers.

I notice many of the former intelligent sources have left. Now, it mostly
contains lowest common denominator types, slopping around in their
personal
offal....

Any new visitor would probably read the posts wondering if these
were the nice recumbent riders they have been hearing about.. they would
be
sorely disappointed.

You have become a shameless, bitter bunch.
.
Arne, USA
.

Old February 1st 05, 07:09 PM
Edward Dolan

"Arne" wrote in message
I visit here rarely. I read in disbelief the notes being posted. This news
group used to be a decent source of information. It has now become a
battleground of hate-mongers.

I notice many of the former intelligent sources have left. Now, it mostly
contains lowest common denominator types, slopping around in their
personal
offal....

Any new visitor would probably read the posts wondering if these
were the nice recumbent riders they have been hearing about.. they would
be
sorely disappointed.

You have become a shameless, bitter bunch.
.
Arne, USA

Arne, if you want recumbent bicycle information go to a moderated forum
where dip****s like Ed Gin are excluded. Another good source is the Internet
itself. You should also be subscribing to RCN. All newsgroups are worthless
for news and information. They are full of idiots and scoundrels. Since that
is the case, I have decided to join them. You should leave this group
permanently if you value your sanity.

Since no one on this group gives a damn about what Ed Gin is doing, it will
be my pleasure to destroy this group as best I can. Then it will be good
riddance to the lot of us. Mr. Sherman will have to find another group to be
aloof in.

My best advice to all - go to the BROL forum for heaven's sakes!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old February 1st 05, 07:30 PM
Edward Dolan

"Freewheeling" wrote in message
Arne:

There's a division in the country, and it may be unrealistic to expect it
not to show up in a Usenet group like this. However, it seems to be
confined to certain threads that are clearly off topic. ...

Scott, it was not off topic posts that set this thing off. It was this damn
fool idiot Ed Gin with his obnoxious spam interleaved on every post that is
wholly responsible for the present predicament. We can have off topic to our
heart's content provided we behave like gentlemen, but a single asshole by
the name of Ed Gin is totally responsible for what is presently transpiring.

I did take note that you were one of the few who objected to his spam, but
you were virtually the only one. Mr. Sherman was out to lunch as usual like
all g.d. liberals are. Do not confuse off topic with the inane, insane spam
by Ed Gin. They are two separate things entirely.

Old February 1st 05, 09:37 PM
Freewheeling

Sorry, I thought Arne was talking about the off topic stuff. I've just
killfiled all of Ed Gin's (or whoever's) spam. I don't even see it until he
comes up with a new pseudonym, which takes about 10 seconds to kill.

Someone (whom I won't name) a long time ago on the HPV Listserve told me
that Ed Gin was thought to sometimes post under an assumed name in order to
stir up trouble against one of his antagonists, but that he won't do it
under his own name because he's "politik." This was someone who's integrity
is beyond reproach, which doesn't mean that he necessarily knows anything
about Ed Gin's posting habits. He was clear he was simply repeating what
others had told him. For my part, I've never had a problem with Ed Gin, and
he posted some interesting figures awhile ago about tire rolling resistance
tests. But the stuff about the noCom is just plain whacky. I mean, even if
it's fast... it's just a damn bicycle. (Not that you should take me
seriously about the "damn bicycle" sentiment.)

--
--Scott

Old February 1st 05, 09:49 PM
Freewheeling

Ed:

Trolls really can't be defeated on usenet. They have the upper hand so the
way to deal with them is with some humor. (Unlike this noCom spamming, ARBR
has been attacked by real trolls, back in 2000 I think. This is nuthin'.)
They sort of live to get a rise out of you, so reacting just gratifies them.
You really don't need to post autoresponses to everything they post, because
I don't even see 95% of them. I just see your responses all over the place.
OK we get it. The noCom spammer is Ed Gin, of the Chicago-area Ed Gins. At
least, Ed Gin hasn't shown up to deny it, so it *must* be true. You can
relax a bit, huh?

Old February 1st 05, 11:35 PM
Tom Sherman

Freewheeling wrote:

Arne:

There's a division in the country, and it may be unrealistic to expect it
not to show up in a Usenet group like this. However, it seems to be
confined to certain threads that are clearly off topic. I'm open to keeping
it off entirely...

So why do you bring it up in this thread? Are you deliberately trying to
annoy those who disagree with you? If you think you will change
someone's opinion, you have a misconception of Usenet psychology. Just
ask Mikey V how many people he has turned against mountain biking. Give
it a rest.

, but suspect that the attempt would be like keeping slavery
out of the conversation in the 1860s. It'd work for awhile, but would
eventually begin to strike people as somewhat unnatural. As for "bitter,"
I'm bitter that we now have totalitarian terrorism and that, through people
like Michael Moore, they've found a few cuts or skin breaks to insinuate a
bit of their infection into our culture... but those are the same weaknesses
that the pro-slavery folks exploited in that earlier episode, and that the
Nazis exploited in 1930s France. We've got a flaw. Maybe it's partly me.
Hopefully it's not a fatal one.

Anyway, this weekend was a big victory for the good guys....

[ Y Y AA W W W N N ]
[ Y Y A A W W W NN N ]
[ Y Y A A W W W W N N N ]
[ Y AAAAAAAA W W W W N N N ]
[ Y A A W W W W N NN ]
[ Y A A W W N N ]

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 1st 05, 11:36 PM
Arne

Scott, I still remember that falafel.... fond memories.... And, I certainly
hope to get to DC again.
..
Arne, USA
..

Old February 1st 05, 11:44 PM
Edward Dolan

"Freewheeling" wrote in message
Ed:

Trolls really can't be defeated on usenet. They have the upper hand so
the way to deal with them is with some humor. (Unlike this noCom
spamming, ARBR has been attacked by real trolls, back in 2000 I think.
This is nuthin'.) They sort of live to get a rise out of you, so reacting
just gratifies them. You really don't need to post autoresponses to
everything they post, because I don't even see 95% of them. I just see
your responses all over the place. OK we get it. The noCom spammer is Ed
Gin, of the Chicago-area Ed Gins. At least, Ed Gin hasn't shown up to
deny it, so it *must* be true. You can relax a bit, huh?

Scott, I am relaxed and I have no intention of responding to his every
idiocy. However, I will post new messages from time to time telling the
world what I think of him in no uncertain words. Assholes like him should
not be allowed to pass without objection. However, you make a good point for
a kill file I must admit. I may resort to it myself in this very special
case.

What is an autoresponse?

Old February 1st 05, 11:47 PM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

Since no one on this group gives a damn about what Ed Gin is doing, it will
be my pleasure to destroy this group as best I can. Then it will be good
riddance to the lot of us. Mr. Sherman will have to find another group to be
aloof in....

Through October 31, 2004, I was in 5th place overall for the year on
rec.bicycles.tech, a mere 5 posts behind Jobst Brandt. See
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/b1f29c9fa9dfe14f?dmode=source.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth