Slayin' it

Old June 5th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default Slayin' it

On Jun 5, 4:30*pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:02 pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:14 am, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
Amit Ghosh wrote:
but if wiggins - who rides 4:15 pursuits - is an also ran in GTs and
classics, how is taylor phinney going to win those races ?
One of your base assumptions seems to be that Phinney has
reached his physical peak at age 18. If that is true then
you are correct, his career is not likely to exceed that
of Wiggins.
Of course it's true. *Have you ever seen a rider improve through their
20's? *Of course not.
Well, I'm pretty sure if you took the teenager that did the
pursuit in the Olympics and dropped him into a grand tour
he'd be total lunchmeat. So Amit and I are on the same page
there.

That's not a page.
If they dropped any 18 year old in a grand tour they'd be lunchmeat.
Kind of like saying, "Well, he can't flap his arms and fly!"
You know, meaningless.

Your sarcasm detector needs tuning. Please try to get that taken
care of before July.

I like my sarcasm bloody and dripping, thanks.

Old June 5th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Your sarcasm detector needs tuning. Please try to get that taken care of
before July.

I need a new one, my old one exploded due to rbr overexposure.

Maybe I'll get a new USB version:
http://www.sarcasmdetector.com/product.html

Or use the old fashioned one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4566319.stm
Old June 6th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

Donald Munro wrote:
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni. wrote:
BTW, Eddy Merckx was a relatively big guy too.

And Axel was unlucky Chungian regression to the mean occurred.

On average, the progeny of two really bad cyclists will be better than their
parents, but still worse than average.

That's me.

Old June 6th 09, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 5, 12:13*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On Jun 5, 8:46*am, RicodJour wrote:

On Jun 5, 11:14*am, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

Amit Ghosh wrote:

but if wiggins - who rides 4:15 pursuits - is an also ran in GTs and
classics, how is taylor phinney going to win those races ?

One of your base assumptions seems to be that Phinney has
reached his physical peak at age 18. If that is true then
you are correct, his career is not likely to exceed that
of Wiggins.

Of course it's true. *Have you ever seen a rider improve through their
20's? *Of course not.

Dumbass -

Not only does it apply to bike racing, it applies to everything.
Everyone maxes out their abilities when they're 18.

Wanking, for instance.

Flaw in my argument there - why isn't everybody
in RBR 18, then? Perhaps RBR is not as big a wankfest
as it could be, because we're not 18. Scary, that.

Ben
Old June 6th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
Amit Ghosh wrote:

On Jun 4, 3:30Â*pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
wrote:
On Jun 4, 8:51Â*am, Amit Ghosh wrote:

On Jun 4, 1:39Â*am, RicodJour wrote:

No doubt about it, Bobridge will go places - and fast! Â*But I was
talking to Amit. Â*When Amit gets up to a dozen 18 year olds who are as
good as Phinney, let me know. Â*Have him ask for Mr. Blue - that's what
color I'll have turned holding my breath and waiting for his list.

dumbass,

i can't name names since all the coverage is on phinney, but by good i
mean winning in the protour. if you look back in this newsgroup 5 yrs
ago you won't see any mention of keruzinger, andy schleck, boasson-
hagen (some of the best u-26 protour riders). he might be the best 18
yr old pursuiter, but it seems people are expecting a lot from him.

i might have some names if a looked at the results from italy and
belgium and spain and across disciplines, especially mtn. biking.

these hockey player guys like phinney don't do as well when they move
up to the protour level where the climbs are more important and the
races are longer.
remember mark scanlon ? a big powerful guy like backstedt only had a
handful of races he could expect to be competitive in. it will be hard
for TP to equal cancellara (the one star I can think of that has TP's
characteristics).

since it's no longer the 90s we will never see 170+lb. riders in the
front group of an alpine stage or in the LBL finale.

kunich is right about the height issue. wiggins (6'3") was super thin
for the giro at 70 kg, but he still gives up 5-10kg to the best
climbers.

Dumbass -

That's because Wiggins doesn't have enough wattage.

Indurain also was 6'3". Unlike Wiggins, he had the watts.

dumbass,

i know indurain is the mahatma of cycling, but he was doped. 500+W
thresholds are absurd. there will not be 170+ lb. riders in the front
group in mtn. stages as long as there is hct monitoring.

Does the fact that you're on Kunich's side tell you something?

i'm not afraid to have my own opinion, even if it isn't the popular
one.

Do not sell yourself short. Your opinion is very popular.

--
Michael Press
Old June 6th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,

On Jun 4, 10:58Â*pm, Amit Ghosh wrote:

Indurain also was 6'3". Unlike Wiggins, he had the watts.

dumbass,

i know indurain is the mahatma of cycling, but he was doped. 500+W
thresholds are absurd. there will not be 170+ lb. riders in the front
group in mtn. stages as long as there is hct monitoring.

Dumbass -

He's still proof that tall guys can have a good power to weight ratio.
For instance, he could still climb as well as Pantani and Pantani was
doped.

You're getting into Lafferty Logic, ie. tall guys being able to climb
is proof of doping. It's bull****. The reason we don't see many 6'3"
guys being able to climb at that level is there aren't that many 6'3"
racers to start with. That's getting into the part of the bell curve
where less than 1% of the general population is that tall or taller.
If they maintain proportionality, then only 1% of the climbers will be
of that height.

Anyway they go into rowing and other sports.

--
Michael Press
Old June 6th 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Your sarcasm detector needs tuning. Please try to get that taken care of
before July.

I need a new one, my old one exploded due to rbr overexposure.

Maybe I'll get a new USB version:
http://www.sarcasmdetector.com/product.html

Or use the old fashioned one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4566319.stm

Here is one of their test stories. Is it a difficult one?

"Joe came to work, and instead of beginning to work, he
sat down to rest. His boss noticed and said to Joe 'don't
work too hard.'"

Seems kind of lame.

"Joe came to work, and instead of beginning to work, he
sat down to rest. His boss noticed and said 'Joe, you
do not look so good. Maybe you should go home and have a
nice lie-down.'"

--
Michael Press