More California

Old August 21st 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default More California

Hi All,

My relocation plans are starting to take shape. I am going to
California next week to have a look around. No bike riding, but plenty
of driving. The plan is for me to see as much as I can so I can make a
"short list" of potential areas which I will visit again in October
with my wife and kids so they can see and make a final descision
later.

I have I beileve enough info for most of the places I will check out,
but I recently became interested in Santa Maria. Can someone fill me
in on what the racing/riding scene is like there? How far do you have
to ride to be out of range of stop signs, etc. In general what is it
like? Any suggestions on particular things/places I should check out
when I am in the area?

Thanks!

Joseph

Old August 22nd 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Aug 21, 2:03 pm, "
wrote:
Hi All,

My relocation plans are starting to take shape. I am going to
California next week to have a look around. No bike riding, but plenty
of driving. The plan is for me to see as much as I can so I can make a
"short list" of potential areas which I will visit again in October
with my wife and kids so they can see and make a final descision
later.

The bike riding and weather are the best. "We" have a rotten,
burdensome, and corrupt commie-fascist state guvmint though, so get
ready to pay a lofty sun tax anywhere in the state.

I have I beileve enough info for most of the places I will check out,
but I recently became interested in Santa Maria. Can someone fill me
in on what the racing/riding scene is like there? How far do you have
to ride to be out of range of stop signs, etc. In general what is it
like? Any suggestions on particular things/places I should check out
when I am in the area?

I lived in Santa Cruz for 18 years, and now live in Sonoma County.
There is great riding in both. Personally I prefer Santa Cruz -- it is
on the north end of the Monterey Bay. In Santa Cruz, The Saturday
Ride is legendary -- basically it is an informal free training race.
The same goes for the Tuesday Night Piggies ride, which is very
hard. We used to do Thursdays too, and Sundays.

Santa Rosa (Sonoma Co.) has a training crit on Tuesday nights where
the time is split into three different "categorized" races. It is
flat, a circle, very boring and costs money. There is no comptetition
on that score with Santa Cruz's Tuesday Piggies ride. There are
probably more total routes to ride in Sonoma County than Santa Cruz,
but you won't get bored in either countryside.

Santa Rosa is a commie haven. Santa Cruz makes Santa Rosa seem right
wing. Very amusing, even though criminal. My free advice is to
alternate making fun of them to ignoring them. Enjoy everything.

Old August 22nd 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark Fennell

joseph santaniello wrote:
I have I beileve enough info for most of the places I will check out,
but I recently became interested in Santa Maria. Can someone fill me
in on what the racing/riding scene is like there?

I hope you like wind! Seriously though, Santa Maria is a great place for
riding.

As for racing, it's good news/bad news... there's a somewhat active racing
community right in Santa Maria, but not as big as nearby San Luis Obispo (to
the north) or Santa Barbara (to the south). But the main drawback is that
you'll generally be at least 2-3 hours drive from most of the races. Santa
Maria, just like the rest of Central California, is in between the racing
hotbeds of LA/OC/San Diego and the Bay Area. But you could turn that around
and recognize that you usually have two equidistant race options every
weekend. Also, I'm pretty sure there are regular group rides and training
races in Santa Maria, but certainly you could find rides of any level ride
you wanted by going to SLO or SB. Plus, if you're into centuries, the
world-famous Solvang Century goes right through Santa Maria (it even has a
start location there).

How far do you have to ride to be out of range of stop signs, etc.

Not far at all. Couple miles at most and you're in the Santa Ynez Valley
which has some of the best riding in the state. Like I've mentioned before
to someone in rbr, there's a reason many pro teams hold training camps
there.

In general what is it like?

The town or the cycling? The town is growing fast, with lots of housing
tracts sprouting up. It's an agricultural economy mostly. Lot's of vineyards
and strawberry fields. The riding is really good and the weather over most
of the winter is better than the rest of the state.

Any suggestions on particular things/places I should check out
when I am in the area?

Go climb Figueroa Mtn. Visit some wineries. Go to Los Alamos and eat at
American Flat Bread Pizza (only open Fri/Sat nights). Visit SLO and SB. Go
to the beach.

Here are some cycling resources for the area....
http://www.slocycling.org
http://www.teamtailwinds.com
http://ridesb.com

Good luck!

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Old August 22nd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 21, 2:03 pm, "
wrote:
Hi All,

My relocation plans are starting to take shape. I am going to
California next week to have a look around. No bike riding, but plenty
of driving. The plan is for me to see as much as I can so I can make a
"short list" of potential areas which I will visit again in October
with my wife and kids so they can see and make a final descision
later.

I have I beileve enough info for most of the places I will check out,
but I recently became interested in Santa Maria. Can someone fill me
in on what the racing/riding scene is like there? How far do you have
to ride to be out of range of stop signs, etc. In general what is it
like? Any suggestions on particular things/places I should check out
when I am in the area?

As Slave says, northern California is a great place to ride but a
particularly nasty area to work in. The commies are intent on
destroying any businesses and slowly managing to kill the goose that
laid the golden egg. If you have a good job it is sometimes funny to
watch them building their own nooses to hang themselves with. For
instance, Berkeley insisted on giving students at Cal the right to
vote in Berkeley elections. Berkeley was really a hotbed of
electronics and biotech development. The numbers of startups there
were probably the highest in the nation and maybe the world. Now there
are essentially no startups there, all of the electronics firms and
all of the biotech firms are gone. One company I worked for was
threatened closure for having "dangerous chemicals on site". What were
these "dangerous chemicals"? Two unopened cans of motor oil used in
the machine shop to lubricate the lath and mill bearings.

Santa Maria is a strange place. It varies from decade to decade as a
good place or not to raise children. Of course good parents can raise
good kids anywhere but it helps if all of the local kids aren't
thieves, druggies or worse (think of Moab). The riding is good but
somewhat limited because there are so many cars down there and so few
roads. But even the old farts are faster than hell. And the length of
rides is sort of farther than I'm used to because most of the routes
are flat though often windy.

Up here in northern California we do 30-50 miles usually with a good
deal of climbing. Down there a 50 mile ride isn't any big deal.

Santa Rosa is pretty much the ideal country if you have a job though
the roads are narrow without shoulder and the drivers ought to be
ripped from their cars and beaten to a pulp about every other trip.
San Francisco bay area is absolutely spectacular with any kind of
riding you could want. But the cost of living is high, the local
governments are looney tunes and the population never stops growing.
On the other hand the racing is first rate, the good thing about
looney tunes governments is that they discourage land development in
the best places - such as Tunitas Creek Rd and west Old LaHonda Rd
etc.

So, there's good and bad about just about any place in California. The
central valley around Sacramento is a good place to live and work but
it is hot. SF bay area is a good place to live and work but you have
to be ready to change jobs at a moments notice (since '67 I've worked
at 41 jobs in electronics! My favorite was a company that hired me on
Friday and when I came to work on Monday the building was empty.)

Southern California is a great deal more stable, the weather is better
for most of the year but the riding isn't nearly as varied or scenic.
You makes your choice and you takes what you get.

Old August 23rd 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bleet Norf

Oh, MEW MEW MEW

Whatever, a$$bite. You have no money, no clue, and no future. Enjoy
your time in hell.

Old August 23rd 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

One of the things I like best about Berkeley is that it drives Tom
nuts.

Just sayin'.

Old August 23rd 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
BFWG

www.SharonFund.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

My relocation plans are starting to take shape. I am going to
California next week to have a look around. No bike riding, but plenty
of driving. The plan is for me to see as much as I can so I can make a
"short list" of potential areas which I will visit again in October
with my wife and kids so they can see and make a final descision
later.

I have I beileve enough info for most of the places I will check out,
but I recently became interested in Santa Maria. Can someone fill me
in on what the racing/riding scene is like there? How far do you have
to ride to be out of range of stop signs, etc. In general what is it
like? Any suggestions on particular things/places I should check out
when I am in the area?

Thanks!

Joseph

Lots of great riding in and around Santa Maria. And you'll be just 30
minutes south of San Luis Obispo, so even more options there, both road and
MTB (however, I've heard that most of the best single track riding on
Montana d'Oro and other locations is being closed to bikes lately). Beaches
are close (Pismo, Shell and Avila (I used to live in Avila Beach and love it
there... no matter the weather elsewhere, Avila almost always clears by
around noon... south facing beach I guess)) and lots of golf too (if that's
your bag). And one of THE best steak houses EVER, called the Hitching Post
out in Casmalia, about 20 minutes south and west of Santa Maria in the
middle of nowhere, but great open fire, red oak grilled beef
flesh....mmmm...

We used to ride out to the coast quite often, or down to Lompoc, or up to
Nipomo. Hwy 1 is just west out of town and leads to all sorts of nice
rides. But the wind is merciless... just get used to it, that's really the
only choice if you want to ride...

Old August 23rd 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 23, 6:31 am, "BFWG" wrote:
www.SharonFund.com

wrote in message

[...]

Sounds nice. As far as wind goes, this weather station is about 5km
from my house:

http://tinyurl.com/258xmh

I'm looking forward to a steak...

Joseph

In California... Andre Racing 5 February 16th 07 09:15 PM
something we need from california Andy Gee General 3 October 26th 05 09:56 PM
ha California! aeek Australia 0 August 16th 04 08:36 AM
ha California! aeek Australia 1 August 16th 04 07:08 AM
California here we come! shabby Unicycling 9 April 23rd 04 01:08 AM