Magilla: What is your position on Italian babes with cold sores?

Old October 7th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default Magilla: What is your position on Italian babes with cold sores?

wrote:

On Oct 7, 3:25 pm, Wayne Pein wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

The past in most every sport had weak competition compared to today's
athletes and it this total lack of depth of competition that is the
single most important factor in appraising why Eddy Merckx was so
"great." Sure, he was "great," but only when the guys who took the
start line against him were factory workers in the off-season.

He wasn't racing against today's pros.

Who among today's pros can top his hour record?

Wayne

On a standard bicycle remember, not one of the "superman" jobs.

Smokey

Merckx set his hour record at altitude in Mexico City...the same place
Bob Beamon jumped over 29 feet. Plus, Merckx never had to pass a WADA
**** test either.

So be careful when you try to glorify Merckx. I won't even get into his
positive dope test.

Magilla
Old October 7th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Bill C wrote:

On Oct 7, 12:42 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 00:24:49 -0400, MagillaGorilla

On Oct 6, 1:55 pm, stig wrote:

Magilla;

Fondriest's career was not to bad (even though he got the Rainbow
Jersey that was destined for Bauer):

Maurizio Fondriest1988 World Pro Road Race
1 stage, Tour of Switzerland
1990 Giro di Lazio
1991 World Cup Winner
1993 Milan - San Remo
Flèche Wallone
Championship of Zurich
Giro dell'Emilia
Tirreno - Adriatico
GP du Midi Libre
1 stage, Giro d'Italia
World Cup Winner
1994 Giro di Lazio
1995 1 stage, Giro d'Italia

TTFN.

Remember, this is the same guy who said all Eddy Merckx ever beat was
a bunch of factory workers.

Smokey

If Eddy Merckx raced today in his prime, he wouldn't be riding off the
front like he did when the competition were a bunch of part-time pros
who made $5,000/year and worked in factories in the off-season.

The next thing you're going to tell me is Connie Carpenter Phinney was
the best female cyclist in the world.

You people in here always try to pawn off victories in eras with weak
competition as if they could pull that same **** today.

You might be right that Merckx today would not win 500 of 1800 bike races or
come away from all the tours with wins and ALL of the jerseys at any one tour.
That level of dominance is over for anyone. Still there's no question he would
still be one of the greats.

Ron

That's like saying if Margaret Court played tennis today she would be
one of the greats. Absolutely not true.

The past in most every sport had weak competition compared to today's
athletes and it this total lack of depth of competition that is the
single most important factor in appraising why Eddy Merckx was so
"great." Sure, he was "great," but only when the guys who took the
start line against him were factory workers in the off-season.

He wasn't racing against today's pros.

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

I can't believe you've got everyone's panties in a bunch with this.
Bet you can't believe it either.
Let's see. No **** Eddy spanked his competition, but just how good
they were, and how deep is debateable, but he was dominant. I'd argue
that they very well might have been competitive, as a group today, IF
they had come up today. I don't think the human physical differences
are as pronounced in cycling as they are in American football. The
players from the 60s were midgets compared to todays athletes.
I think in cycling the biggest difference is in knowledge, training,
and better chemistry. If Eddy had grown up in this age I still think
he'd be a top racer. Maybe not dominant, but pretty damned good.
Until we can catalog performance based on genetic makeup accurately
these projections are useless for anything other than BSing about.
Your still a virtuoso though.
Bill C

If Eddy Merckx grew up today, his dog's name would appear in the
Operacion Puerto dossier and he'd be fired from T-Mobile.

Thanks,

Magilla
Old October 8th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

MagillaGorilla wrote:

[...]

Yeah and all of today's pros are squeaky-clean. Hell, they all ride on
milk and cookies, everyone knows that.

Smokey

Old October 8th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"MagillaGorilla" wrote in message

Who among today's pros can top his hour record?

A lot of pros could have topped it, but there was no compelling financial
or professional reason to do it. The days of setting world records in
cycling just for the sake of setting them are over.

Top pros today train for high-profile results that will help get them a
better contract. The hour record doesn't do anything for a pro.

Why do you think both LeMond and Lance skipped the hour? Sure, Boardman
did it...and that's why he writes bike reviews for magazines now.

LeMond was too busy hunting turkeys and Lance was too busy hunting chicks.

Since you went as far back as the LeMond era, you seem to have overlooked
Indurain and Rominger, neither of whom had a compelling financial or
professional reason to do it. I think part of the reason that there hasn't
been much interest recently is the split records. How special is it to
break 49.700 km at this point? With the spectre of Boardman's 56.375, I'd
say not particularly. I'll concede that it's possible in the era of the
sound bite that the hour record may be passe'. Unify the record book to
currently acceptable TT equipment and I think interest would be greater.

Wonder why Hinault never gave it a try.

Old October 8th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

[...]

Rominger had Testarossa as his motor and that should tell you how he did
what he did. Indurain did it because it was the fad back then. But it
did nothing for him and in fact might have hurt him. Don't forget that
Indurain comes from the doping capital of the world.

But for the most part you hit the nail on the head in that anyone who
beats the traditional hour record of 49 now will still be substantially
slower than the "unlimited" hour of 56 mph. Then there's the altitude
vs. sea level record, indoor vs. outdoor...

The UCI and national cycling federations are great at diluting the
brand. Records use to be a big deal, but they no longer are because
they have so many caveats.

But the main reason why these records have waned amongst pros is because
they don't lead to money. And that's what the bottom line to all proos
is these days. Why add all that stress to your life to train for an
hour record if there's no financial gain for it? Most top pros who can
set a new hour record standard would rather spend their down time
****ing stewardesses in LA or cheating on their wife in Las Vegas.

There's no cashback for a world record. It's just a debit transaction.

Magilla
C.P.A.

Old October 8th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

MagillaGorilla wrote:

Carl Sundquist wrote:

[...]

Duh correction:

56 mph = 56 km

Magilla
Old October 8th 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

smokeystrodtman wrote:
Yeah and all of today's pros are squeaky-clean. Hell, they all ride on
milk and cookies, everyone knows that.

Dumbass,
I put flaxseed oil on my milk and cookies. It tastes almost as
**** as andouillette (and Hampsten won the Gavia stage) but it
works great.

Old October 8th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ewoud Dronkert

Donald Munro wrote:
andouillette

Thanks.

Thanks,

--
E. Dronkert
Old October 8th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

On Oct 6, 1:55 pm, stig wrote:

[...]

Of course not, he was racing against that eras pro's.

And yes there were pro's not just laborers with a side gig.

It's one thing to have a realistic appraisal of Eddie's abilities. It's another
to slag an entire generation of bike racers in order to insult him.
Old October 8th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:33:14 -0400, MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla wrote:

The past in most every sport had weak competition compared to today's
athletes and it this total lack of depth of competition that is the
single most important factor in appraising why Eddy Merckx was so
"great." Sure, he was "great," but only when the guys who took the
start line against him were factory workers in the off-season.

He wasn't racing against today's pros.

Who among today's pros can top his hour record?

Wayne

On a standard bicycle remember, not one of the "superman" jobs.

Smokey

Merckx set his hour record at altitude in Mexico City...the same place
Bob Beamon jumped over 29 feet.

As if Mexico City were responsible for either. The fact is, nobody's taking on
the Merckx record and there's a real good reason for that.

So be careful when you try to glorify Merckx. I won't even get into his
positive dope test.

You just did.