ASO still refusing to admit Astana in TDF

Old June 4th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default ASO still refusing to admit Astana in TDF

"hizark21" wrote in message
ASO still refusing to admit Astana in TDF (http://www.cyclingnews.com/
news.php?id=news/2008/jun08/jun04news ).

It's simply ridiculous that the ASO is refusing to let Astana enter
the TDF. The ASO should have put forth a set of condtions for Astana
to meet if they wished to enter the TDF. Astana is the dominant spring
team now and they deserve to ride in the TDF.

The Tour de France this year is one of the "Asterisk" races where the winner
will only be the winner because his real competition isn't there.

Old June 4th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Victor Kan

On Jun 4, 2:14 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
Bruyneel and Contador is the problem, Astana has nothing to do with it. '

Do you mean Bruyneel and Contador together are the problem, or each
individually are problems?

ASO says Contador by himself is not a problem:

http://velonews.com/article/77008/co...ep-with-vuelta

“We have nothing against Contador, but rather against the team’s
repeated errors,” Tour director Christian Prudhomme told the Spanish
wire service, EFE. “If Astana doesn’t have any problems in 2008, we
would take a different decision for the next edition of the Tour de
France.”

Old June 5th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:56:58 -0700 (PDT), hizark21
wrote:

ASO still refusing to admit Astana in TDF (http://www.cyclingnews.com/
news.php?id=news/2008/jun08/jun04news ).

It's simply ridiculous that the ASO is refusing to let Astana enter
the TDF. The ASO should have put forth a set of condtions for Astana
to meet if they wished to enter the TDF. Astana is the dominant spring
team now and they deserve to ride in the TDF.

I'm not saying I agree with ASO's decisions, but you don't get it.
They told Astana they'll let them in after a year with no scandals.
It's clear. Astana could sweep the top ten in every race they get
into, and that wouldn't help then get into the Tour of France. In
fact, it would probably hurt.

Indeed. Astana has ****ed in the Tour's soup twice now.
They've earned this.

ASO looks like the bad guy now.
They could invite Astana. The team
they replace could be recompensed.
Astana is hurt by their exclusion:
no exposure in the most widely seen
bicycle race. Astana takes the Vuelta.

--
Michael Press
Old June 5th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
dave a

Michael Press wrote:

wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, I suspect that one of the top stories during the TdF
will be the exclusion of Astana. That's still exposure.

Heck, if I were JB and ASO invited Astana at this point, I'd say "no
thanks, we only race the really competitive tours".

/dave a
Old June 5th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"dave a" wrote in message

ASO looks like the bad guy now. They could invite Astana. The team
they replace could be recompensed.
Astana is hurt by their exclusion: no exposure in the most widely seen
bicycle race. Astana takes the Vuelta.

On the other hand, I suspect that one of the top stories during the TdF
will be the exclusion of Astana. That's still exposure.

It's exposure, but it's minimal and it's not visual. If that type of
exposure was significantly beneficial, Unibet would still be around this
season as a sponsor.

Old June 5th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
m...
"hizark21" wrote in message
ASO still refusing to admit Astana in TDF (http://www.cyclingnews.com/
news.php?id=news/2008/jun08/jun04news ).

It's simply ridiculous that the ASO is refusing to let Astana enter
the TDF. The ASO should have put forth a set of condtions for Astana
to meet if they wished to enter the TDF. Astana is the dominant spring
team now and they deserve to ride in the TDF.

The Tour de France this year is one of the "Asterisk" races where the
winner will only be the winner because his real competition isn't there.

For that to happen it would take a guy like Cadel Evans to that he won't be
racing the TdF this year because, given the reduced stature of the event
without last year's winner, he would be better off sitting it out and
targeting the Olympic road race instead. I don't think that's likely to
happen.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old June 5th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
dave a

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"dave a" wrote in message

ASO looks like the bad guy now. They could invite Astana. The team
they replace could be recompensed.
Astana is hurt by their exclusion: no exposure in the most widely
seen bicycle race. Astana takes the Vuelta.

On the other hand, I suspect that one of the top stories during the
TdF will be the exclusion of Astana. That's still exposure.

It's exposure, but it's minimal and it's not visual. If that type of
exposure was significantly beneficial, Unibet would still be around this
season as a sponsor.

Unibet didn't win the Giro last year...

/dave a
Old June 5th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"dave a" wrote in message
Carl Sundquist wrote:

"dave a" wrote in message

ASO looks like the bad guy now. They could invite Astana. The team
they replace could be recompensed.
Astana is hurt by their exclusion: no exposure in the most widely seen
bicycle race. Astana takes the Vuelta.

On the other hand, I suspect that one of the top stories during the TdF
will be the exclusion of Astana. That's still exposure.

It's exposure, but it's minimal and it's not visual. If that type of
exposure was significantly beneficial, Unibet would still be around this
season as a sponsor.

Unibet didn't win the Giro last year...

/dave a

You're right. How big was the Basso story last year during the Tour? Did it
sustain itself as a top story for all three weeks?

Old June 5th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger[_3_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

And yet some believe that was possibly the cleanest Giro in a very long
time, specifically because Astana was there, which put everything under a
microscope.

Every year someone explains why cycling is finally clean. Every year.
Don't get me wrong, that's a good thing. Being stridently wrong about
this is what finally embarrassed Lafferty onto leaving.
Old June 5th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

dave a wrote:

On the other hand, I suspect that one of the top stories during the TdF
will be the exclusion of Astana. That's still exposure.

Astana doesn't sell anything. Exposure is meaningless.

I admit it, I am a wimp wafflycat UK 5 February 10th 06 12:21 PM
I admit it: I'm a poser! Erin Unicycling 8 January 29th 06 03:18 AM
I admit it: I'm a poser! johnfoss Unicycling 0 January 26th 06 07:44 PM
OK I admit I am a wimp. Maggie General 35 June 16th 05 12:04 AM
I admit it ... Steven L. Sheffield Racing 4 September 5th 04 06:45 PM