Black pro riders?

Old April 25th 04, 03:48 AM
Howard Kveck

Default Black pro riders?

In article ,
"hold my beer and watch this..." wrote:

No man, you're not being racist.

Neither are these guys:
http://www.local10.com/news/3030870/detail.html

http://www.nationallampoon.com/modst...ass/badass.asp

--
tanx,
Howard

Q: Can we call it a quagmire yet?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old April 25th 04, 04:48 AM
Richard Adams

Didier A. Depireux wrote:
Richard Adams wrote:

Can't think of any myself, there have been a few of note in the US, but
it's possibly just a situation waiting for the "Tiger Woods of Cycling"
to arrive.

He's arrived and gone. Surely Major Taylor qualifies, even if it was a long
time ago.

How about them Chinese? With about a billion bikes in China, surely they
must have a few good riders who could win the TdF (TIOOYK). What's up with
that?

Didier

The sure produced a decent basketball player. The shame is with
bicycles being the predominent mode of transportation in China, they
officials are actually banning them, to make way for CARS. ****.

Old April 25th 04, 05:53 AM
Sonarrat

in article , Steven L. Sheffield at
wrote on 4/24/04 5:41 PM:

On 04/24/2004 05:07 PM, in article
, "Sonarrat"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:

Sonarrat wrote:

No intention to be racist here, though it is a racist question. Are there
any black riders in the pro peloton today? It seems to me that even the
African teams have riders of Caucasian descent exclusively. (I'm not going
to ask why there aren't any/more, because I don't want the RBR trolls'
answer to that.)

Also, who is this on the right?
http://ume.sakura.ne.jp/~kus/galleria/1993/foto/41.jpg

-Sonarrat.

How is that a racist question?

It's a racist question because it distinguishes between white and black
people. Doesn't mean it's racially offensive (though it could spur
offensive comments), but it is racist.

It's a racial question, not a racist question.

ra·cial*adj. 1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of race or races.
2. Arising from or based on differences among human racial groups: racial
conflict; racial discrimination.

rac·ist adj. 1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the belief that race
accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular
race is superior to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

The fact that the second definition of each word is the same speaks to how
thin the line is. And definitions vary widely... I am calling it racist to
be on the safe side and to put out a warning flag.

-Sonarrat.

Old April 25th 04, 11:26 PM
stabile

"Sonarrat" wrote in message

That's more or less what I was thinking... with as many track stars as
Africa has. I would call it something of a crime that the only African
Div. II team, Barloworld, should consist mostly of Italians...

Italians aren't black?

I like Lance very, very much!

Tony

Sonarrat.

Old April 26th 04, 12:25 AM
erik saunders

rony martias is from guadaloupe and he is in brioches la boulangere... his best
friend yoanne gene who is also black will probably join him next year...

clain is brown too, yeah... we were down for the brown back in the day...
Old April 26th 04, 12:48 AM
Richard Adams

Howard Kveck wrote:

In article ,
"hold my beer and watch this..." wrote:

No man, you're not being racist.

Neither are these guys:
http://www.local10.com/news/3030870/detail.html

http://www.nationallampoon.com/modst...ass/badass.asp

Man. I can still remember when National Lampoon was funny. I'm old and
showing my age.

The shame is, I picked up a MAD a few months ago just to see what's in
them today. I'd say they're killing the magazine.

Old April 26th 04, 01:19 AM
Tom Kunich

"Richard Adams" wrote in message
Howard Kveck wrote:

In article ,
"hold my beer and watch this..." wrote:

No man, you're not being racist.

Neither are these guys:
http://www.local10.com/news/3030870/detail.html

http://www.nationallampoon.com/modst...ass/badass.asp

Man. I can still remember when National Lampoon was funny. I'm old and
showing my age.

The shame is, I picked up a MAD a few months ago just to see what's in
them today. I'd say they're killing the magazine.

No amount of copying from past issues will make the modern Mad anything like
the original when they believed that you got humor from intelligent writers.

Old April 26th 04, 01:31 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Richard Adams wrote:

Howard Kveck wrote:

http://www.nationallampoon.com/modst...ass/badass.asp

Man. I can still remember when National Lampoon was funny. I'm old and
showing my age.

It seemed like they decided tht the more words they put out, the funnier
it would be. But by the time you got to the end of an article, you'd
forgotten why it should be funny.

The shame is, I picked up a MAD a few months ago just to see what's in
them today. I'd say they're killing the magazine.

It's pretty rank now. No more Dave Berg (he's dead, too bad). Some of
the movie parodies were hilarious. "Cool Hand Luke" = "Blue Eyed Kook".

Old April 26th 04, 02:20 AM
Top Sirloin

Sonarrat wrote:

The fact that the second definition of each word is the same speaks to how
thin the line is. And definitions vary widely... I am calling it racist to
be on the safe side and to put out a warning flag.

Why, are you the Usenet police?

It's well known that different races have many
differences physiologically besides skin color,
some of which accounts for the dominance of
certain racial groups in specific sports.

Does the recognition of reality make me a racist?

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com