WC Cyclocross 2004 picks

Old January 24th 04, 10:04 PM
richard sachs

Default WC Cyclocross 2004 picks

(jerry) wrote:
"I am not trying to blow JP's horn, he can do that himself. He has
had alot of bad luck (seven broken derailleur hangers this season)..."

mon dieu!!!!!!!!
e-RICHIE
Old January 25th 04, 05:49 AM
Dan Connelly

Tom Kunich wrote:
Guerciottis are extremely light in order to be competitive in a modern
European CX. Broken hangers are all part of super light construction. Though
I have to agree with Henry that by the third time you'd stop tripping over
the barriers and landing on the bike.

If you're breaking frames, that costs a lot more UCI points than shaving a
pound or so off the frame gains over the course of a season, I suspect, even
in CX, where weight matters (in principle) even more than in road racing.

Dan

Old January 25th 04, 04:36 PM
Wade Summers

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
t...

Dumbass -

The first one is bad luck. So is the 2nd.

The 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th are stupidity.

Use a stronger hanger. If there isn't one commercially available, then

machine
a stronger one. Vertical mills are capable of more than just mitering

tubes.

Or, even easier - weld on some gussets.

People might not like the messenger but this sounds about right. Break 1 or
2 derailleur hangers, OK bad luck. To keep using the same ones after two
break doesn't seem like the right course of action.

Wade

Old January 25th 04, 05:36 PM
Wayne

"How can you say the ITALIAN cross scene looks promising,"

I didn't, I said Franzoi looks promising.

"but that the US does not?"

JP has found his level, it's between about 15th and 25th (on a good
day) when all the top crossers are there. I highly doubt he's going
to have a big jump in ability all of a sudden and be riding at the
front of big races.

All the other riders you name only have good results vs. other
Americans, not at international competitions. In fact their
international results have not been particularly good. Kelly and
Johnson were the last guys that looked like they might have a future
as top crossers.

As Kenny points out the French and Czechs look like they are moving up
in the world of cross (while the Dutch seem to be on the downswing).
It may be that USA cycling has taken steps to up the level of cross,
only future results will prove it was effective or not.
Old January 25th 04, 07:02 PM
jerry

The french have some future with Gadret, Lefebvre and Mourey. I also
count on Pospisil, Dlask and Jezek for a top-10 place.

Replying here, but comment is to thread -

Number one, Gucci does not make a steel hanger for that bike. JP is
not in a position to have some hangers made up on a vertical mill,
please. That is a dumbass thing to suggest. Same as welding on
gussets? How are you going to weld on a gusset to an aluminum der.
hanger? He has been bitching about it, but beyond having custom parts
machined on a CNC or something (ever actually LOOKED at a bolt on der.
hanger before?) his hands are tied.

Number 2, Levebre is banned from racing for France for repeated drup
related charges, I believe. That is why he is never on the WC or
Worlds teams, or ever races in France (think he is banned). That and
the stupid helmet.

Old January 25th 04, 07:54 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"jerry" wrote in message
om...

The french have some future with Gadret, Lefebvre and Mourey. I also
count on Pospisil, Dlask and Jezek for a top-10 place.

Replying here, but comment is to thread -

Number one, Gucci does not make a steel hanger for that bike. JP is
not in a position to have some hangers made up on a vertical mill,
please. That is a dumbass thing to suggest. Same as welding on
gussets? How are you going to weld on a gusset to an aluminum der.
hanger? He has been bitching about it, but beyond having custom parts
machined on a CNC or something (ever actually LOOKED at a bolt on der.
hanger before?) his hands are tied.

Dumbass -

You are ignorant.

Don't need a CNC - any old hand operated mill will do. I have a 1958
Bridgeport, it's worth maybe $2000, less than the cost of a bike.

Any bike builder has one of those - that's what they miter the tubes with.