A good time for 10km TT?

Old June 6th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default A good time for 10km TT?

Hi All,

Now that I know my time trial course is flat, I'd like to see how the
local riders stack up to others around the world.

The best guys in our club 10km TT are all just under 14 minutes. There
are a bunch under 14:30. They all have full-on TT bikes. How good are
these guys? What USCF cat-level is that, sort of?

I have a best of 15:45 on a regular bike. How good is that?

I don't have much else to compare because our road races are all rather
hilly I'm off the back (at 100kg+) and thus never get a clear picture
of where I stand. At least not any clearer than off-the-back somewhere!

Thanks,

Joseph

Old June 6th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

I have a best of 15:45 on a regular bike. How good is that?

Hi Joe.

I get the impression you are a nice guy. This really isn't the best
place for a nice guy to ask a question about his athletic performance.
You're liable to get a wild assortment of advice, accurate and
inaccurate. Some of the nicest members of the group are apt to address
you as 'dumbass,' while some of the worst members of the group are apt
to address you by your given name. It can be a confusing place before
you get used to it.

The answer to your question is already contained in the data you
provide. Your best time is only about 2 minutes slower than the best
guys in your club, who are using equipment that will give them a few
seconds advantage. Keep trying your best, train hard and smart, and
you'll gradually improve your time. Obviously, the best guys in the
world will go quite a bit faster, and we will never be one of the best
guys in the world. Try not to compare yourself to others too much.
Set challenging goals for yourself that will keep you motivated.

Finally, one of the best ways to improve your performance in a short
time trial like this is to master pacing. Starting too fast is
detrimental. This has been discussed in this forum so a search for
'pacing time trial' should yield some information.

-RJ

Old June 6th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
Hi All,

Now that I know my time trial course is flat, I'd like to see how the
local riders stack up to others around the world.

The best guys in our club 10km TT are all just under 14 minutes. There
are a bunch under 14:30. They all have full-on TT bikes. How good are
these guys? What USCF cat-level is that, sort of?

I have a best of 15:45 on a regular bike. How good is that?

I don't have much else to compare because our road races are all rather
hilly I'm off the back (at 100kg+) and thus never get a clear picture
of where I stand. At least not any clearer than off-the-back somewhere!

You'd be pretty good if you could average 25 mph on a flat TT course as
an amateur. That would imply that 6.2 miles at 25 mph would take 14:53.
You speed is a little over 23.6 mph and is certainly nothing to sneeze
at but hardly in the top end of your catagory.

DO NOT use a TT bike since those guys are riding well below the speed
at which a TT bike would make any significant contribution. You'd be
able to get the same boost simply by riding with your hands next to the
stem and you head as far down as you can get it.

All of the normal aero stuff would reduce your times somewhat but at
this point your physical condition is your limiting factor and not the
drag. Work on yourself first before going to the easy stuff.

Old June 6th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 6 Jun 2006 10:53:41 -0700, wrote:

I actually prefer the roughness of this group to the false veneer of
civility often found on other groups.

Yessss!

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit
http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Old June 7th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

says...

Hey, Joe, where ya goin' with yer eyes closed?

The best guys in our club 10km TT are all just under 14 minutes. There
are a bunch under 14:30. They all have full-on TT bikes. How good are
these guys? What USCF cat-level is that, sort of?

14 minutes ~ 26.6 mph

14.5 minutes ~ 25.7 mph

15.75 minutes ~ 23.6 mph

Sorry, I still have to think in mph for TTs. Top tour riders do well over 30
mph in much longer TTs, so 14 minutes for 10K is nowhere near world class. I've
seen cat 3 riders go faster on a 10 mile TT that was reasonably flat. I
personally have done just a handful of TTs shorter than 10 miles. For sure
fitness is key on the short races but to me, attitude on the day of the race was
always a huge factor on the many 10 milers I've done. If you can get mentally
ready to suffer and then not blow it by going out too fast or too slow, then at
least you will get to suffer even if you have a slow day.

23.6 is nothing to laugh at. If you stick with it, you'll probably beat that
time. The advice given you here is solid, although unlike Tom, I recommend you
to absolutely, positively get yourself a full-on TT bike. ****, if I went out
and laid down the big bucks for a new ride, I'm damn sure I'd kick the ****
outta my PR. Go do it and if you puke all over those snazz aero bars, you can
curse me at will.

Old June 7th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

joseph.santaniello wrote:
I actually prefer the roughness of this group to the false veneer of
civility often found on other groups.

Note to rbr: We really need to work harder at becoming less civil (ised).
Is there any dope that we can take that will help us improve ?