Basso: 'I have had no contact from any judge, investigator, the UCI'

Old July 2nd 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Basso: 'I have had no contact from any judge, investigator, the UCI'

Chris wrote:
So, even if the bags of blood are theirs, that doesn't mean they have
transfused any of it back into their bodies, at best the argument might be
it was contemplated, so no crime committed.

It's exactly what I am thinking... even if they link the bags, they
might need to link reinfusement. I'm not a legal expert to see how far
you can contend on those grounds (they are thin for sure).

Old July 2nd 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

in message , Frank Drackman
') wrote:

Nope, the riders knew the rules when they signed a Pro Tour contract.
If
they were named in a legitimate doping investigation they couldn't
ride. If they didn't like the clause they have declined to sign and
sought employment elsewhere.

I acknowledge that's the rule, but this rule does make it very easy to
manipulate cycling, if, as I've suggested before, you want to set up a
cycling fraud. If you can bet against all the favourites for an event,
and then ensure that none of the favourites can start, you /will/ clean
up. All the favourites /have/ been prevented from starting, on evidence
which as I understand it is all still circumstantial.

I know I'm grasping at straws her, but please, guys, let me grasp.

No, I'm not naive enough to believe that they're all clean really. Au
contraire, I think we've caught just one doping clinic, and we know of
the existence of at least one other (and there are probably more). It
isn't wrong that (some of) my heros get kicked out of the tour: what's
wrong that some people get kicked out, while others who are equally
tainted are allowed to ride.

; ... of course nothing said here will be taken notice of by
; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or
; www-html. -- George Lund

Old July 2nd 06, 10:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Simon Brooke wrote:
Quote from:
http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/new...s/10193.0.html

"Riis still believes me. I told him I have nothing to do with the Fuentes
story, but he said I was suspended until all this business is over. Now
my lawyers will be doing the talking for me," Basso said. "I have had no
contact from any judge, any investigator, no one from the UCI. I left
because of the Ethics Code, there was no other option, but I have
nothing to hide."

What gets me is the line 'I have had no contact from any judge, any
investigator, no one from the UCI'. These people - Basso, Ullrich,
Mancebo and all the others - are having their livelihood literally taken
away from them. Their reputations are being tarnished for ever. For
Ullrich in particular this is possibly his last real chance to win the
Tour again.

And the people making the accusations don't even have the guts to pick up
the phone and ask to hear the accused's side of the story. It makes you
sick. I'm not asking for justice here - in a case like this 'justice'
may be too abstract a concept. But, for heaven's sake, just basic human
decency.

;; Want to know what SCO stands for?
;; http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030605

What I find strange about this affair, is that the documents were only
delivered on Friday, just in time to really screw everthing up.
Couldn't they have been ready a week ago ?

Alex

Old July 2nd 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
[...]

One of the things that get sme about this latest *cycling* scandal... and
this is most certianly *not* a defence of any lying, cheating b*st*rds out
there.

Is this actually a *cycling* scandal? Originally it was put out that some
200'ish sports' people were implicated in this scandal, of which about 50
were cyclists...

....why then is this being painted in the media as purely a *cycling*
scandal?

.... why is no journalist, as far as I can find in the media looking to find
out who the non-cycling cheats are?

.... why there appears to be no overt reaction from the sporting bodies that
are non-cycling about rooting out the cheats?

If someone cheats, he or she deserves to be banned... but this isn't *just*
about cycling... so why are the other sports appearing to be getting away
with it?

Cheers, helen s

Old July 2nd 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wafflycat a écrit :

One of the things that get sme about this latest *cycling* scandal...
and this is most certianly *not* a defence of any lying, cheating
b*st*rds out there.

Is this actually a *cycling* scandal? Originally it was put out that
some 200'ish sports' people were implicated in this scandal, of which
about 50 were cyclists...

....why then is this being painted in the media as purely a *cycling*
scandal?

Or rather, a MEDICAL scandal. Perhaps PHARMACEUTICAL scandal.
And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.

--

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR
Old July 2nd 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Sandy wrote:

And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.

i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
depressed, so what's the point of that?

heather

Old July 2nd 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

h squared a écrit :
Sandy wrote:

And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.

i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
depressed, so what's the point of that?

heather

I guess US viewers have had little interest since (not) qualifying.
Here, we were in the streets until 3AM.

--

Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR
Old July 2nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Sandy wrote:

h squared a écrit :

Sandy wrote:

And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.

i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
depressed, so what's the point of that?

heather

I guess US viewers have had little interest since (not) qualifying.
Here, we were in the streets until 3AM.

no, i meant watching the tour makes me depressed, not the world cup

my bf watches the world cup- the last time it came around i found him up
at 3am in front of the tv with a big thermos of coffee, just so he could
watch it live. (normally he struggles to get up at 6am to go to work, lol)

Old July 2nd 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"h squared" wrote in message

i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
depressed, so what's the point of that?

Stay away from Pantani's associates.

Old July 2nd 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"h squared" wrote in message

i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
depressed, so what's the point of that?

Stay away from Pantani's associates.

it's stupid of me to be depressed, i agree.