Black pro riders?

Old April 24th 04, 04:35 AM
Sonarrat

Default Black pro riders?

No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are there
any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not going
to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

-Sonarrat.

Old April 24th 04, 05:15 AM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 04/23/2004 09:35 PM, in article ,
"Sonarrat" wrote:

No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are there
any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not going
to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Eric Saunders
Rahsaan Bahati

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

A Spaniard with a dark tan, or a Colombian.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old April 24th 04, 05:41 AM
Richard Adams

Sonarrat wrote:
No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are there
any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not going
to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

-Sonarrat.

Can't think of any myself, there have been a few of note in the US, but
it's possibly just a situation waiting for the "Tiger Woods of Cycling"
to arrive. I doubt anyone intellect would bar the next Nelson Vails.

Old April 24th 04, 12:47 PM
hold my beer and watch this...

No man, you're not being racist.

Neither are these guys:
http://www.local10.com/news/3030870/detail.html

Old April 24th 04, 06:21 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Sonarrat wrote:

No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are there
any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not going
to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

-Sonarrat.

How is that a racist question?
Wouldn't it be great if some of the East Africans that regularly dominate
all big distance footraces got some bikes?

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY

Old April 24th 04, 08:13 PM
Marlene Blanshay

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in message

Sonarrat wrote:

No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are

there
any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not

going
to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

-Sonarrat.

Mederic Clain of Cofidis appears to be of mixed parentage. His name suggests
he or his parents are from the Reunions, where nearly everyone is of mixed
parentage! The racial makeup there is white, black, brown, indian, asian.

Old April 24th 04, 10:13 PM
Steven Bornfeld

Sonarrat wrote:

No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are

there

any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not

going

to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

-Sonarrat.

Mederic Clain of Cofidis appears to be of mixed parentage. His name suggests
he or his parents are from the Reunions, where nearly everyone is of mixed
parentage! The racial makeup there is white, black, brown, indian, asian.

Reunions? No wonder I flunked geography.

Steve

Old April 25th 04, 12:07 AM
Sonarrat

In article ,

Sonarrat wrote:

No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are there
any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not going
to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

-Sonarrat.

How is that a racist question?

It's a racist question because it distinguishes between white and black
people. Doesn't mean it's racially offensive (though it could spur
offensive comments), but it is racist.

Wouldn't it be great if some of the East Africans that regularly dominate
all big distance footraces got some bikes?

That's more or less what I was thinking... with as many track stars as
Africa has. I would call it something of a crime that the only African
Div. II team, Barloworld, should consist mostly of Italians...

-Sonarrat.
Old April 25th 04, 01:41 AM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 04/24/2004 05:07 PM, in article
, "Sonarrat"

In article ,

Sonarrat wrote:

No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are there
any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not going
to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

-Sonarrat.

How is that a racist question?

It's a racist question because it distinguishes between white and black
people. Doesn't mean it's racially offensive (though it could spur
offensive comments), but it is racist.

It's a racial question, not a racist question.

ra·cial*adj. 1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of race or races.
2. Arising from or based on differences among human racial groups: racial
conflict; racial discrimination.

rac·ist adj. 1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the belief that race
accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular
race is superior to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Old April 25th 04, 03:43 AM
Didier A. Depireux

Richard Adams wrote:

Can't think of any myself, there have been a few of note in the US, but
it's possibly just a situation waiting for the "Tiger Woods of Cycling"
to arrive.

He's arrived and gone. Surely Major Taylor qualifies, even if it was a long
time ago.

How about them Chinese? With about a billion bikes in China, surely they
must have a few good riders who could win the TdF (TIOOYK). What's up with
that?

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux