Basso: 'I have had no contact from any judge, investigator, the UCI'

Old July 2nd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Basso: 'I have had no contact from any judge, investigator, the UCI'

Tom Kunich wrote:
When motorcycle helmet laws came up I was working in a motorcycle shop

Goody, a helmet thread just in time for the TDF.

Old July 2nd 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

h squared wrote:
it's stupid of me to be depressed, i agree.

Probably to much commuting leading to existential angst. Buy yourself a
copy of 'the scream'.

Old July 2nd 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:14:20 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

And the people making the accusations don't even have the guts to pick up
the phone and ask to hear the accused's side of the story. It makes you
sick.

Their timeline isn't your timeline. Due process only requires that the
accused get their moment to speak. Basso can afford lawyers. Unless
there is a mob with a rope ready to take Ullrich and Basso (OK, I
guess a mob with two ropes or little sense of clean justice) out to a
tree and lynch today, we can wait.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old July 2nd 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:16:36 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

Yup. Almost certainly it has. If it was clear evidence, would we not know
about it by now? What motivation would anyone have for withholding
information on such clear evidence? The silence implies that it does not
link anyone important with the blood.

Why this presumption? Anyone heard about collection labs/agencies
drawing blood to use as a necessary donor match? Since protocols and
procedures exist to get to a 99.95% match, they won't go to court
without doing exactly that.

When the riders have been approached to do a controlled collection to
provide the best match results, and about two weeks have passed, then
you can probably start talking about 'certainly has'.

The funny thing is, if the standards are low and you have a procedure
that can be typed as 70% accurate, you can win the case; come in with
70% when the standard is just below 100% and they'll send you back to
school.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old July 2nd 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Donald Munro wrote:
h squared wrote:

it's stupid of me to be depressed, i agree.

Probably to much commuting leading to existential angst. Buy yourself a
copy of 'the scream'.

Or just steal it.
Old July 2nd 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

in message , h squared
') wrote:

Sandy wrote:

And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.

i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
depressed, so what's the point of that?

I'm watching.

It was great to see the Bouygues boys out in the break, it was great to
yell for Tom Boonen even if he went too early and couldn't do it, it was
shocking to see the blood spray off Thor Hushovd's arm - I didn't think
that actually happened, I thought that was just a slasher movie
convention. What a way to mess up a yellow jersey! What happened to his
2004 one? Did that get ripped in the crash?

I'm sorry that those who've gone have gone. I'm still hoping that some of
them will be cleared. I'm sorry that some who are still riding are at
least equally tainted. But... Life wouldn't be the same without these
guys. Seeing Big Magnus winding up for the sprint. Desperately trying to
identify which of the Bouygues guys have gone in the break. Seeing the
peloton in full flight, that blurring mass of colour and talent.

I simply cannot see the drugs issue in black and white. It isn't. Yes,
I'm half convinced that the need to clean up the sport is sufficiently
urgent for draconian measures to need to be taken, but for me personally
Basso is still a hero even if he doped (and Headstrong is still a
villain even if he didn't).

So I'll still be bouncing on the sofa yelling for Bouygues and CSC and
for people like Tom Boonen and Big Maggie and Axel Mercx and possibly
even David Millar (I really liked his attitude in his post-prologue
interview yesterday), I'll still be watching out in other races for
Leonardo Piepolli and Nick Nuyens.

Yes, yet another scandal has taken a bit of the gloss off but I'm
surprised how little, really, for me. Let's face it, in this sport we're
used to scandals.

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

Old July 2nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article ,
h squared wrote:

Sandy wrote:

And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.

i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
depressed, so what's the point of that?

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Or something.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 2nd 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:08:47 -0700, Howard Kveck
wrote:

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Or something.

With the problem being, of course, all those things that can kill you.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old July 2nd 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:08:47 -0700, Howard Kveck
wrote:

In article ,
h squared wrote:

Sandy wrote:

And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.

i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
depressed, so what's the point of that?

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Or something.

And eventually something will.

Ron
Old July 3rd 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

in message , Curtis L.

wrote:

And the people making the accusations don't even have the guts to pick
up the phone and ask to hear the accused's side of the story. It makes
you sick.

Their timeline isn't your timeline. Due process only requires that the
accused get their moment to speak. Basso can afford lawyers. Unless
there is a mob with a rope ready to take Ullrich and Basso (OK, I
guess a mob with two ropes or little sense of clean justice) out to a
tree and lynch today, we can wait.

They did. Didn't you notice?

Ullrich has almost certainly been robbed - permanently - of his last
chance for a second Tour win. Basso has almost certainly been robbed -
permanently - of his best chance to win the Giro and the Tour in one
year. You can never give those things back to them.

If, after all this, either or both is found to be innocent, are you going
to say 'sorry, lads, no offence meant'?

;; better than your average performing pineapple