uni design from vintage "kangaroo bicycle"

Old November 7th 03, 07:31 PM
Cokerhead

Default uni design from vintage "kangaroo bicycle"

I got this idea after seeing an old bicycle video. It seems there was
an intermediate step between the high wheeler and the early safety
bicycle. It was the kangaroo bicycle. The best illustration I could
find on the net is: http://www.quido.cz/objevy/kolo.a.htm

I have seen a picture of a unicycle designed like this, but with the
pedals on top so a child could ride a large big wheel.

What I would like to do is build a Coker like a kangaroo bicycle and
gear it up slightly. I'm thinking a flat blade design like that of a
Schwinn/Semcycle "deluxe" with the frame extending through the center
of the wheel to the pedals below.

I have long legs, so I think there should be enough room to build two
short chains and small enough sprockets to still have some seatpost on
top.

I want to use as much existing cycling parts as possible. It seems to
me the main challenge in the design would be how to fit the cranks to
the frame in a secure way and to keep both of the short chains tight
enough so there isn't a lot of slop or independence of the left and
right side. And a way to put the chains on and slide them up to
tighten?

I would also have to figure out how aggressively to gear it. I think
the size and mass of the Coker wheel would be fine at a greater speed.
This would also reduce my profile by bringing me closer to the wheel.
The flip side of that would be that I would have less time to get my
feet under me in an UPD.

I'm sure this has already been done with smaller wheels and perhaps part
of the problem was with the bumps in the road at high speeds. I would
like to get feedback from anyone, esp. someone who has tried anything
close to this.

-Mark

--
Cokerhead
Cokerhead's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/136

Old November 8th 03, 06:42 AM
john_childs

Here's a 6 foot shoe uni made by Sem that has a short double chain
drive. But the drive system is upside down from what you want.

| Attachment filename: 6footshoeuni1.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/171487|

john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old November 8th 03, 06:46 AM
john_childs

And here is the big wheel version with a short double chain drive. But
again, the drive system is upside down from what you want.

| Attachment filename: bigwheelwithchain.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/171488|

Old November 8th 03, 06:57 AM
john_childs

Cokerhead wrote:
*What I would like to do is build a Coker like a kangaroo bicycle and
gear it up slightly. I'm thinking a flat blade design like that of a
Schwinn/Semcycle "deluxe" with the frame extending through the center
of the wheel to the pedals below.
*

I think a flat blade frame design is going to be too flexy. With the
cranks down on a cantilever arm with a flat blade frame it's going to
get very flexy down where the cranks are. There can be a lot of force
put on the cranks that the cantilever arm is going to have to support.
I think ovalised or round tubing will be much better than a flat blade
design for handling the pedaling forces with a minimal amount of flex.

You should contact Sem or Tom Miller (The Unicycle Factory) and see if
they have any experience with that kangaroo bike style chain system.