Magilla: What is your position on Italian babes with cold sores?

Old October 5th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Max Payne

Default Magilla: What is your position on Italian babes with cold sores?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007...orlds074/fs068

Old October 5th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

"Max Payne" wrote in message

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007...otos/2007/worl
ds07/worlds074/fs068

One thread should be enough on that if you must, but it's unfortune that the
Italians have not said a single word about her marvelous solo breakaway in
their forum. She earned it, and it reminds me about what they say in 1992
when Watt won. They called it an evil lesson that any rider can win against
all odds, not just the creme at the front. A lesser relatively unknown rider
went solo off the front taking the gold and the glory. More then likely it
will be the highlight of her cycling career, but what an inspiring finish, I
though she had the right stuff! However, Marta should try out some Banana
boat Aloe Vera with vitamen E, great stuff to use on hot sunny days, and
would of hidden that from the camera!

http://tinyurl.com/duhlc

GBMT

Old October 6th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

"Max Payne" wrote in message

[...]

Well, not to get too philosophical, but another lesson that can be
gleaned is that one day race results are meaningless. But we already
know this from Fondriest's rainbow jersey. They amount to a roll of the
dice. However, in a big Tour, you can't fake it over 2-3 weeks.

So was Watt a worthy champion? Well, given that she could never really
repeat her performance in Barcelona, I would say no. Same with Sara
"I've sucked since Athens" Carrigan. Carrigan's win was a fluke - much
like Alexi Grewal's gold medal against a diluted "Olympic" field. When
Grewal went to Europe, he was clearly out of his league.

Yeah, those cole sores or whatever it is on Marta's upper lip should
have been dealt with by her handlers prior to propping her up on the
podium. It was probably just a bad case of chapped lips, I'm sure, but
it shows incredible ignorance of marketiing PR on a worldwide stage by
her people.

Magilla

Old October 6th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
stig

Magilla;

Fondriest's career was not to bad (even though he got the Rainbow
Jersey that was destined for Bauer):

Maurizio Fondriest1988 World Pro Road Race
1 stage, Tour of Switzerland
1990 Giro di Lazio
1991 World Cup Winner
1993 Milan - San Remo
Flèche Wallone
Championship of Zurich
Giro dell'Emilia
Tirreno - Adriatico
GP du Midi Libre
1 stage, Giro d'Italia
World Cup Winner
1994 Giro di Lazio
1995 1 stage, Giro d'Italia

TTFN.

Old October 6th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"MagillaGorilla" wrote in message

Well, not to get too philosophical, but another lesson that can be gleaned
is that one day race results are meaningless. But we already know this
from Fondriest's rainbow jersey. They amount to a roll of the dice.
However, in a big Tour, you can't fake it over 2-3 weeks.

Doping proves otherwise.

Old October 6th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Oct 6, 1:55 pm, stig wrote:
Magilla;

Fondriest's career was not to bad (even though he got the Rainbow
Jersey that was destined for Bauer):

Maurizio Fondriest1988 World Pro Road Race
1 stage, Tour of Switzerland
1990 Giro di Lazio
1991 World Cup Winner
1993 Milan - San Remo
Flèche Wallone
Championship of Zurich
Giro dell'Emilia
Tirreno - Adriatico
GP du Midi Libre
1 stage, Giro d'Italia
World Cup Winner
1994 Giro di Lazio
1995 1 stage, Giro d'Italia

TTFN.

Remember, this is the same guy who said all Eddy Merckx ever beat was
a bunch of factory workers.

Smokey

Old October 7th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Oct 6, 11:24 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 6, 1:55 pm, stig wrote:

Magilla;

Fondriest's career was not to bad (even though he got the Rainbow
Jersey that was destined for Bauer):

Maurizio Fondriest1988 World Pro Road Race
1 stage, Tour of Switzerland
1990 Giro di Lazio
1991 World Cup Winner
1993 Milan - San Remo
Flèche Wallone
Championship of Zurich
Giro dell'Emilia
Tirreno - Adriatico
GP du Midi Libre
1 stage, Giro d'Italia
World Cup Winner
1994 Giro di Lazio
1995 1 stage, Giro d'Italia

TTFN.

Remember, this is the same guy who said all Eddy Merckx ever beat was
a bunch of factory workers.

Smokey

If Eddy Merckx raced today in his prime, he wouldn't be riding off the
front like he did when the competition were a bunch of part-time pros
who made $5,000/year and worked in factories in the off-season.

The next thing you're going to tell me is Connie Carpenter Phinney was
the best female cyclist in the world.

You people in here always try to pawn off victories in eras with weak
competition as if they could pull that same **** today.

No way, José.

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

Lance Armstrong for one has been quoted as saying Merckx is the
greatest of all time. I think he knows a little more about cycling
than you do.

Smokey

Old October 7th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

wrote:

On Oct 6, 1:55 pm, stig wrote:

[...]

Lance is wrong. He probably says it out of some misguided Euro-thing
because if he didn't say that he would **** off 15 million zealots in
Europe. In this respect, Lance is the consummate politician.

Surely you don't believe that riders in the 1960's were faster than
today's pro peloton? Only a clueless jackass would think that.

Also, even if Lance truly believed that (he doesn't, trust me), it
wouldn't mean jack ****. If you put Lance and Eddy Merckx in a
head-to-head race (i.e. Tour de France) with both in their prime, Merckx
would finish 16 minutes down every time.

Go take a look at Merckx's time up Alpe d'Huez....it's slow as molasses
compared to what riders did in the past 15 years.

Sorry, Merckx was no doubt a great rider in his day, but if he raced
today he wouldn't be jack.

You people who beleive Merckx was the best of all time also believe in
Jesus. Somebody told you to beleive in Jesus and so you do. There's no
other ****ing analyis that goes into it other than repeating that Jesus
was the son of God simply because you MUST believe that. Your parents
told you it's true and that's all the prooof you need.

But smart people know that Jesus and God just aren't reality. They're
just some ****ed up fantasy society made up thousands of years ago to
help them deal with death, misery, and is perpetuated to this day by
idiots who can't think for themselves.

A lot of you people in here are dumb as napkins and your entire belief
system is hardly more complex than repeating myths you've heard others
say. There's no independent analysis and your entire argument and logic
sounds like someone in the Manson Family car on the way to Sharon Tate's
house.

Magilla
Old October 7th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Oct 7, 12:04 am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

Surely you don't believe that riders in the 1960's were faster than
today's pro peloton? Only a clueless jackass would think that.

Also, even if Lance truly believed that (he doesn't, trust me), it
wouldn't mean jack ****. If you put Lance and Eddy Merckx in a
head-to-head race (i.e. Tour de France) with both in their prime, Merckx
would finish 16 minutes down every time.

Go take a look at Merckx's time up Alpe d'Huez....it's slow as molasses
compared to what riders did in the past 15 years.

Ape of the Century,

Eddy Merckx never raced up l'Alpe d'Huez in his prime.
It was used in the 1952 Tour and the stage was won by
Coppi (who presumably also you'd point out was not a
patch on LANCE, but had much more style, admit it).
L'Alpe did not reappear in the Tour until 1976, when
Joop Zoetemelk won the stage. Merckx did not ride
the 1976 Tour; his Tour career was already on its way
out, as his last Tour victory was in 1974. In 1975
he finished 2nd and got punched in the kidney.
In 1977 the Tour went up L'Alpe and Merckx rode it;
I don't know his time, but he finished 6th in the Tour.
It was the last Tour he rode, and he retired in 1978.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpe_d'Huez

Of course, maybe you were talking about Axel Merckx's
time up L'Alpe. I don't know that either.

It is interesting that LANCE's best time on L'Alpe
is usually given as 37:36 (in an ITT, not at the end
of a long stage) and Coppi's 1952 time is claimed to
have been 45:22. 8 minutes difference is an eternity
in bike racing, but when Coppi rode it, the road wasn't
even paved.

Sorry, Merckx was no doubt a great rider in his day, but if he raced
today he wouldn't be jack.

This cuts to the chase. Who cares who did the fastest
time up Alpe d'Huez? You ride against the other people
in the race, not some clock or a number in a record
book. That's for triathletes. All this stuff about
what would happen if Eddy raced now or LANCE raced
then is for people who spend too much time playing
fantasy baseball.

You people who beleive Merckx was the best of all time also believe in
Jesus. Somebody told you to beleive in Jesus and so you do.

I believe in Jesus. I think I met him the other day at
work - I live in Arizona and there's several tens of
thousands of people named Jesus.

A lot of you people in here are dumb as napkins

I have to admit that the phrase "dumb as napkins"
redeems your entire post for me.

Ben
dumb as the Brawny paper towel guy